Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Brougham, 1990 Brougham d'elgance 1979 Coupe
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in the city Tuesday, so I stopped at the paint store. Ive been planning on at least trying to dye the front seat bottoms on my 90 Brougham. They didn't have the color in a spray can, but they said they could mix me a pint up. So I had too take the center console lid off and bring it back inside. The feller was extremely helpful, he said some spray the dye on and some use a foam brush. What he mixed up is a perfect <and I mean perfect> match.

So other than a few youtube videos I didn't have a clue of how to do it. The seats are the pillow seats with a bunch of buttons in the middle. The seats were already super clean. I started on one section. I used 180grit cloth back sand paper. Cloth backed from a roll because its stiff. Sanded the section down till it felt smooth, cleaned what I sanded with a shop vac and wiped it down with a rag with some brake cleaner sprayed on it. Put a coat on, and had a few beer while it dried. The color looked perfect but the finish looked terriable due to the original finish having a lot of cracks. So a little frustrated, I sanded the aera down again, and put another coat. Had a few beers while it dried, it looked a little better, repeated the process several more times, and it looked fantastic.
So on the next section I got a little aggressive and used 80 girt to start, then switched to 180, wound repaiting the process with 180 3 times. I had one seam that the stiching was pulled apart, I put gel super glue and taped it closed and let it sit overnite. Finished the seat the next day, the parts of the seat that didn't have cracks in the finish weren't quite so bad. I also did the steering wheel, which didn't require any sanding, it took 3 coats. I did the center dounsould lit which was already in good shape, and it turned out perfect.

I figure I have about 6 hours in the passenger seat bottom. Considering I was going to get them re done Im am thrilled on how it turned out.

I used SEM dye, its kind of pricey, 36$ for a pint, but I should have enough to do the drivers seat bottom and touch up the rear seat slightly.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That definitely gives some hope to those of us having trouble finding appropriately-coloured seating components. :)
Im interested how it will wear. I honestly thought I was pping money away, but the stuff worked out real nice for me.

·
Registered
96 Fleetwood, 94 Fleetwood, 07 CTS, & 94 Caprice Wgn
637 Posts
Is it dye or vinyl paint?
SEM Color Coat is not a dye, but a fade resistant flexible and permanent coating (from their website).

I have used SEM products for the best part of 10 years. They have great products. I have SEM'd vinyl, leather, hard plastic, rug. I even did a vinyl top on a 1976 Chrysler New Yorker. It was as tired as it gets and when I finished it looked brand new. To make it work and last you need to carefully follow instructions and use SEM soap and SEM Vinyl Prep. This is very important.

SEM can be custom mixed. I use VinylPro (http://www.vinylpro.com) from Atlanta as they can mix any color, as not all dealers can; they just sell standard colors. Here is the SEM chart: http://www.semproducts.com/resources/15-formulas

I know several guys who have completely changed the color of the interior of their cars. Seven or eight years later, it still looks great.

Tom

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SEM Sure-coat <hope I didn't confuse anyone> is what I used, it works for leather or vinyl, but its not recommended for hard plastics.

As I say the feller at the paint shop mixed me a pint. I could be air brushed, but I figured a sponge brush was worth a try, and it worked.

My 79 has some slight wear on the drivers seat, I wasn't going to mess with it but I think now its worth a try. Its not a "solid" like the dark blue 90. Im not sure how to do it, but will get a scrap piece of vinyl before I try it on the car. It has splotches of dark mixed in, what I had mixed is slightly lighter because the paint shop said he was out of red, he said I could bring it back next week if I need it to be tinted. I also got a small amount of black.My plan is to but a coat or 2 of the solid color and then darken some with the black and either air brush some on or lightly tap some on with a sponge brush.

The link that silverfox posted has some pretty good videos.

From what I have learned I would NOT use a spray, I would take a headrest or something and have the dye mixed at a local paint shop that sells the product.

If someone is willing to post some pics I could text some???

·
Registered
5 Posts
I used duplicolor vinyl and fabric spray on my seats for a 66 thunderbird. Turned out great. But if you already have creases in the leather/vinyl/fabric, they will start to show up again after a while. It will not rub off on your clothes. Friend used it on his fabric bucket seats to change the color and they also look fine. I did the door panels also.

·
Registered
2008 DTS 1980 CDV. Past 1990 Bro. 1981 SDV diesel
360 Posts
I'm going to dy the DeElegance seats I picked up last year in a couple of weeks. I never thought of sanding the surface prior. I dyed all of the interior minus the seats in my 1975 GrandVille convertible two years ago. You can't scratch it of with a screwdriver.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm going to dy the DeElegance seats I picked up last year in a couple of weeks. I never thought of sanding the surface prior. I dyed all of the interior minus the seats in my 1975 GrandVille convertible two years ago. You can't scratch it of with a screwdriver.
http://www.harborfreight.com/2-34-in-x-25-ft-Grit-Sandpaper-Roll-61191.html

This is what I sanded with except I used 180 grit. Go slow and don't sand the stiches.

Im thrilled how the stuff works, I was planning to get the seats redone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts