Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Seville SLS (Sold) - 2001 Seville STS (Current)
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, things are not going so well for my new 01' STS.

1/7/2013 - $56 for oil change, fog light bulb replacement, and inspection. Inspection comes up clean, was told it had no issues except for coolant leak. Mileage 122,200.

1/14/2013 - $391 to replace radiator last week due to major coolant leak. NO check coolant message, but distinct coolant burning smell.

1/16/2013 - Check oil level message appears. I assume sensor is bad. Mileage 122,800.

1/20/2013 - Burning smell again. 20 minutes later, low coolant message is displayed. I check coolant level... it has NOTHING left!

1/21/2013 - I check oil level... it has NOTHING left!

It's going back in the shop Thursday. Should I park it until then or is it safe to drive? Why am I losing so much oil, and what else could be the cause of the coolant leak? They better fix the coolant issue for free... I am a broke HS student, I don't have the money for them to be experimenting on what might be wrong, lol.

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
Re: Leaks, leaks, leaks....

Oil must be going somewhere, if it didn't leak before oil change I would suspect filter or plug.
If you are losing coolant and smell it consider yourself lucky, fill it up and see where it leaks. Same with the oil.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Why on earth would you just assume that the CHECK OIL message was false?!?!?! It takes less than a minute to check with the dipstick!

"Nothing left", ON THE DIPSTICK, is ~ 2 quarts low, ~5.5 quarts remaining in the pan. That's about when the CHECK OIL message is triggered. There has to be a considerable leak to have lost ~2 quarts in 9 days, ASSUMING the shop put the correct amount of oil in in the first place.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Why on earth would you just assume that the CHECK OIL message was false?!?!?! It takes less than a minute to check with the dipstick!
It was just one of those things where I just didn't think twice, and had a lot on my mind at the time. Didn't get a chance to check until today.

ASSUMING the shop put the correct amount of oil in in the first place.
Mechanic said he put in 8 qts when he did the oil change.

----------

There has to be a considerable leak to have lost ~2 quarts in 9 days
No oil spots anywhere... I park on top of snow usually, snow never has marks (except for soot from exhaust).

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,793 Posts

Mechanic said he put in 8 qts when he did the oil change.
That's about 2.5 qts in just 2 weeks. That is a LOT of oil to be leaking (or burning) unless you are driving a 1000 miles a week.

----------

It's going back in the shop Thursday. Should I park it until then or is it safe to drive? Why am I losing so much oil, and what else could be the cause of the coolant leak?
It's safe to drive as long as you keep the coolant and oil levels up.

There are many possible coolant leak points.

They better fix the coolant issue for free... I am a broke HS student, I don't have the money for them to be experimenting on what might be wrong, lol.
Don't hold your breath. Unless the radiator is still the problem, you'll pay for any other needed repairs. Nothing in life is free.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,288 Posts

Well, things are not going so well for my new 01' STS.

1/7/2013 - $56 for oil change, fog light bulb replacement, and inspection. Inspection comes up clean, was told it had no issues except for coolant leak. Mileage 122,200.

1/14/2013 - $391 to replace radiator last week due to major coolant leak. NO check coolant message, but distinct coolant burning smell.

1/16/2013 - Check oil level message appears. I assume sensor is bad. Mileage 122,800.

1/20/2013 - Burning smell again. 20 minutes later, low coolant message is displayed. I check coolant level... it has NOTHING left!

It's going back in the shop Thursday. Should I park it until then or is it safe to drive? Why am I losing so much oil, and what else could be the cause of the coolant leak? They better fix the coolant issue for free... I am a broke HS student, I don't have the money for them to be experimenting on what might be wrong, lol.
-------------------
I am a broke HS student,
I don't have the money for them to be experimenting
on what might be wrong, lol.

you bought the WRONG CAR my young friend -

sounds like you got off "easy" on the first SLS -
now this STS is going to make you PAY - AND PAY - AND PAY -

1/16/2013 - Check oil level message appears. I assume sensor is bad. Mileage 122,800
as the others have said - the CHECK OIL message usually comes on when it's around 2 quarts low -
and you won't see anything on the dipstick at 2 quarts low -

Northstar motors do burn some oil - 1 quart/1000 miles is considered acceptable -
2+ quarts in 600 miles is NOT -
it's possible the oil change place only put in 5 quarts - HOPEFULLY - by mistake -

If you did burn/loose 2+ quarts in 600 miles - you have BIG PROBLEMS -

1/20/2013 - Burning smell again. 20 minutes later, low coolant message is displayed.
I check coolant level... it has NOTHING left!

if you are lucky - the PURGE LINE is plugged - and there is air trapped in the cooing system -
have the shop check the PURGE LINE -
it is unique to Cadillac Northstar motors - so a lot of shops are not familiar with it -

good luck -
--------------

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

sounds like you got off "easy" on the first SLS - now this STS is going to make you PAY - AND PAY - AND PAY
:(

it's possible the oil change place only put in 5 quarts - HOPEFULLY - by mistake -
He charged me extra and called it a hog because he put 8 qts in it....

If you did burn/loose 2+ quarts in 600 miles - you have BIG PROBLEMS -
In terms of $ and headaches, how big of a problem? :/

have the shop check the PURGE LINE -
Will do, thank you.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,793 Posts

Learn to do your own oil changes and just use 7 qts.

If in fact you are using and not leaking that amount of oil, you don't even want to know how much of a problem it will be in terms of $. Now I hesitate to recommend this to a 16-18 year old because I can still remember some of the stupid, careless and dangerous things I did back then, but keep in mind that I was invincible and indestructible :bigroll:. Having said that, read up on oil consumption and "full throttle" in the Technical Archives at the top of the page (if you haven't already). Find a safe place and try a few WOT's (as described). That may help.

·
19,288 Posts

Learn to do your own oil changes and just use 7 qts.

If in fact you are using and not leaking that amount of oil, you don't even want to know how much of a problem it will be in terms of $. Now I hesitate to recommend this to a 16-18 year old because I can still remember some of the stupid, careless and dangerous things I did back then, but keep in mind that I was invincible and indestructible :bigroll:. Having said that, read up on oil consumption and "full throttle" in the Technical Archives at the top of the page (if you haven't already). Find a safe place and try a few WOT's (as described). That may help.
----------------------
but keep in mind that I was invincible and indestructible :bigroll:
ya - weren't we all back then -

if he IS going through that much oil -
I can't imagine the WOT Procedure helping much -

either those rings are "EPOXIED" solid into the grooves -
or the valve seals are totally shot -

but - it can't hurt either -

----------

:(

Will do, thank you.
-----------------------------
go back - and kick the clown in the balls -
he sure doesn't know anything about a Cadillac Northstar motor -
8 quarts is overfilled -

like Ranger suggested - either start doing your own maintenance -
or find a new mechanic - and be sure to tell them to only put 7 quarts in it -
it's better to be 1/2 quart low than 1/2 quart over -

you really don't want to think about it -

and regarding the PURGE LINE -
YOU better do some reading up on it -
Goober - at the shop - won't have a clue what it is - or what it does -

do a search for PURGE LINE here - also check in the Deville forum - and
in the Northstar Performance forum -

·
Registered
03 STS
2,527 Posts
Never have paid a shop to change my oil. I see the $18.95 ads and wonder if they will charge me $30 for my car? My kid fell for the "high mileage" scam on her car and paid $50 for the job. Yes I could do it for 25 but she said 25 extra was painful but quick. I have done her oil a dozen times for free so she was way ahead.

·
19,288 Posts
Never have paid a shop to change my oil. I see the $18.95 ads and wonder if they will charge me $30 for my car? My kid fell for the "high mileage" scam on her car and paid $50 for the job. Yes I could do it for 25 but she said 25 extra was painful but quick. I have done her oil a dozen times for free so she was way ahead.
------------------------
I bet you don't want to do one outside today - :histeric:

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,516 Posts
Off-topic - Minnesota, 21 Jan. 2013: COLD.

My Chief Engineer in R/V RIDGELY WARFIELD (4 Cummins V-12 twin turbo diesels, 2 prop shafts) used to run a small engine maintenance company that did work in the PA and W MD coal strip mines. One winter a rod bearing and oil change was necessary in one of the huge rock eaters. They had to warm up the coal black 15W-40 diesel oil (all 11 gallons of it - Drydene) with a wood fire under the engine before the oil would flow out at -20F.

·
Registered
'98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)
4,854 Posts
Off-topic - Minnesota, 21 Jan. 2013: COLD.

....They had to warm up the coal black 15W-40 diesel oil (all 11 gallons of it - Drydene) with a wood fire under the engine before the oil would flow out at -20F.
Reminds me of an event I witnessed back in the 1960s while operating out of the (small - primitive) airport at Resolute Bay on Cornwallis Island; latitude 74 degrees, 43 minutes north.

A civilian crew was faced with replacing a failed R-3350 radial engine outdoors, under the lights, working in one hour shifts (the wind chill factor was potentially fatal; bare skin is not possible). When the replacement engine was finally hung, their next challenge was converting a 42 gallon barrel of 90W oil from a solid form to a liquid form to fill the crankcase. They were chopping and sawing that solid 90W oil like blocks of ice into pieces that would fit in a container that could be heated.

Many propane and gasoline heaters plus multiple layers of tarps were among the tools used.

·
19,288 Posts
Reminds me of an event I witnessed back in the 1960s while operating out of the (small - primitive) airport at Resolute Bay on Cornwallis Island; latitude 74 degrees, 43 minutes north.

A civilian crew was faced with replacing a failed R-3350 radial engine outdoors, under the lights, working in one hour shifts (the wind chill factor was potentially fatal; bare skin is not possible). When the replacement engine was finally hung, their next challenge was converting a 42 gallon barrel of 90W oil from a solid form to a liquid form to fill the crankcase. They were chopping and sawing that solid 90W oil like blocks of ice into pieces that would fit in a container that could be heated.

Many propane and gasoline heaters plus multiple layers of tarps were among the tools used.
----------------------------
I was the head engine mechanic - turned crew chief -
on C119's back in the 70's -
I pulled my share of "sumps and strainers"
out of those 3350's - on the flight-line - well below zero -

it was NOT fun -

·
Registered
2006 srx V-6, 2002 ESC convertible
191 Posts
Chief (basscat): Way cool...were you TDY in Thule with the boxcars
? Swapping-out a 3350 in CYRB sounds unforgettable; I've only heard of bigger challenges at Thule or CYRT.

I love the high Arctic, and I've commanded many private missions up there (only in the Summer months: rainbows at midnight).
The bush pilots in Manitoba drain the engine oil at the end of a days flying and keep it on the stove overnight --it
seems to work for them.

·
19,288 Posts
Chief (basscat): Way cool...were you TDY in Thule with the boxcars
? Swapping-out a 3350 in CYRB sounds unforgettable; I've only heard of bigger challenges at Thule or CYRT.

I love the high Arctic, and I've commanded many private missions up there (only in the Summer months: rainbows at midnight).
The bush pilots in Manitoba drain the engine oil at the end of a days flying and keep it on the stove overnight --it
seems to work for them.
--------------
Chief (basscat): Way cool

no - not Chief - as in Navy rank -

my rank was a Sergeant in the Marines -
my job was the Crew Chief on the plane -
but before becoming a Crew Chief - I was an engine mechanic on the 3350's

were you TDY in Thule with the boxcars
no - never made it quite that far north -

The bush pilots in Manitoba drain the engine oil at the end of a days flying
and keep it on the stove overnight --

the 119 had a 50 gallon oil tank for each engine -

it did have a neat feature for cold weather starts -
push a button and and the oil in the sump
got a shot of av-gas to thin it down -
it was also suggested we didn't use it -

·
Registered
2006 srx V-6, 2002 ESC convertible
191 Posts
Basscat:

Semper Fi. Thanks for your service as a jarhead; best friend in HS went to Pendleton, as did my wife's father. When I addressed you as Chief I was referring to the widely-held view that the crew chief "owns" the airplane and loans it out to the pilots to fly it...really, I hear it from crew chiefs from Offutt AFB all the time. Maybe differnet in the Corps. Did the marines fly the Caribou? All the best, and thanks again, Sarg.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts