Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I knew I was smelling coolant earlier, but I am not having any cooling issues. I climbed under the car and looked and sure enough, there was a semi-slow leak coming from near the drivers side. What is this likely to be? The water pump?

·
Registered
1996 Deville (sold), 2000 Mustang GT
1,300 Posts
It's hard to say, your going to have to be a little more specific of where its leaking from. The water pump is on the drivers side but its high up on the engine.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,987 Posts
Probably one of the heater pipes that run along the rear head. they are known to leak and are a bitch to change.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I *think* it's the waterpump gasket, but I don't know if its that or the actual waterpump. I took a pic of the top of the waterpump. It's kind of hard to see but the leaks are under those two bolts.

Should I go ahead and replace the waterpump and gasket? I always thought a bad waterpump would cause overheating, so thats why im curious.

·
Super Moderator
86,987 Posts
If it was the pump, it would be leaking at the shaft seal. Just replace the $10 cover gasket, or add some sealant tabs.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went ahead and drained the system. The coolant almost looked like that Rain Gatorade. Kinda strawberry looking and very clean, which pleased me.

I'm gonna try to locate that gasket tomorrow and get it on and throw in some bars leak or the sealant tabs and refill it. Hope that fixes the problem.

Does anyone by chance have the part number for the housing gasket for an 02 model?

·
Super Moderator
86,987 Posts
Keep in mind that it is an aluminum engine. It will corrode, but does not rust, so the coolant color will not change like it will in a cast iron engine when the coolant is old.

Check the parts list in the Tech Tips section "sticky" It is for Sevilles up to '99, but I think the cover gasket has not changed unless the updated version has a different part number. I'd just go to a dealer parts counter and ask for the pump cover gasket. They are not expensive.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Whoever said this waterpump is easy is crazy. I would rather pull the tranny on my FWD eclipse.

I'm having a time trying to get the third bottom bolt out with all these stiff hoses in the way. I'm also not sure I don't have a leak elsewhere too, unless the water pump belt picked up some coolant and tossed it.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Sometimes trying to make things more difficult than they are can happen, like just happened to me. That oil level piece was causing me trouble to no end, when all I was missing was a little 10mm screw type bolt. Turns out the water pump is also leaking at the shaft seal.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I looked at that parts catalag iametarq has on his site and the water pump number is not a working number. The price for the waterpump from the local dealer, $215. Ha, yeah right. I'll try my luck with the new duralast water pump with the "limited lifetime warranty."

They can have the gasket by 3:30 this afternoon. So all in all I will have everything done tonight except for the upper radiator hose which I will be getting tomorrow morning. I sliced it on accident, but it was the original which dates back to June 2006 according to the stamp on it. It felt weak anyhow.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got everything in and installed. There were some tricky parts to this, and it may be a 2 hour job after you've done it before, but definitely not the first time.

The factory service manual was useless and did not have all the steps required to replace it. I'm kind of disappointed at that fact but whatever. The autozone water pump tool is manufactured by ASC and is actually pretty decent quality and I got the old one off and on very easily.

I wish I knew how to identify the old part as being OE and whatnot, because I don't think it is. The shaft was very loose on it though.

I'm waiting on my upper radiator hose that I cut off. I'll get that in the morning, refill the system with dex 50/50 and bars leak and wish for the best.

Oh, sorry for the semi-blog but it was kind of making the job easier on me. Thanks for the help ranger.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I just got it all back together, started pouring coolant and bam, I look under the car and there is a huge drip. Almost like a pour. I can't tell for sure but now it looks like maybe its coming from the coolant crossover? Perhaps its cracked?

This is seriously depressing me right now.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I put my hands back there under the new water pump area and my fingers got pretty wet. I don't get it, I put a new cover gasket on and a new o ring along with the new water pump. What gives?

I didn't even have to start the car for it to pour out, just poured about 2 quarts in the surge tank and it all came right back out.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Did you get the old "O" ring out?
Yep. It was still in pretty good shape actually. I'm sure it's a gasket behind the coolant crossover. I was gonna attempt to do it myself but 3 of those bolts looked impossible so I'm gonna have it taken to a mechanic and done while im on my fishing trip to TN.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts