Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering how many on these were made? I've only seen 3 of these as of late and was wondering why? I believe these were made from the late 80's to 1993 to be exact. I think '91 and up models had the 4.9 vs. the 4.5 engine in earlier models correct? I posted a pic of the cars I'am talking about so you guys will know the ones I'am referring to. Thankds for any input and oh yeah you coupde deville owners on here please post some pics to:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Yeah those are awesome cars! I almost bought a '91 Coupe, but my dad reserved my '92 sedan before I could go look at it. Cadillac made 25k coupe devilles and Fleetwood Coupes in 1989, that was their highest amount from 1989-1993. By 1991, that amount was cut in half until it dwindled to 4700 in 1993. So yeah if you find one in good shape, GET IT! They are quite rare, and therefore, since they are so rare, and since they are the end of a hallowed nameplate, they should be collectible!

·
Registered
'87 SDV
1,296 Posts
There were actually two coupes made during this period, the Coupe DeVille, and the Fleetwood Coupe. They were made from the same sheet metal, and differed only in trim. The Fleetwood coupes were much more popular, but still only a fraction of the sedan production. To answer your question - yes, they are pretty rare.

Here are the production numbers:

Year CDV FC
1989 4,108 23,294
1990 2,438 17,569
1991 12,134*
1992 8.423*

*Coupe production numbers were totaled together these years

Source: The Standard Catalog of Cadillac

·
Registered
'93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED
5,929 Posts
This from the Manufacturing records at the Lake Orion assembly plant, at Orion Michigan, where all 1985-1993 "C"-Body FWD Cadillacs were produced. This is from the plant's internal production records.

1985 Coupe de Ville 39,500. Fleetwood Coupe 3,000
1986 Coupe de Ville 36,350. Fleetwood Coupe 2,761 (See Below for further explanation) !
1987 Coupe de Ville 32,700. Fleetwood Coupe not offered for 1987.
1988 Coupe de Ville 26,420. Fleetwood Coupe not offered for 1988.
1989 Coupe de Ville 23,294. Fleetwood Coupe 4,108.
1990 Coupe de Ville 17,569. Fleetwood Coupe 2,438.
1991 Coupe de Ville 11,240. Fleetwood Coupe 0,894.
1992 Coupe de Ville 07,980. Fleetwood Coupe 0,443.
1993 Coupe de Ville 04,711. Fleetwood Coupe 0,001.

Totals = Coupe de Ville 199,764.
Fleetwood Coupe = 13,645.

Notes:-
For model year 1986 (only) the Fleetwood Coupe, as a MODEL was discontinued, however it actually DID exist. It became the Fleetwood OPTION and went from the MODEL (with its own VIN prefix) to merely an optional package, "Fleetwood Package" ~ ....

The 1 - 1993 Fleetwood Coupe made, was made as a photographic car, for the 1993 sales brochure. It was made in July 0f 1992. The decession to kill off the model came in August of 1992, so the photo was deleted from the brochure while AT the printer !! The car, in "Dark Cherry" with matching top and the standard "Garnet" CLOTH interior, bore NO options,and was purposely built for the 1993 brochure. It is unknown what became of that car, and I have spent years searching for it, to no avail. Following up on "I thinks..." all of which lead to a dead end street. It may have even been made withOUT a VIN, and therefore would have been scrapped after it's purpose was fullfiled !
Fleetwood Coupes are worth more due to their rariety, exclusiveness and much higher level of standard equipment.

·
Registered
'87 SDV
1,296 Posts
That's wierd Sandy - I've got the same numbers, but in reverse. Could be a misprint in the Standard Catalog of Cadillac. If you have the original plant numbers from Orion, I'll defer to yours. It makes more sense there would be more CDVs than Fleetwoods anyway.

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
You see a lot more normal 4 door ones then coupes but they aren't that rare. If you want one it's not too hard to find one. You hardly ever see any Fleetwood coupes tho.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
brougham said:
You see a lot more normal 4 door ones then coupes but they aren't that rare. If you want one it's not too hard to find one. You hardly ever see any Fleetwood coupes tho.
;) I'm slightly pregnant with one ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have one that is identical to the picture at the top of the thread. Right down to the color and vinyl roof! I have no idea if its rare or not but we love it. It had belonged to my grandmother and she said it would be the last car she ever bought.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
I recieved an e-mail asking the difference between a Coupe deVille and a Fleetwood Coupe, so I'll put it here for all to see, as well.

The following were standard equipment on a Fleetwood Coupe and optional on a Coupe de Ville:-

Bodyside & Decklid Accent Pin Stripe (could be deleted)
50/50 Split Bench Seat
Digital Dash
Power Exterior Mirrors
Cabriolet Landau Padded Vinyl Roof with Opera Lights and Smaller Limousine-style rear Window.
Power Passenger Seat - 6-way
Upgraded Wheels (Choice of 2 styles)
Power Trunk Lid Release & Power Locking
Dual Front Power Seat Recliners
Illuminated Entry System
Dual Illuminated Visor Vanity Mirrors
Trunk Mat
Trumpet Horn
Remote Release Fuel Door
Automatic Dimming Day/Night R/V Mirror
Delco Bose Stereo
Speed Sensitive Steering
Traction Control

and the following that were NOT avaiable on the Coupe de Ville at all:-
Fender Skirts
Rear Seat area with Dual Reading Lamps with Individual light Controls
Unique "Floating Cushion" design seat covers.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
For as much as I would like to have a Town Car or Mark VIII or ETC, I would also consider purchasing of a 1991-93 Fleetwood Coupe if I could find a really really nice one.
And I'm not the kind of guy that would go and buy the same sort of car 2 times.

·
Registered
1992 Cadillac Sedan Deville
175 Posts
I~LUV~Caddys8792 said:
For as much as I would like to have a Town Car or Mark VIII or ETC, I would also consider purchasing of a 1991-93 Fleetwood Coupe if I could find a really really nice one.
And I'm not the kind of guy that would go and buy the same sort of car 2 times.
I don't believe their were any 93 Fleetwood Coupes made.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
SilverFleetwood85 said:
I don't believe their were any 93 Fleetwood Coupes made.
Ah yes, you're correct. typo

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Sandy said:
1 1993 FLWD CPE was made. Read my post/
I saw that, but I figured that was in a museum or something, therefore I could never buy it. Is it in a museum?

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
I have NO idea what where or IF it exists; been searchin' for it for 10 years and am not 1 cent closer to finding it. I think that there's a good chance it was made with no VIN, as I stated, and was scrapped. (My gut feeling).

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Thats very odd, I wonder if it was a 1992, and Cadillac mistakenly wrote 1993.

Its like the Holy Grail of Cadillac....

1 - 20 of 49 Posts