Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 OBM V Wagon
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all: I live overseas and they don't have Vs here, so looking for knowledgeable advice. Just had an oil change done on my '12 Vagon and the shop noticed oil/grease on/around the rear diff. See photos below. Last had the diff oil changed a couple of years ago, so this is not from a recent change. Based on the photos any ideas on what exactly may be leaking, or at least where I should start looking for a leak location? I only do very basic wrenching and am dealing with language barriers at the shop as well as no V expertise locally (though there is a Cadillac dealer) so I'm out of my depth here. Thanks!

rsz_1img_1864.jpg rsz_1img_1865.jpg rsz_img_1863.jpg

·
Registered
2014 SRX Performance, 2013 CTS-V
501 Posts
Now that you have pictures, clean the oil off. Drive it around the block and re-check it to see if you can tell where the oil is leaking from.

·
Registered
Started with '04 BR V, moved on to '09 Slvr V, now '13 CRT coupe
1,957 Posts
Now that you have pictures, clean the oil off. Drive it around the block and re-check it to see if you can tell where the oil is leaking from.
^^^ For the OP, this is definitely the first step.

Then try to determine if it is oil from the differential or grease from the CV joint.
Your pics would suggest to me that it is oil leaking from a seal at the differential flange.

I recently had a similar experience, however it turned out to be grease that was being slung outwards from between the mating of the axle CV and the differential flange. The 8mm Allen bolts were loose. Retorqued everything and it was good to go.

You could check the fluid level in the differential, but even small seepage from a bad seal will make a mess on the undercarriage without showing up as any significant loss in capacity.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts