Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2003 CTS
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well... i think i might be the first to do this (correct me if im wrong)... got bored one day and decided to rip apart the sidemarkers on the cts. i already had done the mod to clear them out, so i knew what had to be done to separate the glass from the housing again without breaking anything. so i separated the glass and played around a bit. decided to swap out the original bulb and put a series of LEDs in its place. basically, drilled a slightly curved line into the housing of the sidemarker (grey part of it). made the line thick enough to fit a strip of LEDs in there. i left the existing part the original bulb connects to and just spliced into the + and - wires of it to add the LEDs (just incase i want to sell the car one day i can make it look as stock as possible). i was trying to get the same type of look like the lights on the side of the new escalade headlights... anyway i think im talkin to much so ill just post some pictures lol. i only have 3 pictures of it, but lemme know what u think... i might re-do the passenger side so i might be able to take more pics at some point in time...:cool2:

·
Registered
White '04 CTS 3.6L,Two JL 12w7 + Bose/ Boston Tweets
1,481 Posts
NICE!!..very unique..im surprised you kept them amber too, clean job

·
Registered
2003 CTS
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, i try to do as many mods as i can without achieving the "ricer" look... so i HAD TO stay amber lol

·
Registered
CTS 03
1,765 Posts
Looks great, do they blink when the signals are on day and night? I had a problem with a led that wouldn't blink when the lights were on at night.

·
Registered
2003 CTS
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks... they work just like the normal sidemarker lights do

i am thinking of doing a mod with the mirrors, which would have a few single LEDs that would always be on, and also would have a strip of LEDs that would act as turn signals

·
Registered
2006 CTS 2.8L
2,471 Posts
The only thing I don't like about this is the fact that you can't replace or change the light without ripping the housing apart. =/

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts
now try to do it to the tails.....

·
Registered
2003 CTS
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tails and mirrors are my next projects :thumbsup:

My girlfriend got the brand new CTS (jealous) and I am lovin the tail lights on it, which has gotten me in the mood to try to modify the tail lights to support LED strip and cold cathode like the new tail lights

write up and more pics this weekend...

·
Registered
2003 CTS
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
actually.... not sure if it is cold cathode or neon but i will find out... i really want to replicate the new tail lights on the '04

·
Registered
2003 CTS
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yura... the strips were bought from superbrightleds.com... i've done a lot of business with them replacing all the bulbs with LED bulbs interior and exterior... they are great and always fast delivery

·
Registered
2003 CTS
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
tried to get the tails done this weekend... and wow.... impossible

the tails are very difficuly because the housing is so bulky on the inside... going to attempt it again during the week, but will most likely will get the mirrors done before the tails... the reflectors in the tails restrict the light output alot as well

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
tried to get the tails done this weekend... and wow.... impossible

the tails are very difficuly because the housing is so bulky on the inside... going to attempt it again during the week, but will most likely will get the mirrors done before the tails... the reflectors in the tails restrict the light output alot as well
I was looking at this 2 years ago...its doable but theres alot of work involved. You almost need to build an entire new housing to make it look right and and get any benefit out of it. You at least need to take the housing apart to fix the reflector problem. At that point you could sand down the rippled effect of the red plastic/lexan. It will be alot of work, but its certainly doable! Good luck!

Those side markers look stellar, too. Nice work!

·
Registered
2006 CTS 2.8L
2,471 Posts
I have this feeling it's going to start looking very tacky with all those LED strips.

Nice to see you take some good initiative on this though.

·
Registered
> BMUU
14,388 Posts
didn't like having a single 6led in there? I loved mine. Easy to swap (194 Wedge bulb), no modification needed. Simple, but nice, IMO.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts