Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
'09 CTS-V '09 GT-R
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the Kooks headers installed today at Behe Performance. I went back to the stock mufflers because I was afraid they would be too loud. To be honest...I am kind of disappointed in the sound compared to my 3" custom cat-back. The only good thing is that there isn't any drone in the car. But the downside is that the "good" nasty noise isn't there either. I may have to try another muffler. I thought about changing out to the Vibrant mufflers that were on my custom exhaust, but they are a straight through muffler and are more of a "resonator". I imagine there has to be something in between. I also heard that the headers take some time to break-in.

Also, the power gain was not quite what I expected. The peak hp gain was only 12.6 rwhp more than what I dynoed at Behe before with the 3" custom cat-back that deleted the secondary cats, and includes an x-pipe.

If anyone is interested in the all stainless steel cat-back I am putting it out there for $450 obo (I paid $1,050 to fabricate it at Mandrel Bending Solutions). It is being held at Behe in its entirety ready to bolted right up. It is in great shape and only on the car for 3K miles. It has 4" round polished tips as well. A couple of pics below. PM me if you are interested.

Tom

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T
3,085 Posts
Is your boost pressure the same as it was with the custom 3" or did it drop down with the headers ?

·
Registered
'09 CTS-V, 3K miles & '87 Turbo Buick, 29K miles
3,435 Posts
I don't know, Tom, I think that the 12.6 is a pretty worthwhile gain, a handful of all out blasts, a track day, or a track day at the local 1/4 or 1/8 mile track and the headers will or should come to life. Did you have yours Jet-Hotted or are they bare stainless steel. Also, when you go full-tilt, I feel confident that the noise level will be to your liking.
Was the 12.6 with a re-tune, or without?
What was the gain from the Cat-back system over a stock exhaust system?
Was this on a Dynojet?

·
Registered
'09 CTS-V '09 GT-R
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is your boost pressure the same as it was with the custom 3" or did it drop down with the headers ?
Boost pressure dropped 0.5 psi with the header installation.

I don't know, Tom, I think that the 12.6 is a pretty worthwhile gain, a handful of all out blasts, a track day, or a track day at the local 1/4 or 1/8 mile track and the headers will or should come to life. Did you have yours Jet-Hotted or are they bare stainless steel. Also, when you go full-tilt, I feel confident that the noise level will be to your liking.
Was the 12.6 with a re-tune, or without?
What was the gain from the Cat-back system over a stock exhaust system?
Was this on a Dynojet?
This was on Behe's Dynapack dyno. Yeah, 12.6rwhp is decent, but not exactly overwhelming for the $2,300 spent for the headers + installation. The headers are just bare stainless.

Separately, I dynoed the cat-back + KPE CAI on a Dynojet. Stock it made 462rwhp and 478rwhp after the CAI and cat-back. People were speculating at the time that most of the gain was from the cat-back. I have done some other mods since...

I am planning on testing it out at MIR on 9/17 track rental. Hopefully, I will hit the track earlier if the weather cools down.

Tom

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
^ also are you throwing any 02 rear bank codes like the people with the ar's are ? And do you have high flow cats with the headers or just straight headers to mufflers ?

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Sounds about right, Jesse said the B&B catback will gain you about 16hp. What other mods do you have or are you still stock with the exhaust system ? I have the b&B catback right now and hearing this doesnt sound like its worthwhile going the header route in the future. Hearing the ar headers w/ the stock mufflers on Cbloveday's car it was incredible how much quieter the headers/stock muffler setup is than a solid catback exhaust.

·
Registered
'09 CTS-V '09 GT-R
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^ also are you throwing any 02 rear bank codes like the people with the ar's are ? And do you have high flow cats with the headers or just straight headers to mufflers ?
I have the high flow cats. So far in about 50 miles of driving no CELs (I just knocked on wood).

Tom

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
I have the high flow cats. So far in about 50 miles of driving no CELs (I just knocked on wood).

Tom
I've probably got about 5k miles on the Kooks with a couple of track days. After my last track day, the exhaust really broke in. Significantly. It's not crazy loud yet, but it's certainly more aggressive...

·
Registered
'09 CTS-V '09 GT-R
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hope my headers break-in a little louder. Otherwise, I might try to get some Corsa Axle-backs.

Tom

·
Registered
'09 CTS-V '09 GT-R
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was ok with my exhaust until I heard you leave Behe the other day! It is all your fault!!! :thumbsup:

Tom

·
Registered
'09 CTS-V '09 GT-R
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok...this morning I started the V for the first time since Friday night....and was welcomed with my first CEL. It looks like I might have to invest in my own personal code reader.

Tom

·
Registered
'09 CTS-V '09 GT-R
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is notorious with headers. Obviously kooks and even AR will throw the cel's.
I was being optimistic when I thought it wouldn't happen to me... oh well... like I said...I might have to invest in a handheld to clear it... did I mention how much I hate the CEL... I might just put a piece of electrical tape over the light... (half-kidding there).

Tom

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
From what Cbloveday said he's getting the cel about every 2k miles. It might be possible to fix the issue with putting in two extra bungs and a set of anti-foulers but that would have to be tested. Whats a pain in the arse is that every car make/model has slightly different tolerances to headers and can be sometimes tricky to work with.

·
Registered
'09 CTS-V '09 GT-R
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Interesting... I have put under 150 miles on it before the CEL. I am heading back to Behe tomorrow morning to have them check it out.

Tom

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
What really annoys me is that Kooks and AR have run into this issue with several other vehicles like my old jeep srt8. If you em and ask them about cel's 99% of the time they will not reply at all. I wish they would put some more effort into making the headers somehow more "cel friendly" I would jump on headers if i knew i wouldnt get a cel. Black tape is not a good idea because if something else goes wrong with the car you'll never know. Best just to have a handheld on hand.

·
Registered
'09 CTS-V, 3K miles & '87 Turbo Buick, 29K miles
3,435 Posts
I would almost swear to it that sometime back somebody had their installer, whom I think might have been BeHe, modify something on either Kooks or AR headers that made them user friendly towards the CEL. Something about the bungs or something being too far away from the cats to tell when the cats have actually fired off. Anybody else remember any such thread / post. Sorry for the interruption, but I thought that this info might come in handy. HTH

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
^ Thats what Jesse said he would have to do to make it work without a cel. My frustration is that why aren't kooks/ar properly putting the bungs in the correct location in the first place ??

1 - 20 of 36 Posts