Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2002 ETC, 2004 GMC Envoy
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my outlet for the coolant hose going to engine, bottom facing aft of the resevoir was leaking. So I thought I would "rescue" it with some JB Weld. As I have used JB Weld to repair a head on my Maxima in the past, and it worked flawlessly. Well to save you all some time and trouble. IT DOES NOT WORK on the plastic resevoir, seeped right through it. So I ended going to dealer today and picking a new one and installing it. Nice and dry now.

Just thought I would answer the question if anyone had this issue, and you was curious if something like that would work.

Have good day all!

·
Registered
STS
6 Posts
That stuff does work great on metal! Thanks

BTW I got used reservoir on ebay for $30.00 delivered..thankfully the bad one was leaking just at the cold line si I could wait the week to deliver it(5 biz days). The used replacement was nicer than mine...looked new !

·
Registered
2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD
2,056 Posts
Thanks...I have a leaky surge tank and was originally considering JB Weld. If I can ever figure out where it is leaking from, I may take it to a RV shop to see if they can plastic weld it. The stealer wants $135 for a tank...

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,573 Posts
I did get JB Weld to seal a leak on my '97 surge tank at the purge nipple............ for a couple of years. It eventually failed.

·
Registered
2002 ETC, 2004 GMC Envoy
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep just paid $136 for mine. But it was in stock, and I wanted my car fixed.
So I ponied up for it.

·
Registered
'97 Seville STS
162 Posts
My reservoir leaked too -- so I went to a junkyard and got one that looked real nice for I think $35.00 for a same day replacement . It's been working for over a year now, or has it been two years? Just another option among many. (I cracked the outlet of the original reservoir during the process of replacing the A/C compressor messing with the "dryer" near the reservoir).

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
29,097 Posts
Many body shops have plastic welding eguipment that can make a servicable repair.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Well, I finally got around to pulling the surge tank on my car. Can't see a crack or leak anywhere. I think the main hose at the bottom may be the source of the leak. I am going to replace the spring clamp, with a screw-on type. I don't think the OEM clamp is holding tight enough.

·
Registered
04 Deville, 11 DTS Premium, 00 Deville (sold), 02 Deville (sold)
2,688 Posts
The bad thing about using JB Weld on something like a surge tank is. The N* surge tank is pressurized so being made of plastic it will expand and contract slightly with pressure and heat changes. If the material that you repair the leak with does not expand and contract at the same rate as the plastic... It will eventually fail.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,573 Posts
Charles, my '97 has a hairline crack at the base of the purge line nipple. The crack was so fine it was invisible to the naked eye until the coolant heated up and even then would only seep. One clue I found though was that dried Dex leaves a chalky whitish residue. The factory spring clamp should work fine.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
I looked for dried residue all over the tank and found no evidence of leakage. I changed the clamp and put it back together and it is still leaking from somewhere. I never did remove the cover from underneath and look...guess it is time.

·
Registered
seville sts
25 Posts
well i just used a product called duramix 4040 for automotive plastic repair for bumpers i picked it up from ebay for 10.00 and the gun for 5.00 hopefully this will work im taken it out for a drive later on

pray for me lol

·
Registered
seville sts
25 Posts
Well So far so good The duramix 4040 is holding like a charm like i thought it would its a 2 part epoxy only bad thing i found out is that you need the special gun and tip so it mixes correctly
but dont go out buying it just yet im still doing the testing to make sure it doesnt come apart

other then that its pretty easy just make sure you prep the area real good

this stuff is super strong they also use it in car stereo installation for making custom flush mount tv monitors and other nic naks

·
Registered
98 sls (2)99 sts
1 Posts
Could not find leak on res tank, so sealed seems with this $50 epoxy , left over from work .. still leaked drove me nuts, finaly found cracked tank hidden on bottom ...like other member said this tank expands and it only leaked once it had run a while . Yep over 100 bucks to replace.
found 2001 sts parts car for 500 that was for sale ...can you say parts car yes .....I got lucky replaced tank and good to go ...I love my old Caddy...The tank is a little bastard ...you need to replace it and look at it hard .. I dealt with this for 2 months and lots of extra antifreeze.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,573 Posts
Don't chalk it up as a success until it lasts a couple of years. Been there.
Well So far so good The duramix 4040 is holding like a charm like i thought it would its a 2 part epoxy only bad thing i found out is that you need the special gun and tip so it mixes correctly
but dont go out buying it just yet im still doing the testing to make sure it doesnt come apart

other then that its pretty easy just make sure you prep the area real good

this stuff is super strong they also use it in car stereo installation for making custom flush mount tv monitors and other nic naks

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Well, I gave up and took the car to a shop for a cooling system pressure test. What a surprise, the surge tank has a leak! On the bottom...barely leaks a few drops and then only under pressure. Off to order a new tank from whoever is cheapest to my house...probably Rock Auto. UPDATE crap...neither Rock Auto or GM Parts Direct have it in stock and Lindsay Cadillac wants $104 plus shipping. Looks like I'll have to buy one locally.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
.. I dealt with this for 2 months and lots of extra antifreeze.
Yeah, I've bought a lot of Dex-Cool myself. At least this should also qualify for a coolant change, I hope! :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts