Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
,,,,,,,,I just changed out the oil (synthetic) and filter, checked the other fluids, did an antifreeze reading (good to -45 degrees) and pumped up the tyres to their suggested pressure. Now for the hard question:

How in Heck do I change the oil monitor reading from it's current reading, back to 100% Oil Life Left? When I hit the reset button on the controls to the left of the steering wheel, all I get are 3 "X"s instead of the correct 100%.

And while I'm at it, a subsequent question, please. With this car using approx a quart of oil every 1500 miles and the oil changes happening at roughly 4500 mile intervals, just how critical is the Oil Life Monitor reading anyway, when I'm constantly adding to the viscosity level with these intermittent "top-ups" of the good golden stuff?

Many thanks in advance for any and all consideration,,,,,

·
Super Moderator
86,087 Posts
When you press the reset button, hold it for about 5 seconds til it changes to 100%.

The OLM does not take into account the oil added between changes. Added oil simply replenishes some of the oil additives and adds a saftey factor to the OLM. The following is taken from "Northstar Oil Consumption" in the Technical Archives (top left of this page).

"The other nice thing about a little oil consumption is that it adds tremendous safety factor to the oil change interval. Nothing could be better for the engine than an occasional quart of fresh oil. You can take the worst oil on the market and add a fresh quart every 1000 miles and over the life of the engine the wear will be better than an engine run on the best oil with no adds between changes."

·
Registered
149 Posts
Just curious, What year and model caddie do you have?

Side note, there are no dumb questions here, just alot of helpful cadillac people.:wave:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
JoCan