Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
04' CTS-V, 04' Escalade EXT
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help me out if you can.

I just got my Kooks back from the thermal plater so its time to do the install.
Question 1. Was there a set of install instructions with your set of headers?

I need the torque settings for the header/cat bolts, and/or anything else to be aware of that might come up.

thanks~rgd

·
Registered
Cadillac
45 Posts
Didn't get instructions with mine. I never torqued mine to a specific number I just tightened and ran a couple days than re checked them.

·
Registered
'11 CTS V Coupe
106 Posts
Yea, those instructions! Don't forget to remove the pinch bolt from the lower steering shaft so you can swing it out of the way for the installation of the driver side header. Makes it easy.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everybody so far. Urb been there read that. :thumbsup: Thanks though.
Guess I'll just do the install as I always do. The seat of my pants the book and when all else fails...the forum!

Start time: 5:41 with exception cleaning the garage from the weekend malaise on the trailer!

·
Registered
'06 CTSV
451 Posts
Remove the dipstick tube from below!

Push it out of the block with your thumb and forefinger and make a mental note as to where it came out from using the starter and machined flat on the block as reference.

Resist the temptation to yank it out from the top!!!!!

Piece of cake install.

·
Premium Member
'05 CTS-V, '12 CTS-V Manny Vagon
6,076 Posts
18 FtLbs on the headers bolts. I called and asked George myself :thumbsup: .

as for the cats, well they are just going to keep comming loose anyway, so tighten em down hard.

I welded the one end of my cats to my resonator. The Header to Cat connection is my only non-welded connection.

I HATE LEAKS!

-Chris

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
13,987 Posts
I followed Rick's instructions for B&B headers in the FAQ PLUS the above suggestion about the steering linkage bolt. Unfortunately, Rick's instructions glossed over (oh, hell, let's be honest ... he left it out completely!) the part about the dipstick. I did it from the top and scared the $hit out of myself, but if BBV's correct about doing it from below, I'd go that way. Otherwise, Rick's writeup was great!

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V Thunder Gray; 2004 Cowboy Cadillac (SRT10)
17,712 Posts
I followed Rick's instructions for B&B headers in the FAQ PLUS the above suggestion about the steering linkage bolt. Unfortunately, Rick's instructions glossed over (oh, hell, let's be honest ... he left it out completely!) the part about the dipstick. I did it from the top and scared the $hit out of myself, but if BBV's correct about doing it from below, I'd go that way. Otherwise, Rick's writeup was great!
I was thinking about going with the BB Headers, what did you think about the quality?

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dipstick rookies.

If you know where the hole is in the block, it isn't hard to find. :)
Heck if you can't find the hole when the headers are in place just put some furr around it. Easy to find then!

:lildevil:

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
13,987 Posts
I was thinking about going with the BB Headers, what did you think about the quality?
I have Kooks. Quality was perfect. I've heard great things about B&B, too.

Heck if you can't find the hole when the headers are in place just put some furr around it. Easy to find then!

:lildevil:
Couldn't see it, couldn't feel it, couldn't smell it, ... nothing! Just had to poke around till I found the right one. :rolleyes: Others who've posted here didn't get so lucky. :)

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
I recommend putting medium strength loctite on the header bolts into the cylinder heads and torquing them as stated above.
The dipstick tube might be a pain if you are not sure where it went, I didn't have any problems doing it from above, but I do this type of thing everyday really.

Pretty straightforward install. To me the worst part was the spark plugs, taking them out I mean.
Everything else was fairly easy.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
I took them out, those factory manifolds are heavy and if they slip they'll snap the spark plugs off.
I think they are almost 10 bucks a pop, easier to take them out rather than me having to pay for them ;)

It could be done if you are taking your time without removing the plugs.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
By the way the install was a piece of cake. Took a little longer than I expected but went fine.

My first impression is, YES MORE POWER!

Definitely noticeable!

New StealthV PCM due in tomorrow.

Thanks for the help!

rgd-out

1 - 20 of 21 Posts