Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1968 Coupe DeVille
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm wanting to convert my 68 to duals, and I came across this conversion kit on ebay from a seller called Klass Kollection. Can't find much info on them online, but their feedback score is decent given the number of sales.
Anybody ever go this route for duals on their 60's Caddy?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1961-74-Cadillac-Complete-Dual-Conversion-Replacement-Exhaust-System-W-Res-/351337370370?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item51cd56d302

----------

Clicked on a link that looked promising. Apparently, the company is called Kepich Exhaust. The kit looks pretty decent for the money.
http://www.kepichexhaust.com/cadillac/1965-1974-cadillac-dual-conversion-exhaust-system

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,458 Posts
The Kepich looks like a decent system and good deal. If you have deep pockets and live anywhere near winter salt or beach salt, get the S/S system.

It appears that the systems are roll-formed, not mandrel formed, so there will be some compression in turns and bends. With the apparent pipe sizes that makes no difference in efficiency.

If they build the systems from scratch you can specify anything you want.

Didn't Google it - where's Fair Hill ? I'm on Kent Island, just east of Annapolis.

·
Registered
1968 Coupe Deville, 87 Mustang, 00 Mustang
149 Posts
That looks like it has potential, have not seen another kit anywhere. I noticed it does not come with a crossover pipe which if I was already changing the entire system,
I would require. Any decent muffler shop could probably install one for you for a reasonable price after the fact. Most people that want a dual exhaust though want some extra sound
which I'd request something like a flowmaster be used to build the kit instead of those cheap universal oval case things they show in the pictures. If you want it quiet, have them build
it just like the pictures. I don't see the fun in that though. Might as well just have a Y pipe and fake duals made at the muffler shop if all you want it two tips.

·
Registered
1970 Eldorado.
4,023 Posts

·
Registered
1968 Coupe DeVille
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Kepich looks like a decent system and good deal. If you have deep pockets and live anywhere near winter salt or beach salt, get the S/S system.

It appears that the systems are roll-formed, not mandrel formed, so there will be some compression in turns and bends. With the apparent pipe sizes that makes no difference in efficiency.

If they build the systems from scratch you can specify anything you want.

Didn't Google it - where's Fair Hill ? I'm on Kent Island, just east of Annapolis.
Very north-east tip of the state, 5 minutes from PA and DE.
It does look like a good system, but there are some bad reviews floating around out there about Kepich. This makes me hesitant.

----------

That looks like it has potential, have not seen another kit anywhere. I noticed it does not come with a crossover pipe which if I was already changing the entire system,
I would require. Any decent muffler shop could probably install one for you for a reasonable price after the fact. Most people that want a dual exhaust though want some extra sound
which I'd request something like a flowmaster be used to build the kit instead of those cheap universal oval case things they show in the pictures. If you want it quiet, have them build
it just like the pictures. I don't see the fun in that though. Might as well just have a Y pipe and fake duals made at the muffler shop if all you want it two tips.
That's kinda where I'm at, I'd love true duals, but I'm really just looking for two functional tips. My issue will be when I put air ride on this car. Assuming the passenger side pipe has to run under that cross member, it's gonna hang pretty low. Low enough that it may scrape or put pressure on it when i air down. I've got a single bullet-style glass pack on it now, which tucks up nice and tight.

----------

That's another consideration: a simple dual-exit muffler. I don't know that I have the room in front of my tank like your Eldo does, though. I'll have to get under it and measure.

·
Registered
1970 Eldorado.
4,023 Posts
That's another consideration: a simple dual-exit muffler. I don't know that I have the room in front of my tank like your Eldo does, though. I'll have to get under it and measure.
You could go two single mufflers and a cross (H- or X-) connection in the front. I couldn't fit two single mufflers under there nor a cross-connection in the front. The advantage going this way is it is all modular.

·
Registered
1968 Coupe Deville, 87 Mustang, 00 Mustang
149 Posts
Here is a clip I took a while back of my 68 with true duals, 2.25 from manifolds to bumper, 2 chamber flowmaster 40s. Thats without a crossover pipe like I mentioned. I'm positive it would sound better with an H pipe. I wanted to put a crossover but many other projects higher on the list.

·
Registered
1968 Coupe DeVille
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, a guy from Kepich contacted me, and between talking with him and my air ride guy, I'm leaving the single exhaust on there for now. Chances are pretty good that at full compression, I'd be laying on the passenger side down tube where it passes under the crossmember.
Points to Kepich for being honest and not just pushing a sale. I think I will look into a dual exit muffler.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts