Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Just got mine back from head and cams. I got 60 RWHP on the head and cam, and 20 from the headers.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Go for the h/c, there's something about a highly tweaked n/a motor that is intoxicating. And if theres not enough power in a few years, then look at forced induction.
Good luck,
ace996

T

·
0 Posts
We just used stock heads and had them CNC milled. I posted on another thread the cam I used. It can be used later with a maggie. I hope later as in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have a question, which I should know the answer too, but it's surprisingly hard to find an answer even after extensive searching.

What are the internals on the LS6, forged, cast? I ask because coming from a Mustang/Cobra modifying binge for 10 years, one thing that was critical was the year/engine type. After '93, ford starting using "Hypereutictic" (however it's spelled) pistons. These are great for stock motors, but tend to grenade with more than 5 pounds of boost.

Then, in '01 (I think) Cobra's starting coming with "powered metal" metal cracked cap rods. Again, a great technology for stock motors, but more than 5 pounds of boost and you'd see your rods come out the sides of your engine sooner rather than later.

So what do we have? WIth 10.5:1 compression, that might influence a decision to supercharge or go with heads/cam.

·
Registered
8,810 Posts
I haven't heard of anyone gernading the motor with a maggie (yet).:suspense:

I think Blitzer will be the first one to melt one down :histeric:

My point is that if the maggie doesn't do it for ya right off the bat, what makes you think just a head and cam swap will?

Both, however can't be that bad.

I would just do the maggie first.

Besides, you don't have to replace the hood.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
GO CAM AND HEADERS. Its more true to the muscle car that the V is. Plus, the sound will give you a woody! BESIDES, EVERYONES GOT A MAGGIE!!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
You head and cam guys must live close to sea level. Here at 5000' (CO) the Maggie is gold! My car made 425RWHP with test conditions of 25.4"Hg, 89.2 & 6% RH. This would correct to 510RWHP at "standard" conditions of 29.9"Hg, 77F and 0% RH. I'm thinking about a cam and headers to reach 500RWHP. Have no idea how I'm going to lock it up!

Mike

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I picked up 41 rear wheel horsepower in my vette from a cam and valve spring swap.

Car sounds crazy, runs crazy....

The magnacharger is an awesome bolt-on for a stock car with limits but,...if you want to make REAL power,...find yourself a good head and cam package, with some nitrous.

...or

Wait until the KENNE BELL unit comes out(capable of 20psi)....

or get yourself a centrifugel unit(ie procharger).

if you have the money, and down time, have a custom turbo package built.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Sorry to hijak.Mcarter!Who did your Maggie in Colo? I would love to see it some time,if we could get together. I work in Brighton and you in Berthod. I tried to PM you but couldn't. Should I try to contact you at work through your wb page link?Jeff

·
Registered
325 Posts
Has anyone done just a CAM swap on the LS6 motor? V-series Tech says he got 40 rwhp from just a cam and valve springs. So are $2000.00 heads only worth an additional 20 hp? Also its a lot easier swap since from what I understand, its possible to do a cam on the LSx motors without removing the heads. This seems like the most bang for the buck. Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
In my mind, it's kind of a "whichever floats your boat" type of a thing. Both routes are going to result in significant HP/torque gains.

While I would expect the torque curves to be different (maggie better down low, but heads/cam better higher in the RPM range), that really doesn't make too much difference.

Both have cool attributes. The maggie has the "whine," while many might consider the sound of the heads/cam to be very cool (i.e. lopey idle, loud at WOT, etc.).

At the end of the day, the maggie, in my mind, is just an "easier" answer; a bolt-on solution. The magna charger team has put a lot of thought into making it as seemless a transition as possible for the customer. Why put yourself through the heartache of trying ot figure out which heads/cam package works best? I've already seen several of those threads on this forum, without a lot of guidance. I'm certain that if you ask 10 different people, you'll get in excess of 5 different answers...
There certainly isn't anything wrong with the heads/cam answer, especially if it's a cheaper route. I would just expect a few more heartaches than the maggie answer (unless you're me of course...)

What is certain, of course, is that the V community continue to lay waste to various other high-performance cars, making a fierce name for the V... :highfive:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
About this Discussion
33 Replies
18 Participants
V-seriesTech