Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2006 DTS Performance/1996 Dodge Stratus ES
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are two separate problems. I can see water pool between the inner roof surface and outer roof. In that area where the tracks for the moonroof are. The water leaks down the passenger A pillar on the inside, and then pools underneath the carpet in the front passenger footwell. I adjusted the bolts on the moonroof to make it a very tight seal when it is closed. The airbag is behind the pillar so I didn't want to mess with yet, but that of course adds to the worry. Pulling up the carpet shows that a thick bundle of wiring runs near the doorsill, also making this matter urgent.

The other issue is while driving around the ABS and Stabilitrak lights are lit up. It began as an intermittent problem and now they just stay lit all the time with a message to service them when the car is turned on. However, I have actually tried ABS and Stabilitrak in the snow and rain and they do in fact work.

I do my all my own work and can get pretty advanced and wanted to see if anyone has experience with this. I had the 2006 DTS since 2010 and keep it in top shape.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1997 Professional Chassis Raised Roof Presidential Limousine
411 Posts
Roof drains may be clogged and you need to scan the ABS system to get the code(s) which cause the light to go on. Otherwise just a wild guess.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Roof drains may be clogged and you need to scan the ABS system to get the code(s) which cause the light to go on. Otherwise just a wild guess.
That sounds like a good idea. Any idea how to access roof drains?

I scanned with an OBD II reader previously and it showed no codes. Is there another scan tool to use for the ABS?

·
Registered
411 Posts

·
Registered
2006 DTS
83 Posts
if you have the Stabiltrak/ABS lights on with no Check Engine light and no codes, then it probably is something to do with one of the wheel hub sensors. Those lights also come on with the Lean Codes and Check engine (vacuum leak) as well, but in absence of ODB lean codes and no check engine light then it is most likely one of the actual wheel sensors and the ODB reader won't identify those. Only a mechanic or dealer's Tech2 system can read those codes to determine which wheel(s) is causing the code. If you have no engine light and no codes, you might try raising the car and unplug/replug (and look at) each of the 4 wheel hub sensors. They are often prone to salt and wintery moisture corrosion.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update - the moonroof was not draining due to the front right drain tube being clogged. I catheterized it with weed whacker wire. I did it prophylactically on the other three. Water tested and working fine.

----------

if you have the Stabiltrak/ABS lights on with no Check Engine light and no codes, then it probably is something to do with one of the wheel hub sensors. Those lights also come on with the Lean Codes and Check engine (vacuum leak) as well, but in absence of ODB lean codes and no check engine light then it is most likely one of the actual wheel sensors and the ODB reader won't identify those. Only a mechanic or dealer's Tech2 system can read those codes to determine which wheel(s) is causing the code. If you have no engine light and no codes, you might try raising the car and unplug/replug (and look at) each of the 4 wheel hub sensors. They are often prone to salt and wintery moisture corrosion.
This sounds like the right plan. I have no MIL lit like check engine luckily. Only ABS and stabilitrak. I tried it with connections I found at each wheel, but I believe they were the connections for the magnaride only. I will look up which ones are the right ones. Any diagrams or links are appreciated.

----------

I would think by opening the roof you would see at least the front drains in the corners. Where they come out I don't know but pouring a few ounces in the holes will tell you if they are plugged or not. If not you should see where the water comes out. A basic OBDII scanner won't do ABS. I use http://www.amazon.com/Autel-MD802-MaxiDiag-Elite-Scan/dp/B0090B7M2O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1435249695&sr=8-1&keywords=autel+maxidiag+elite+md802 or a Chinese TECH2.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll probably just check the connections at all four and clean them to be sure none are corroded and damaged.

·
Registered
2006 DTS
83 Posts
Yes, the wheel hub sensor is inside the bearing case assembly and is that wire you see in the video emerging from the back of each hub bearing.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So this is a weird issue...I found the sensors at both back wheels and cleaned them. There was some water inside the wire protective tubing and evidence of rodent chewing on the wires. I found the wheel hub sensor as shown in that video on the right front wheel and cleaned it. The left front wheel does not have this connection at all. The wire just comes from the starting point and enters the wheel hub. There is no plastic connection as shown in the video. Yet the right wheel does have it. I'm thinking of using a tech2 or similar scanner now to narrow down what the problem is.

I see the post with a link to the scan tool I need but I want to see if there is a cheaper one. I'm having a hard time figuring out on amazon the difference between regular OBDII scanners and the scan tool I need that reads ABS problems so any links to the right type would help me out. Thanks!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update. Got a scan tool and it reads codes C0040, C0045, C0050. Right front, right rear, and left rear Wheel Speed Circuit Malfunction. Any suggestions on how to attack this?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Check the sensors and wiring. The wires can corrode at the connector to the sensor. I just ordered a new rear harness for my car. Just $20 from Rock Auto.

·
Registered
2006 DTS Performance
269 Posts
Update - the moonroof was not draining due to the front right drain tube being clogged. I catheterized it with weed whacker wire. I did it prophylactically on the other three. Water tested and working fine.
Check the sun roof seal.
Mine was low in the back causing debris to enter and clog the drains.
Tried the weed whacker thing, but would not go through.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thought I'd update the thread. It was the rear ABS wiring harness. I installed it a few days ago and it's been fine. The install is very simple, but does require raising the rear, and removing wheels helps too. Though three codes were read by the ABS scan tool as I mentioned, after clearing it only the code for right rear sensor came back up so I assumed that was the true malfunction. Don't change out hubs unnecessarily. If you use an ohmmeter and the hubs show resistance, in my case over 1000, they are fine. The abs harness that attaches to the hub sensor though, on the left read 8, on the right 0. The new harness won't show resistance unless the central connector is plugged in to the body wiring so it is possible to plug it in and test it before actually threading the harness through the underbody to install completely. My description might not be clear to those who haven't seen the harness and know what it looks like. If anyone deals with this problem in the future feel free to message me for help.

BTW, with the two issues in my first post solved, the DTS is problem free, shiny and waxed, and the inside looks brand new!

·
Registered
'80 CDV, '92 SDV, '07 DTS
18 Posts
I'm having the same issue with my sunroof.

First, the glass (front and rear edges) sits about an eighth or quarter of an inch below the roof line. Can someone post a pic or video of what adjustment I need to make?

Second, have water dripping to passenger footwell also. When I looked for drains, I only saw one in the corner on the driver's side of the roof...didn't notice one in the passenger's corner. Is there definitely one on each side?

·
Registered
2006 DTS Performance
269 Posts
I'm having the same issue with my sunroof.

First, the glass (front and rear edges) sits about an eighth or quarter of an inch below the roof line. Can someone post a pic or video of what adjustment I need to make?

Second, have water dripping to passenger footwell also. When I looked for drains, I only saw one in the corner on the driver's side of the roof...didn't notice one in the passenger's corner. Is there definitely one on each side?
I can’t help you with the adjustment.
Mine was low in the back, allowing debris to enter and clog the drains.
There are definitely 4 drains.
Water would pool in the rear passenger side.
I tried the weed whacker thing without success.
I took to a Chevy dealer and no problems since cleaning drains and adjustments.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Sunroof adjustment - open the sun shade and look up on each side. There are 4 torx bit screws. Not sure if the exact spec for your car, but it should be pretty much flush with the roof.

·
Registered
06 Cadillac DTS
278 Posts
Loosen torx screw, push up on glass till flush outside, tighten screw, do not over tighten as the screw is in aluminium , BTDT.
Norm, ex DTS owner.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks guys, I will take a look.

On another note, I've read a couple posts about having to "reset" the sunroof after replacing a battery. Does that apply to our cars? If so, please explain.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Took a look at it.....driver side screws were not even tight, so the glass was in the lowest position possible. Adjusted all 4 screws and the back edge is perfect. Still think the front edge is low just a bit, will see what happens the next time I wash it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts