Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2011 SRX4 3.0 4WD Luxury
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
looked at the report from my free rotation....Hmmmm....got out my collapsible 4 way wrench and could not crack them loose - went on amazon and bought this....problem solved and its cheap , bag is a POS so just throw it away............

sorry to re-open the debate / rabbit hole on the torque, as it is confusing and varies by year and wheel material , but seriously ??? 140 foot pounds? Jesus, my jeeps head bolts require only 160.... https://www.amazon.com/EPAuto-Telescoping-Wrench-Wheel-Sockets/dp/B071FV7XVM/ref=sr_1_5?crid=HB39DF0EBDUZ&keywords=telescoping+lug+wrench&qid=1642123215&sprefix=telescoping+lug+wrench,aps,181&sr=8-5

·
Registered
2014 SRX4 Prem
333 Posts
Same thing with my mechanic when he did my brakes.
Had to tell him this vehicle has a spec for EVERYTHING!

·
Registered
2011 SRX4 3.0 4WD Luxury
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
as Ronny said....trust but verify 😝

·
Registered
2014 SRX 3.6 Perf. 2010 DTS 4.6 Lux
161 Posts
My 2014 SRX came with an air compressor instead of a spare tire. The theory being if you picked up a mail or screw you could air up the tire and get to a tire shop (preferably your Cadillac dealer). Remember, worked at the dealership. I bought a spare tire kit. The parts manager said it didn’t matter because I would destroy the included “lug wrench” if I ever tried to change a tire. All of the wheels are mounted in the dealer service department with an impact wrench. I promptly bought a non-collapsible 4 way lug wrench. I haven’t had to change a tire yet, but I am prepared.

By the way, the power outlet in the cargo area is so the compressor will reach the rear wheels while mounted on the car.

·
Registered
2013 SRX PERFORMANCE, ICE WHITE
630 Posts
Just because an impact wrench is used does not matter for setting proper torque. Back in the days when I did all of my own work I used an impact wrench.

g

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac Deville
456 Posts
Trip, if your wheels are alloy, you might want to inspect the bolt holes for gaulding or deformation. If the tire tech (won't call him a mechanic or wrench) torqued them this tight and it damaged the wheels they owe new ones. Keep an eye on them least they loosen.

·
Registered
2012 SRX4 Premium
917 Posts
Seems grease monkeys with impacts who make more money when they work fast is a common problem. My buddy's tire store always torques mine, but I sometimes have to remind them.

I tell you what though, when I went to rotate the tires on the SRX, even properly torqued my own impact wouldn't budge them. A long 1/2" breaker wouldn't do the trick either. I needed a 30" cheater on that bar. That's why I keep telling people don't worry about not having a spare. You likely won't be able to get your flat off along side the road unless you got some serious tools with you. Methinx your money would be better spent buying an AAA membership. Especially if it's your wife's car. As for the compressor/tire goo combo, most of our wives could likely manage to use those.

I kinda like Trippy's new toy, erm I mean tool, but it does not look all that sturdy and the angle doesn't look optimal to me either.

·
Registered
96 FWB
2,837 Posts
"I kinda like Trippy's new toy, erm I mean tool, but it does not look all that sturdy and the angle doesn't look optimal to me either."

I thought it was just me. The angle looks to be a rounding off episode waiting to happen. But looks can be deceiving. And I can always tell exactly which wheel on the wife's SUV got pulled for bi-annual inspection = the only one needing a cheater bar on the breaker bar.

·
Registered
2014 SRX4 Prem
333 Posts
Trip, if your wheels are alloy, you might want to inspect the bolt holes for gaulding or deformation. If the tire tech (won't call him a mechanic or wrench) torqued them this tight and it damaged the wheels they owe new ones. Keep an eye on them least they loosen.
Agreed over-torquing alloy wheels is a major no-no!
I am fortunate the manager at BJ's takes this seriously.
I randomly check a couple lugs on each wheel after rotations and nary an issue. Once it was a bit under.

All the default lug wrenches don't really stand a chance. Cheapest metal and shallow socket screams strip me.

Caught a flat with the Volvo, got three out of five lugs off before the inside was round. Fortunately there was an auto store across the road and picked up a proper X.

In the SRX my trusted 40 year old 1/2" and a 500ft/lb deep well chrome molly socket always gets it done!
Perfect angle for leverage and I have jumped on this thing plenty - even when I weighed 265 back in the day.
Line Font Automotive exterior Bumper Tool

·
Registered
2011 SRX4 3.0 4WD Luxury
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The socket fits correctly - yes the angle is a bit odd (so it accommodates deeper offset wheels) but i had no problem or angst removing the nuts, hey 15 bucks what the hell...............

Reactions: Markni

·
Registered
2012 SRX4 Premium
917 Posts
That looks like the same trusty Craftsman breaker I have which has also never let me down. Using that bar and a 6 point I could always break lugs which I previously torqued at 100. Need a cheater though for the SRX. This is probably a no-brainer, but to be sure I don't screw up the lug nuts I sometime stack wood blocks up even with the nut and rest a short extension on top which prevents any chance of the socket going out of perpendicular. For the record I own several nice 4 ways, but they don't really cut it anymore either. I got no spare though, so no worries. Tire iron? Who needs to carry a tire iron?

·
Registered
2014 SRX4 Prem
333 Posts
Good eye that is a Craftsman. Probably the best piece of metal I've ever owned.
And yeah four way is ok for my Volvo, but not for this Rhino! 🦏

I have a spare and never even bothered to look at the factory iron, just dropped this iunder the floor along with the jumper cables.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.5 Non Turbo
36 Posts
During frequent walks in the big city at lunchtime for exercise and relief from the pressure of my job I would often see in the gutter a lugnut on a short length of threaded rod at intersections. Those were from vehicles with lugnuts likely overtightened by mechanics who used impact tools without torque limiters. It seems that the lugs would break off from stress when rounding a corner.

At home I use a torque wrench and work up each lug in alternating succession but when elsewhere always ask how the mechanic or tire changer will tighten the lugnuts. None of our three cars specifies more than 100 foot-pounds of torque. I agree with YouTube that says to NOT use antiseize.

·
Registered
96 FWB
2,837 Posts
The bullets at the bottom. Impossible to count all the threads that pop up arguing this one:
- Clean wheel bolts or nuts and check threads for damage, renew if necessary. Renew corroded wheel bolts. Attention! Do not apply oil or grease to wheel studs or bolts.

I heard once (and preach forever), "Never apply anything on wheel studs except a wire brush."

Also posted at EVERY dealer and repair shop:
"NOTICE: All employees are to install wheels using only an impact, and set to 180# for safety. 140 to cover even some of those Cadys, and another 40 just for good measure."

·
Registered
08 CTS V6 FE-3
13 Posts
Also posted at EVERY dealer and repair shop:
"NOTICE: All employees are to install wheels using only an impact, and set to 180# for safety. 140 to cover even some of those Cadys, and another 40 just for good measure."
[/QUOTE]

There is apparently a Pandemic of this kind of over torquing. As part of an annual inspection of an 08 CTS at a local tire shop; they found two tires needing replaced, which I expected to be put on the front after mounting, not these guys. So I decided to rotate them myself. Using the 18" breaker bar that I keep in the tire well, I was unable to break them loose by hand. So I stood up on the bar (I weigh 180 lbs); still no luck. Then I sprang up & down on the bar to achieve success. So my rough calculation on the required torque is my 180 + about 50 more to break it = 230 X 1.5 ft for the bar would be 345 ft-lbs. Needless to say; I Blew them up on Yelp. Alternatively I have have excellent results at Discount Tire.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts