Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Seville SLS 03
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, today i'm having my water pump replaced for $312. I thought that was relatively high because i'm sure i've seen some people on here mention that it typically costs $250. Anyway, this post is about my mechanic mentioning that my valve covers are leaking and that it is dripping onto the bushings and eventually start rotting away the bushing. How true is this? Will the leaking oil really affect the engine bushings?? Are we talking 10 years or 10 months? :(

2003 Seville SLS 97,000m

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
72,791 Posts
He may be talking about oil on the motor mounts. Do you see drips or puddles of oil on the ground under the car, and if so, exactly where ??? Use a large sheet of cardboard as a locator - find the drips.

A Northstar may drip oil from valve (cam) cover(s), oil level sensor threads, oil pressure sending unit, the oil pan silicone seal, the halfcase silicone seal, power steering hoses/steering rack, the rear engine crankshaft seal, the transmission.....you gotta find it before you fix it, and the valve covers are a royal bear to R&R.

What is your present oil consumption, assuming you're not overfilling the engine ???

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,951 Posts
Will the leaking oil really affect the engine bushings?? Are we talking 10 years or 10 months?
Like Sub, I'm not sure what bushings you are talking about, but oil will deteriorate rubber (unless it is an oil resistant rubber that is meant to come in contact with oil). It is a long slow process though.

·
Registered
1996 Eldorado
2,814 Posts
Sub frame mounts would be correct in referring to as bushings. The rubber goods under there will soak & soften to the point of failure.

·
Registered
Seville SLS 03
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The valve covers are leaking. This is common i know. However, the repair is $425. Currently, i need to add half a qt of oil every other month when it is not overfilled :devil: The question is: repair it for $400 or just let it be? Also, the pan has a very slow leak..but that will just have to be.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts