Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS-V
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Has anyone figured out a reliable launch technique that will minimize wheel hop and still get a good short time?

I was going to head up to New England Dragway and try my luck against my buddy's GTO and an ex-girlfriend's built 5.0 GT convertible, and I don't want to grenade my diff by getting bad wheel hop on the launch. I've got the upgraded TSB bushings, but nothing else, so my car hops like crazy on launch and if I shift hard.

I did a search on a few different terms and couldn't find anything meaty about launch techniques. I've seen a few discussions by people wondering how in the world GM's test drivers got a 4.6 0-60, and that's sorta what I'm wondering - has anyone figured it out? I ran a 13.35 @ 107mph when my '99 C5 was bone stock, and 13.0 @ 110mph with a CAI and B&M shifter, so I'm a decent enough driver, but I'd like to learn how to drive the V from everyone else before I even get there if possible. :)

Specifically I'd be interested in hearing from the guys who run their stock cars fast:

1) What rpm are you launching at?
2) how are you letting the clutch out? (I know you can't side step it but how long are you riding it out?)
3) what shift points are you using in each gear?

I'm pretty methodical once I get there, so I'll figure out my own shift points eventually since I try every 100rpm in every gear until I get the best time possible, but a starting point would be great!

Any advice from you guys running low 13s around 109mph?? :)

-B

BTW - I have Corsa exhaust, 255/40 BFG KDW2s, and nothing else.

·
Registered
Maggie'd 05 CTS-V
279 Posts
I'd be interested in the same info, but looks like the local test n tune night is gonna be rained out tonight :(

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
The CTS-V is very at home in the twisties and on road courses. It is not a drag racer. You must accept this. You will be much happier.

·
Registered
2016 Black Raven CTS-V Previous 2007 Black Raven CTS-V
107 Posts
13.27 on F1 EMT's and bone stock is my best time and I consistently run in the within a tenth of that time. I'm on the road and don't have my time slips with me, but I do know my 60' times were terrible. My technique as of now came from learning how to launch a FWD car at the strip. Basically I just stage at 2k and apply smooth and deliberate gas in time with the clutch release on the launch and don't get any wheel hop.

I've just recently switched to PS2's and haven't had a chance to take it to the track yet. I did go out to a side road to see how differently the tires were from the EMT's. The first launch was at 3k releasing the clutch quickly and the tires pretty much went up in smoke. The second launch was at 2k releasing the clutch quickly and the car took off with no wheel hop. I know that the track (or at least hope) will have much more traction at the line which I'm sure will cause wheel hop, but the PS2's seemed to be better with a little heat applied where the F1's didn't matter.

Shifting technique...never lift my right foot and shift at the redline! :D

Keep us posted on any improvements you're able to discover and I'll be sure to do the same. And like JimmyH said, this car is a hoot on the twisties!

·
Registered
05 CTS V 07 ESCALADE
1,596 Posts
Get out your wallet man. Just curious as to why you'd want to take a 53k world class sports sedan with a 5 link road course rear susupension and the stickiest dry tires on the planet and try to figure out the best way to launch it like a bottle rocket. It's a lot better at toping out at 163 and pulling over a "g" coming out of a late apex turn. If your in to the street race and drag scene it's all good bro, I just think you spent about 30k more than you had to when a modded F body would probably give you what you want at a lot cheaper price. How many BMW M5s E55AMGs and Audi S4s do you see at the strip? The V was made to compete against and eat these cars. But, if you want to seriously drag race the car, get ready to change it into something it was not meant to be. If you want to go occassionally to the strip and have some fun, that's all good as well, just don't expect drag racing that to be the Vs strong point. Just keep that in mind.
My .02cents.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Don't listen to these guys, drag racing the V is a lot of fun. Of course, the last time I went to NED I came home in a flat bed truck. Check out my videos here. http://home.comcast.net/~dansctsv/

I launch at about 3 grand and just ease the clutch out. I also air the tires down to around 18 psi. The drag radials really improved traction but thats what casue me to break a half shaft.

Good luck, let us know how you do.

·
Registered
'09 V BR 4dr 6spd,'05 C6R 1400+HP, '05 V BEST EVA!!
2,660 Posts
Contact Forum Member Gene/stkshkr, as he has the fastest 1/4 mile time and knows how to launch.

·
Registered
05 CTS V 07 ESCALADE
1,596 Posts
Hey B-
Gene (stkshkr) is the man around here when it comes to talking about drag racing the V. Just read the forum. Ask him what he spent to have all that fun 11 seconds at a time. No disrepect Gene, just that you did what it takes to change the car into what it is today. A guy with a stock V is headed for trouble if he wants to have serious drag racer fun with the car. It's fine to admire stkshkrs V as long as you remember he spent the time and money to do it right.

·
Registered
05 Maggied V Black/Black
1,158 Posts
What he said is very true, my car is totally different from a stocker. It's just about bullet proof for drag racing as long as I don't go crazy. You probably would not care for it as your daily driver, but I love it. Different strokes for different folks. Be happy with the car for what it is, a great American muscle car that can hang with the Euros in the twisties.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
130 Posts
I don't drag launch to often, but have reduced wheel hop, especially during shifts, by trying different traction control settings (of the 3 I found). However, there's more spin when I do this... along with some occasional (hairy) fishtailing at 50+.

I reduced wheel hop and gained more more shift traction (and control) when I replaced the original F1's with Nitto's NT555R (mfg quote: "a D.O.T. approved competition drag radial").

In either case, however, I do not have any ET's to determine if any time was shaved. Just less wheel hop.

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
Simple.

Launch in second gear, 5,500 rpm, side-step the clutch, keep the throttle down when shifting.

For stock setup only.

·
Registered
'09 V BR 4dr 6spd,'05 C6R 1400+HP, '05 V BEST EVA!!
2,660 Posts
Gene,
How soon are you going to be testing your new rear-end at the track, as I think 11.6-11.7 is in reach with no power upgrades.
Good luck and keep us updated.

·
Registered
05 Maggied V Black/Black
1,158 Posts
Been to the track but it's to hot to get good times. I did discover that even though I can do high RPM clutch dumps, without real slicks there's no traction. So I'm back to 2000-3000 RPM launches. My 60's have dropped .2 to consistant 1.70's. When it cools off it'll do better. BTW my real goal is consistancy and I'm getting that now after finally figuring out shock settings, tire pressure and launch RPM.

·
Registered
04 Cadillac CTSV
380 Posts
i take it to about 3k and let out easy on the clutch but kinda fast. i was in the 2.0-2.2 60ft times. running constant 9.07 in the 1/8. thats with my big ass in the car. all 267 Lbs of me. hmmmm I feel fat now. ok since im depressed now im gonna go eat something.
(Runs away crying with snickers in hand.)

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS-V
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the advice guys. Sounds like there isn't any holy grail - that sounds like the same way I launched my Cobra and C5 for the most part.

For those who mentioned that it's not a drag car, I know that - I'm not "turning it into a drag car" or anything. I've had the car for a couple months now and have my G-meter's high mark at 1.0 & .96 just from the commute to work (since I haven't been to Louden yet) and I've had it to 160mph on Rt. 2 against a yellow Gallardo, so I know it's a road racing car and has a high top speed.

I generally know what my car is capable of top-speed-wise and handling wise, I just also want to know what I can do from a light. I haven't had much opportunity to just cruise and look for trouble in it, but I would say I run about the same number of cars from a light as from a roll. Unfortunately most of my highway time, where the V shines, is spent stuck in crappy Boston traffic. The few times when I've been out cruising around, I'm always trying to time yellow lights to get a run against someone with some iron, and sooner or later I'm going to come against something that tests the V. Almost had a run with a modded WRX last night actually but they turned off before we got to go... (No idea what he had under the hood - he might have DESTROYED me for all I know)

Anyway, sounds like I just need to work on my clutch-vs-throttle timing, just like every OTHER car out there, to get a good launch. I had a couple 1.85s with the C5, but that had the transaxle in the back which was nice for holding the rear tires down, and that car didn't have to worry about wheelhop so if I spun a bit it would just hook up a bit down the track. I have a feeling if I get any spin with the V it's going to start hopping and I'll have to shut it down to avoid diffy damage. I'll be amazed if I can beat a 2.0 short time in the V - it just feels SO damned heavy, and the traction isn't spectatular even with 255/40s all around. Yeah, I know, short-sidewall tires are going to suck for drag racing, but like I said, I just want to know how to get the best I can out of it, I'm not trying to do anything to make it better at drag racing.

Anyway, thanks again for the advice guys - and please keep adding to the thread if you have more insights!

-Bob

·
Registered
'05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo
4,001 Posts
Simple.

Launch in second gear, 5,500 rpm, side-step the clutch, keep the throttle down when shifting.

For stock setup only.
Side-step???

·
Registered
'05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo
4,001 Posts
you knw move your foot to the left and let the pedal slam back up
Thought so,,,seems kinda hard on the car letting it hit the rev-limiter and slamming it into the next gear

1 - 20 of 33 Posts