Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

FYI I got the car tuned last night with the Kooks long tube heads and Magnaflow exhaust. I gained another 4-5HP across the powerband and almost 10lbs of torque. That brought final numbers to around 380RWHP and 365torque. Car was very consistant, only varying by 1-2HP each run. If it was only and auto it would make a great bracket car.

Car seems more responsive through midrange and pulls like crazy up top. Once I calm down and stop keeping it in 4th and 5th on the freeway I will report any fuel consumption change.

Big thanks to Richard at Magnaflow. He took 4 hours of his own time after work to dyno and reflash the car. He really did'nt have to do that and I appreciate it.

For now I think thats it for a while. I'm REALLY tempted to throw a cam in the car. But that seems like it would be going "to far". Everything right now is bolt on and fairly easy to revert to stock.

I will get a dyno chart posted as soon as I can.

*************
 

·
Registered
'04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V, '13ZL1, '12 V, '16 Z06 SC757
Joined
·
6,440 Posts
Excellent results. Have you ever tried a Stealth Tune? Just curious?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
476 Posts
Before you try a cam, suggest you try a ported throttle body. It is easy to install and you can expect about 8-9 rwhp, depending upon who did the porting. Then consider rocker arms instead of a cam. Initial cost is more, but installation is much easier. Again, there are differences between mfgs.
 

·
Registered
none
Joined
·
302 Posts
For the $$ - It would be hard to ignore a cam.

Try something kinda mild that would work with the stock springs. Cams aren't that hard to swap.

Katech Torquer or LPE GT2-3.

$350 - $400 for the part and no labor for the spring swap should put you close to 400 rwhp or more.
 

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
Joined
·
1,181 Posts
Aaron -

Do you know how much you gained by just adding the Kooks headers? I'm on the fence about which way to go, Kooks or SW headers. How much did exhaust tone change?

Thanks,
John
 
1

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Rey said:
Before you try a cam, suggest you try a ported throttle body. It is easy to install and you can expect about 8-9 rwhp, depending upon who did the porting. Then consider rocker arms instead of a cam. Initial cost is more, but installation is much easier. Again, there are differences between mfgs.
I'm curious, did you run the car after the t body swap to see if you made the rwhp????
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Staxxin said:
Aaron -

Do you know how much you gained by just adding the Kooks headers? I'm on the fence about which way to go, Kooks or SW headers. How much did exhaust tone change?

Thanks,
John
Somewhere around 15RWHP. Its very noticeable in top end. The exhaust note did change, only for the better IMO. Quality of the headers is great. Very thick flanges and about as equal length as you can get on these cars.

*************
 

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
Joined
·
1,627 Posts
Great choice with the headers/exhaust. Congrats on the 380 RWHP. That is the magic number for me also, but will probably not be a reality until sometime next summer. Anyway, if you don't mind me asking, how much were the headers, headers installation, and I assume the magnaflow was approximately $700.00. Thanks in advance for the info.

C.J.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
591 Posts
AARON.......Looks like you beat me to the punch!! :dammit: I assume George Kook will make me #2 on the long tube header list. I've been in touch with them for two months now and I'm hopeing for an early Christmas present this year!!! Congrates on the install!! The 4 hour tune had to be with it!! Oh yea....Don't forget to "Beat the Daily; it keeps them Happy!" :rofl:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
JOEYCTS-V said:
What size are they?
2 3/4's!

Honestly I don't know. I've been told they where 1 7/8's but i've been wrong before! Either wy makes great power or me!

*************
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
PneuBird said:
AARON.......Looks like you beat me to the punch!! :dammit: I assume George Kook will make me #2 on the long tube header list. I've been in touch with them for two months now and I'm hopeing for an early Christmas present this year!!! Congrates on the install!! The 4 hour tune had to be with it!! Oh yea....Don't forget to "Beat the Daily; it keeps them Happy!" :rofl:
Your wait will be well worth it! Longtubes are not for everyone, regardless of brand. It invokes a feel and sound not normally associated with said vehicle, and certainly not a Cadillac. I get 10 times the looks now and find mysefl leaving extra space between the car in front of me so I can make a more agressive launch when the light turns green. That along with leaving it in a lower gear then usual. Its a sickness I tell you!

Fit and fnish is great. Only thing I found interesting is you probably could'nt put a dime between one of the header tubes and the steering rod going down to the rack. Seriously tight tolerences (heh) but to date has not been an issue. Real test will be a track day! Currently working on some video camera ideas before I head back out.

You will need to purchase aftermarket wires to clear the header tubes. The OEM boots are far to thick and wide (heh). I chose MSD wires and found they fit the best. With the bendable ends they skinnyed btween the tubes and don't make contact. Found those on Ebay fairly cheap for $56.00 shipped.

*************
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
tweeter81 said:
Great choice with the headers/exhaust. Congrats on the 380 RWHP. That is the magic number for me also, but will probably not be a reality until sometime next summer. Anyway, if you don't mind me asking, how much were the headers, headers installation, and I assume the magnaflow was approximately $700.00. Thanks in advance for the info.

C.J.
In fairness to Magnaflow,Kooks and potential customers I told myself I would'nt talk about price. But like the Magnaflow exhaust system, it was sold at a discount.

FWIW I did leave them the car for a while. While they where at it I think they jigged up the OEM cats for replacement units in the future and a few other odds and ends. Including waiting for some TR55 plugs to arrive for testing.

Riding a motorcycle to work in 45F (its cold for Cali people, ok!) weather for a week was worth it!

*************
 

·
Registered
2017 Camaro ZL1; 2011 CTS-V sedan; 2004 Lightning
Joined
·
12,007 Posts
Aaron,

I'm in Corona and I'd like to see/hear your headers one of these days. Drop me a PM or an email ([email protected]) if you feel like getting together.

Jerry
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
lawfive said:
Aaron,

I'm in Corona and I'd like to see/hear your headers one of these days. Drop me a PM or an email ([email protected]) if you feel like getting together.

Jerry
I dunno. I mean, I've never met a CTS-V owner before from online. Is it like meeting a Fbody owner??!?!?!! Surely it can't be that bad!

All kidding aside, sent you an e-mail. I live right off the 241 toll road.

*************
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top