Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Thats interesting...... maybe I should try it!!!!

·
Registered
'05 Expedition
7,651 Posts
I've used the Kiwi stuff for shoes. It works pretty well on spills and stains. They also make some stuff called NEATSFOOT oil that is outstanding for dried out, brittle leather.

Good old fashioned saddle soap works well on dried out leather, too.

The best stuff I've read about is called "Leatherique" and they have a website. http://www.leatherique.com/ (duh) I hope I never have to use it. Looks pretty potent.

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
Elvis said:
I've used the Kiwi stuff for shoes. It works pretty well on spills and stains. They also make some stuff called NEATSFOOT oil that is outstanding for dried out, brittle leather.

Good old fashioned saddle soap works well on dried out leather, too.

The best stuff I've read about is called "Leatherique" and they have a website. http://www.leatherique.com/ (duh) I hope I never have to use it. Looks pretty potent.

Leatherique is more a restore product than a maintance cleaner type product

·
Registered
15 Posts
hcvone said:
I've used the Kiwi stuff for shoes.
I think there is a dye in shoe polish. If a dab or streak of polish is left on the leather, won't it smear onto clothes?

It'll make the wife AWFULLY mad! :mad:

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
You'd want shoe cleaner not shoe polish. Anyway I got this spray on foamy stuff from Just for Feet, called Sof Sole Instant Cleaner, it works really well on my leather shoes, I don't know about car leather but yeah.

·
Registered
1996 Fleetwood
2,536 Posts
Go to horse and tack shops. There's a cleaner/conditioner called Bic 4. Specifically designed for use on leather that sees rough times. Best stuff I've met. Armor All also makes a good cleaner and protectant.

·
Registered
'05 Expedition
7,651 Posts
This is a little off-topic, but...

The other day I was watching an old movie called "Giant." It starred Rock Hudson, Liz Taylor, & James Dean. Not a bad flick.

ANYWAY, there was an old 1930's Caddy convertible in the movie, and the seats were leather. But they weren't the kind of leather you see on cars today. This was heavy, saddle-grade leather in pretty good shape. The movie was made in the 50's, so the car was probably at least 20 years old at the time. And you KNOW it spent a lot of time baking in the sun, just like saddles do.

My grandfather always said that leather will last forever if properly taken care of. It's alive. Just keep it lubricated and protected.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts