Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1995 FWB 124,*** miles
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year, I noticed lots of small cracks on sidewalls of all four Michelin tires. The car has been barely driven (1,000 - 3,000 a year) and is parked for weeks between short trips. Dry rot... Probably, they are still okay to drive, but it is better to be safe than sorry. I am on a very tight budget right now, but hate to buy used tires.

The cheapest new tires I could find are Kumho Solus KR21 P235/70R15. Anybody familiar with them? I know that tires, just like shoes, can be very different.

·
Registered
1995 Fleetwood
84 Posts
My nephew had that tire on a Pontiac, they wore ok, and rode very well, but were like trying to get traction with wooden tires when the temps were below 40F, pretty much awful in the cold, even on dry roads.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham
6,454 Posts
I've had kh16, kr21 and now ecsta lx platinum on a Honda civic. Each tire has been better than last and I always seem to come back to kumho when I need small 15" tires for my Honda/inclement weather car. Go to tire rack and check out the reviews and compare them to other tires.

·
Registered
chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
6,397 Posts
I have kuhmo solus kr21 215/60r15 on my hightop safari. Handle decently (granted it's a hightop with blown shocks, so no high speed maneuvering). Traction in the wet is good. Traction in snow is decent. Highway ride is rough (constant small vibrations), but again, blown shocks (and probably worn front springs) will do that (and yeah, I had the tires rebalance to make sure that wasn't the issue). For a cheap (under 550 installed per set) tire, I recommend them. They're better than the Hercules tires on the other hightop safari in wet/ snow.

·
Registered
1979 Sedan deVille d'Elegance
4,153 Posts
Have the Kuhmo Solus 215/75-15 on my 79 Cadillac currently, put them on 5 years ago. They are quiet, have worn like iron, and they have reliably gone through snow and cold up north and summertime furnace hot roads in the sunshine state with no issues whatsoever. :)

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado, 1974 Talisman, 2004 Volvo C70, 1975 Fleetwood 'd Elegance
7,958 Posts
I put Kumhos of the appropriate size and style on my Volvo which is my winter car. that were of course different than the ones you are considering, but I was extremely pleased with the traction they gave in Wis winters.
They were recommended by a very trusted tire dealer I have dealt with since the 1980's. I was not worried. Also not disappointed. I would buy them again.

·
Registered
1995 FWB 124,*** miles
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the replies. I'll get those KUMHOs. I'll post the pictures of the tires with dry rot. They still have lots of tread life.

·
Registered
1983 FWB (Mac), 1981 SDV (Junkyard Dog)
734 Posts
HUF, that's a pity that your Michelins have gone sideways. My 83 FWB had Michelin tires on it which were date stamped 1995 when I got it. Mileage on the car was 27,750 from new and my guess was that the originally supplied tires had cracked, became rotted and were unusable. The mileage on my car is now at 72,900 and the tires still have more than 50% tread left. Thank goodness for HT 4100's. If and when they ever wear out or show signs of cracking (I clean and protect them with Meguire's tire cleaner), I will buy Michelins for sure. The ride and handling Michelins deliver is the best I've ever had. The only drawback is that Michelin doesn't offer the X tire design anymore. I am not a fan of the look of Michelin Symmetry and I won't have blackwalls so I might be forced to change brands. That is if my Michelin X tires give out before I do.

Cheers..............R.

·
Registered
1995 FWB 124,*** miles
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
QUOTE=Robin Banx;14087641]HUF, that's a pity that your Michelins have gone sideways. My 83 FWB had Michelin tires on it which were date stamped 1995 when I got it. Mileage on the car was 27,750 from new and my guess was that the originally supplied tires had cracked, became rotted and were unusable. The mileage on my car is now at 72,900 and the tires still have more than 50% tread left. Thank goodness for HT 4100's. If and when they ever wear out or show signs of cracking (I clean and protect them with Meguire's tire cleaner), I will buy Michelins for sure. The ride and handling Michelins deliver is the best I've ever had. The only drawback is that Michelin doesn't offer the X tire design anymore. I am not a fan of the look of Michelin Symmetry and I won't have blackwalls so I might be forced to change brands. That is if my Michelin X tires give out before I do.

Cheers..............R.[/QUOTE]
Yes, I was very pleased with Michelins as well. When I just bought the Fleetwood in 2009, I thought the tires were good for another 70.000 miles or 10 years - they looked new. The car had 84,000 miles. I have made only 20,000 miles since 2009. They still have lots of tread life but the cracks... There are cracks everywhere. See the picture.
IMG_1719.JPG [

·
Registered
1983 FWB (Mac), 1981 SDV (Junkyard Dog)
734 Posts
Wow........death trap city. 2009 is only 6 years ago. Are the cracks that I see in the sidewall below the tread evident in all 4 tires? They look like the tires one would expect to see on a barn find. Can you read the year stamp on the tires? I wouldn't have believed those cracks if I hadn't seen them. If it were me, I'd be talking to a reputable Michelin dealer about a deep discount on some satisfactory replacement tires. I hope your new tires give you the appearance you want and the durability you expect.

Cheers ..............R.

·
Registered
chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
6,397 Posts
Wow........death trap city. 2009 is only 6 years ago. Are the cracks that I see in the sidewall below the tread evident in all 4 tires? They look like the tires one would expect to see on a barn find. Can you read the year stamp on the tires? I wouldn't have believed those cracks if I hadn't seen them. If it were me, I'd be talking to a reputable Michelin dealer about a deep discount on some satisfactory replacement tires. I hope your new tires give you the appearance you want and the durability you expect.

Cheers ..............R.
My safari with the kuhmos came with tires from 2008 (i think they were hankooks). They were completely shot as far as dryrotting and still had 85 percent tread left on them. I replaced them due to fear of a blowout (I drive 20 miles to work now, and when my dad drives it, he will put 60 miles a day on it).

·
Registered
1995 FWB 124,*** miles
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Cheers ..............R.
I could not find the date stamp - the one that starts with "DOT". It could be on the inner side of the tires. Yes all four tires are like that. The sidewalls are covered with hairline spider cracks. There were no cracks two years ago. The tires could have been installed before 2009.

·
Registered
1995 FWB 124,*** miles
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
QUOTE=Robin Banx;14087641]HUF, that's a pity that your Michelins have gone sideways. My 83 FWB had Michelin tires on it which were date stamped 1995 when I got it. Mileage on the car was 27,750 from new and my guess was that the originally supplied tires had cracked, became rotted and were unusable. The mileage on my car is now at 72,900 and the tires still have more than 50% tread left. Thank goodness for HT 4100's. If and when they ever wear out or show signs of cracking (I clean and protect them with Meguire's tire cleaner), I will buy Michelins for sure. The ride and handling Michelins deliver is the best I've ever had. The only drawback is that Michelin doesn't offer the X tire design anymore. I am not a fan of the look of Michelin Symmetry and I won't have blackwalls so I might be forced to change brands. That is if my Michelin X tires give out before I do.

Cheers..............R.
Yes, I was very pleased with Michelins as well. When I just bought the Fleetwood in 2009, I thought the tires were good for another 70.000 miles or 10 years - they looked new. The car had 84,000 miles. I have made only 20,000 miles since 2009. They still have lots of tread life but the cracks... There are cracks everywhere. See the picture.
View attachment 290417 [[/QUOTE]

UPDATE: Two days ago, finally replaced these scary tires with a set of KUMHO SOLUS KR21 (blackwall). Out of curiosity, asked the tire guy to check the date codes on the old Michelins. They were made in April-May 2004!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts