Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, well i was looking over my info on the CTS i ordered....iam getting Leatherette seating....what is that? Is it just sinthetic leather, or cloth?? If its cloth iam gona be realy disapointed.

·
Registered
22,415 Posts
When you order leather seats only the surfaces that you set on are leather. The rest is vinyl. Hard to tell the difference. But leather develops character as it ages. I like it and have had it on my last four cars.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Looked at them, it is a higher quality of vinyl ythat has aook and feel like Leather. The biggest difference I notice is that it was hard to the touch, not softer like the leather. You don't get that wonderful smell as well. Lok out for the Boneyards, I had one hear that had an 03 with the heated seats and the 2 tone for $250 a seat. This might be an option depending on your interior color and your desire to have the leather up front.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
It's basically soft vinyl. It doesn't breath like leather, but with AC who cares. My '65 Mustang seats make you sweat (it doesn't have AC) here in VA.

To be honest, it's hard to tell if you not looking carefully at the difference between real leather and 'leatherette' when it's new. Leather does wear over time and get "character wrinkles", just like us old guys, with age. It's much cheaper than leather, and why it's in the base model 2.8, most likely.

·
Registered
19 Posts
DeVillish said:
Ok, well i was looking over my info on the CTS i ordered....iam getting Leatherette seating....what is that? Is it just sinthetic leather, or cloth?? If its cloth iam gona be realy disapointed.
It's also known as "Pleather":bouncy:
... " Sir, this is a high quality "Dimondique" necklace, on GoldTone EuroWire" .... May I put it on your Credit Card?? ":bang2:

·
Registered
362 Posts
All the 05's and 06' that came/are comming to Canada have full leather in the 2.8 and 3.6, as a factory incentive ( I think its called the n/c 1sa package). None-the-less, even 'leather seating' often times use alot of leatherette, even on the surface of the seats, such as the side bolsterings. This is to reduce the areas that leather typically wears really bad. Leatherette still smells very similar to leather and you can't really tell if a high quality leatherette is used. Alot of people prefer leatherette simply because it does not wear, and looks new for years, leather creases and cracks....some people like that character with time...

·
Registered
105 Posts
haute_heir said:
All the 05's and 06' that came/are comming to Canada have full leather in the 2.8 and 3.6, as a factory incentive ( I think its called the n/c 1sa package).
Hmm, Thats odd. I am from Canada and the 2.8's I was looking at all had the fake leather and the 3.8's had real leather. When I sat in the 2.8's and then in the 3.6's there was definatley a difference. There was a huge difference in feel and smell inside the vehicle. Plus the 3.6's had a big tag on the seat with a peice of leather on it with a write up on the leather and the 2.8's did not. In addition the sales person even informed me that the seating in the 3.6 would feel nicer since it was real leather.

Also I was told that the 3.6 had Leather seating surfaces but some time in 05 it was changed Full leather.

I agree though that real leather has to be taken care of in order to look new in the years to come. But with Leather conditioner and care it looks new for years.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I think you may be right, as my car didn't arrive until June 05. I know for sure that all the ones delivered to calgary after mid. may came with 'full leather' as part of a n/c package from the factory. I have the package # on my window sticker, but that would be in my glovebox, not in my office. Mine had the leather tag on the seat as well, and I know the interior was identical to the 3.6 I was also looking at. I think it's funny that all the 2.8 in North America wouldn't have had the same full leather as a n/c package group...hmmm...

·
Registered
105 Posts
haute_heir said:
I think you may be right, as my car didn't arrive until June 05. I know for sure that all the ones delivered to calgary after mid. may came with 'full leather' as part of a n/c package from the factory. I have the package # on my window sticker, but that would be in my glovebox, not in my office. Mine had the leather tag on the seat as well, and I know the interior was identical to the 3.6 I was also looking at. I think it's funny that all the 2.8 in North America wouldn't have had the same full leather as a n/c package group...hmmm...
I actually have to go to the dealer tomorrow so I will take a look at the 2.8's and double check.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
If you do have the leather, it's recommended that you only use warm water & soap to clean the seat. Leather conditioner can cause damage to the seats.

·
Registered
105 Posts
05CTS said:
If you do have the leather, it's recommended that you only use warm water & soap to clean the seat. Leather conditioner can cause damage to the seats.
You dont use leather conditioner to clean the seats. The leather conditioner helps keep the leather from drying and cracking. A good high quality leather conditioner wont harm it. I have been using it for years.

·
Registered
22 Posts
i have a 2005 caddy built in june and delivered to alberta..wanted leather but it was not in stock..having now lived with the leatherette for 2 months, including driving in just above 0 Celsius weather with it, i have no concerns with it..easy to clean, it's definitely a better quality leatherette and even a guy who walks for me with a grand prix with leather thought it was leather..why? i told him so:) he even said you gotta love the smell of new leather..

·
Registered
86 Posts
I hate to break to you but the leather "smell" is not natural it is added after the hides are tanned and shaved. As a supplier to Prime Tanning and Eagle-Ottawa who supplies the leather to Cadillac the hides are turned in a drum where they are mixed with various chemicals and acids such as chromic acid. This removes the blood, hair etc. The hides come out a light blue in color. The hides are approx. 1/2-3/4" thick and are then sliced to get suede and other grades of leather. The color and smell are not natural by any means. I can't tell you how many bar bets I won arguing this point. Believe me -cows don't smell that good:)
haute_heir said:
All the 05's and 06' that came/are comming to Canada have full leather in the 2.8 and 3.6, as a factory incentive ( I think its called the n/c 1sa package). None-the-less, even 'leather seating' often times use alot of leatherette, even on the surface of the seats, such as the side bolsterings. This is to reduce the areas that leather typically wears really bad. Leatherette still smells very similar to leather and you can't really tell if a high quality leatherette is used. Alot of people prefer leatherette simply because it does not wear, and looks new for years, leather creases and cracks....some people like that character with time...

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Mannyiac said:
I hate to break to you but the leather "smell" is not natural it is added after the hides are tanned and shaved. As a supplier to Prime Tanning and Eagle-Ottawa who supplies the leather to Cadillac the hides are turned in a drum where they are mixed with various chemicals and acids such as chromic acid. This removes the blood, hair etc. The hides come out a light blue in color. The hides are approx. 1/2-3/4" thick and are then sliced to get suede and other grades of leather. The color and smell are not natural by any means. I can't tell you how many bar bets I won arguing this point. Believe me -cows don't smell that good:)
It's true. Furthermore, Cadillac has even devised a scent that enhances the "new car leather" smell and applies it to all their new cars. It comes in a bottle that is thousands of times stronger than the normal smells of the harmful organic compounds associated with that new car smell.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
18 Participants
Smokin' 04 CTS