Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
'69 Fleetwood Brougham, '76 Fleetwood Limousine
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A set of landau bars I bought off eBay arrived today.

As the seller said, they will need to be rechromed, which I will have done next week.

Here is a quick photo I took, a demo photo which will do until the bars are installed after being rechromed.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
9,699 Posts
Am I the only one that hates the look of those things? Totally ruins the lines of the roof (and that brand new top)...

Just my opinion, of course. Your car, go for it!

·
Registered
Orange And Purple Lights.
6,632 Posts
honestly, I am a HUGE fan of Landau bars, but only in certain applications. I don't see any enhancement going on with those bars on that car. I'd go for the classic Caddy Coat of Arms logo, myself, but like Jay said, She's your car and **** everyone else, do what you want with her.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I always thought that large area of the side of the roof looked kind of empty without some kind of emblem or ornamentation.

I have seen other limos with landau bars added, limos that didn't have them originally, which those with the blanked out rear quarters had. And I think it adds to the car.

·
Registered
84 Coupe w/500
5,665 Posts
Thats a tough call but I think that once all done and complete, it will look better than not having it. Especially in a pic of the whole car.

·
Registered
'09 Dodge Challenger RT, '84 Cadillac CDV, '05 Ford Crown Vic Sport
2,241 Posts
I think that they will add a very classy touch to the rear of the roof. They'll look great when re-chromed. :)

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think that they will add a very classy touch to the rear of the roof. They'll look great when re-chromed. :)
Yes, I am eager to see them after being re chromed. It's kind of hard to tell now because of the lack of chrome on them.

·
Registered
Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300
5,418 Posts
Not a fan of the "superfly" landau bars. I'd just put a big wreath and crest on the pillar, it would looks a lot more subtle and classy IMO. Just something about a limo needs to stay a bit restrained, understated, and formal IMO.

Also, what's up with that door lock on the rear door? What sort of purpose does it serve, and was it factory???

·
Registered
1979 Sedan deVille d'Elegance
4,153 Posts
Some people like jewelry. Some don't. It's what pleases your eye that counts. A 1976 Cadillac limousine is so over the top all on its own that any extra stuff tacked on almost seems like you're trying too hard. Have fun either way. :)

·
Registered
1970 calais coupe
346 Posts
yeh, I think that should look pretty good once its been rechromed and mounted....

and what IS goin' on with that lock on the rear door?

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The right rear door lock is factory. The limousines had them and the 9-passengers sedans did not.

It requires a separate key and the purpose was so that when the car was chauffeur-driven, only the owner could have access to the rear compartment when the partition was up.

·
Registered
1979 Phaeton Coupe, 1990 Brougham d'Elegance 5.7 liter
4,416 Posts
I like the bars, though it almost looks a bit too big with the rear opera window still there, most of these that had the landau bars got the windows covered up. Maybe if you tilted it more, so it was lined up with the rear-most line of the C-pillar, know what I mean?

Regardless, if there's any car landau bars look good on it's an old 1971-1976 limo / hearse / Eldorado.

How do they attach, anyway?

Ben

·
Registered
1991 Brougham D'Elegance 5.7L V8
613 Posts
Ugh, I hate those things on that car. They look right on a hearse, and that's not a hearse. In my opinion they look tacky. That being said, it's your car and if you like them that's all that matters!

·
Registered
1989 Brougham d'Elegance, 1985 Fleetwood Brougham *Coupe*
4,256 Posts
Landau Bars don't look good on limos. The car is way too long to fool even a moron into thinking it has a convertible top.

Now put Landau Bars on a Coupe and...

:drool:

Or even...

·
Registered
77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB
10,022 Posts
In a true landau, only the rear portion of the roof folds back. The forward portion is either fixed, removed separately, or absent. On modern cars, it's just another bauble to mimic the old coach-built Classics, along with hood ornaments, coach lamps, side mounts, vinyl tops, "classic" grilles, wire wheels, and other such stuff.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
I want a hearse with landau bars..... bad.... with little skulls in the center....
Know what's funny? I know a guy with those. On the ends of the bars. The eyes light up too. I lost the center to one of the ends of mine through that vandalism effort and have come up with a solution that will still look nice and stock. I could always go for the skulls, but I keep the exterior of my car pretty stock, with the exception of the skull-shaped bracket bolts for the license plates, which also light up, which is always awesome, because (read next line while imagining my thick Irish accent) getting pulled over once a week ain't nearly enough.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Not a fan of the "superfly" landau bars. I'd just put a big wreath and crest on the pillar, it would looks a lot more subtle and classy IMO. Just something about a limo needs to stay a bit restrained, understated, and formal IMO.

Also, what's up with that door lock on the rear door? What sort of purpose does it serve, and was it factory???
A lot of Limousines have rear-door locks. I always imagined that it is because they are cars that people may get in and out of (for varying purposed, nudge-nudge), whether or not they were being driven, One could even change the locks, which I have seen done, so they are a different key than the driver's doors. As for the wreath, I have seen a lot of them, on the locks, on the lock for the glovebox, even on the mirrors, but have never particularly been a fan of them. I've got that pretty on on my fifth door, which Oh-So-Many people have asked me about, believing it to be a broken Caddy emblem.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts