Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

So I popped the tire off on the front driver side today looks like the bushing is wore out where the strut connects on the bottom side. Checked the end links and sway bushing they look okay. Is this common in an 05 V? It knocks when turning or hitting a bump, also in cooler weather seems to squeak over bumps on that side quite abit. Hopefully someone who has dealt with this issue might know more!!

Also follow up question does anyone know what type of strut is best for the 05?

Thank you guys in advance!

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,026 Posts
I don't know if it's common, but every rubber bushing is going to wear out eventually. How many miles are on the car?

I think at this point the only options for dampers are either the FE4s or something aftermarket (KW/Beltech, D2, KSport, etc).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey AAIIIC,

I have approx. 90k I'm Canadian but the conversion is around there, are FE4s good for our car? If I do it I want to do it right haha. Any idea where I could get them in Canada, is it possible the endlinks look good but are knocking? its quite noticeable for sure.

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,026 Posts
FE4s and FG2s were the two suspensions offered for the V, so they're as right as GM's engineers thought they could be. :) They both used the same springs, so even if your car has FG2s, there's no problem putting on FE4s. Rockauto.com has the FE4s for front and rear, I'm not sure if they ship to Canuckland.

It's pretty easy to disconnect the swaybar end links, you might want to do that (then drive around and see if the noise goes away) before spending the big bucks on new dampers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sweet I never even thought of that. Is it dangerous to drive with them disconnected? or just go for a short little ride probably be the best idea. I agree anyway I can save money want to do some hear asap haha. Thank you so much for taking the time to chat with me I really appreciate the help!

·
Registered
2005 Red CTS-V and a Silver 2005 CTS-V
75 Posts
My 05 started to really have an embarrassing loud squeak in the left front about 4 years ago. Everybody would turn their heads when I drove by. There is a service part for it. Looks like two Teflon washers that go next to the bushings at the control arm to frame section. Quiet ever since. Parts were dead cheap.

·
Registered
05 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 08 Light Platinum SRX V8, 05 White Diamond STS4 V8 1SG
2,098 Posts
Chances are it is the anti-roll bar bushings. But that doesn't mean it couldn't be something less common. To diagnose, disconnect both end links and grab the bar to see if it moves in the bushings. It won't move until you disconnect the end links.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts