Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Deville; 1990 Brougham
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just went through a "touch free" or "no touch" car wash the other day and on the first round of spraying, I found that I had a big leak above one of the doors. Luckily I had a jersey on that I just tore off and held off the water as well as I could. My questions are a few. 1, is there an inexpensive way or fixing this problem, or does the only solution run with a high price. 2, will I also leak while in a regular car wash, or was it the higher amount of pressure the only reason it leaked?
Jacob Hoppe

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
tru504187211 said:
I just went through a "touch free" or "no touch" car wash the other day and on the first round of spraying, I found that I had a big leak above one of the doors. Luckily I had a jersey on that I just tore off and held off the water as well as I could. My questions are a few. 1, is there an inexpensive way or fixing this problem, or does the only solution run with a high price. 2, will I also leak while in a regular car wash, or was it the higher amount of pressure the only reason it leaked?
Jacob Hoppe
Do you have frameless windows or no?

·
Registered
2001 BMW M5 - Alpine White
226 Posts
I have been using the factory-recommended silicone spray on all of my door, deck lid and sunroof rubber. My theory is that, especially, when it gets cold, the rubber isn't as soft and can't "move around" well enough to provide the proper seal to body. The silicone really makes the seals slicker so that when the doors are closed, the rubber seals better. Had the leaking trunk issue when I bought the car in 2/02. After the manufacturer's recommended silicone treatment - no more leaks, anywhere, ever.

May or may not have been the fix, but I'm going to treat the seals in the fall and spring.

The stuff I bought (at the dealer parts counter) is 3M Silicone Lubricant Plus - Wet Type Part number: 051135-08877. It is a 9oz. spray can.

·
Registered
2001 Deville; 1990 Brougham
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea, I've got frames on the windows. Thanx for the product recommendation. I will definately be using it in the next few winter months. Also, has anyone gone through a "touch free" car wash and came out with your car still filthy? Rims still black, circles on the hood from the pressurized water, windshield dirty where wipers don't hit, dirty everywhere on the trunk lid, etc. I was very disappointed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts