Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter had a 2006 Sts. Just got it back on the road after changing the power steering pump. Car is running strong and the check engine light came on. Had it scanned. The code came back as a knock sensor. Had anyone changed one? Any advice. I know it’s located near the starter. Does the starter have to come out to replace it?

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
29,072 Posts
It's much more likely that the problem is the result of the work on the power steering pump. Check for unplugged connectors, pinched or cut wires.

·
2005 STS
46 Posts
Just so you know in case it is one or both knock sensors, they are located under the intake manifold covering, where the starter is located. You'll have to remove the fuel injector railing and the fuel injectors to get to it.

From what dkozloski said, those parts are nowhere near each other and that problem shouldn't have happened from what you say you had done to the car.

Also, if the knock sensors are bad and you will have to take the intake manifold covering off, make sure to buy some manifold gaskets, and also check your plenum to make sure it's not cracked or showing signs of wear and tear. Both of those items shouldn't cost more than $60 together... depending on the plenum price.

Kevin

·
Registered
08 STS 1SG HUD ACC F55 AWD, 08 STS 1SG Platinum HUD ACC F55 RWD
518 Posts
Afili8ter - your post is based on your assumption that the vehicle is a 4.6 n*. Based on previous posts, it is a 3.6. I know that the OP did not make us helping easier by including that info in the post (or in the avatar so it gets posted every time)
I have not worked on a 3.6 much but the starter is not under the intake manifold but outside on the side like most cars. Someone who knows more than I, please chime in. Is the knock sensor in front of the starter on the side also? That would put it close to the previous work on the PS. dkozloski is likely correct. Good Luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just so you know in case it is one or both knock sensors, they are located under the intake manifold covering, where the starter is located. You'll have to remove the fuel injector railing and the fuel injectors to get to it.

From what dkozloski said, those parts are nowhere near each other and that problem shouldn't have happened from what you say you had done to the car.

Also, if the knock sensors are bad and you will have to take the intake manifold covering off, make sure to buy some manifold gaskets, and also check your plenum to make sure it's not cracked or showing signs of wear and tear. Both of those items shouldn't cost more than $60 together... depending on the plenum price.

Kevin
I had it fixed by my mechanic. He charged 150.00 which I think is pretty fair. Probably got damaged when we replaced the starter last year. This car is not a fun car to work on. I think it’s time to sell it.

·
2005 STS
46 Posts
The knock sensors can be replaced in about an hour of time, even with changing the gaskets on the manifold.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
29,072 Posts
I suspect the sensors are OK and some wring is damaged.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts