Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
XTS 2014 Luxury
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time needed: 3-5 hours
Difficulty: Hard
Parts needed
  • Sockets
  • Cluster
  • Flathead screwdrivers
  • plastic pry tools
  • patience

You can order a used cluster off eBay for around $100-$150 and save lots of money. You will have to program the cluster first if it is used. You can program yourself which is very difficult, or have it done third party. The dealer will not program a used cluster. I had a company called WAMS, White Automotive & Media Service, do it for me and there are no errors. Programming will cost $300-$400. Once cluster is programmed it's just plug and play with no errors.

1. Unplug battery (Negative) for safety
  2. You will need to remove left covers on the left sides of the dash you can easily pull it off.
  3. There is a little pleather accent piece above the left air vent, pull it out.
  4. The air vent is held in by 2 bolts on top, which need to be removed, then the entire assembly pulls out.
  5. the panel that has the pushbutton start can be pulled out start pulling on the edge near gauges then it pops out.
  6. On the center console, you need to remove the left leather between the chair and center console the chair. just pull it and it pops out.
  7. Next, remove the knee bolster, there are 2 bolts below the gauge cluster connected to the knee bolster.
    1. pop open the little door on the knee bolster by pulling it open and it'll flip down, there are 2 more bolts holding it in once flipped down
    2. under the knee bolster there are 3 bolts holding in the OBD port in, remove those.
    3. There is another bolt under the knee bolster you can feel with your finger towards the right side.
    4. 2 more bolts will be near the center console at the bottom of the bolster, where the leather panel was removed.
    5. then it will fall down, do not fully take out.
  8. remove chrome trim along center air vents, just grab on from edges and pull carefully.
  9. All bolts should be visible around the lower part of the cluster.
  10. Remove the two lower bolts of the cluster, which are connected to the boot of the steering wheel and move it out of the way.
  11. Then to access the two bolts on top of the cluster you will need to remove 2 more bolts along the left side where the left air vent was they are connected to the large top leather dash piece.
  12. After removing the two screws lift hard to get about a one to a two-inch clearance between the cluster and dash piece.
  13. There are two bolts along the top of the cluster equal distance from each other, use a socket extension for easier access.
  14. there is another bolt on the right side of the cluster holding in the cluster, remove that one.
  15. once bolts are removed pull out the top plastic accent piece, then the cluster.
  16. The cluster cable has two plastic release levers that can be lifted with a flat head screwdriver, carefully.
  17. Do not pull from cable, pull from tabs.
  18. plug in the new cluster and plug in the battery and ensure it turns on if it does PERFECT! Time to put it in.
  19. unplug the battery (Negative)
  20. You might need a second person for this part, you need to lift up the dash a little more and hold it there. Then start putting the cluster in at angle where it slides in.
  21. Once in position put two bolts back on plastic accent piece to make it easier to install and then put it back between the dash and cluster.
  22. to get the dash to go back down onto the cluster push it down to get it to latch on clips or hit it with your hand, it's strong.
  23. Put the bolts for the top dash piece back.
  24. put back all bolts around cluster first except ones for knee bolster.
  25. to put back knee bolster, line up bottom bolts first. Start from ones near the center console, then work to the left, ensuring it all lines up.
  26. Bolt back down OBD port.
  27. Bolt the knee bolster upper part.
  28. pop back on center air vent trim
  29. push back in push bottom start part, line up clips and push.
  30. Slide left air vent back in and bolt down
  31. put back little pleather accent piece
  32. pop back left, side of dash cover.
  33. pop back the left side of center console, just line up clips.

BOOM DONE!

If you have any questions or need images for guidance, let me know and I will help you out! Huge thanks to WAMS for the help!

·
Registered
'02 ETC CE, '04 CTS-V, '04 XLR, '13 XTS Platinum
2,918 Posts
Yeah, tear your dash apart again and make a video. . . . Not bloody likely.

·
Registered
2013 XTS
18 Posts
Yeah, tear your dash apart again and make a video. . . . Not bloody likely.
Friday I pulled my cue system out and replaced the screen from cuescreens.com. I also updated my radio cue 1.1 to 2.5, added factory navigation, Android auto and Carplay from MVI. Both were pretty simple to do because both companies have step by step video guides.
The dash comes apart a lot easier than you think.
This was an extremely informative breakdown. Secondly I said a video would be nice. I wasn't necessarily referring to him. There's a lot of people wanting to do this. Maybe someone else will or maybe myself when I do mine.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
--"It would be awesome if you made a YouTube step by step guide."

I think that statement pretty much confirms you were referring to him . . .

--What supports your assertion that, "there are a lot of people wanting to do this" ?

A few CTS and ATS owners have replaced their gauge clusters with XTS models, but I have seen no evidence to support a great demand to do it within the XTS community here.

CCC

·
Registered
2013 XTS
18 Posts
Regardless everyone's not incompetent like you... If he did it before and the details he just gave. He could probably do it in 30 minutes to an hour. and I want to apologize to you because I keep forgetting everyone isn't mechanically inclined some people can't even put air in a tire.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
The less mechanically-inclined people who can't put air in a tire are those least inclined to undertake a mod of any kind. As for competency, I'm an engineer, so take that for what it is, before you start (trying) to insult people. Based on what, seven posts now, it would appear you don't seem to have much experience with online forums.

I've written up plenty of procedure and posted them in this and other sections, so before you post, know what you're talking about and don't assume anything you can't prove (aka: unsubstantiated claims). People come here looking for information - there are other sections of the forum for general chit-chat and rumors. I posted a thorough CUE touch screen swap before cuescreens.com was even a member, which has been downloaded many times. For less than $100, it's a little less than what they offer and after several years, trouble-free.

Remember, GM will not work on your HMI (and accompanying firmware) again after altering the as-built configuration of your vehicle. You are now dependent on the vendor who supplied the hardware for any future updates.

CCC

·
Registered
2013 XTS
18 Posts
How many engineers does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
How many engineers do you think worked on designing the faulty Cue screen?
Like I said a video of this would be awesome not your analysis

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
And like I said, don't hold your breath waiting for the OP to take his dash apart again to create a video for you.

Aloha troll, welcome to my Ignore List. Enjoy deciphering the mysteries of your CUE screen clock.

·
Registered
2013 XTS
18 Posts
You got that right!!!
It sucks when a troll jumps on a post and instead of being helpful they troll.... and make a comment that doesn't contribute anything at all.

·
Registered
2013 XTS
18 Posts
For anyone else wanting to do this here's a video for a CTS. Slightly different but the basics are the same. Oh and the guy says it takes about 30 minutes

1 - 11 of 11 Posts