Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
for the past 2months some thing is kiiling my batt iv changed the alternater two times and iv just put a new optima red cap , checked the wires, checked the fuse and ckecked the belt from the smog pump to the water pump nothing ther every thing looks fine but i can the only thint that i can tell is the when i put the new alternaterand star it it will be at 13 1/2 volts for a min ill run the car off and ill check it to see if its charging the 13 1/2 volts but it wont itll start at 11 1/2 volts from ther on it will kill all my lights but the enigine will be running strong well driving.if off and it will be dead PLEASE SOME ONE HELP ME OUT

·
Registered
2003 STS w/BoseNav, 1993 Deville, 1985 Deville
1,089 Posts
First off, it was difficult to read what you wrote (your communications skills need a bit of work - I mean that in a polite way), but I'll try to guess what you meant.

I assume you are trying to tell us that your battery's charge won't hold overnight and sometimes not even for a minute?

You might have an electrical load somewhere in the car that is not 'turning off' when you park it. You might try to start pulling fuses from the fuseblocks until you see the problem go away or diminish. That could be the cheapest way to isolate the circuit that is causing the problem. It could be the Electronic Leveling Pump is running all the time, etc.

Perhaps a faster way of doing this is to take it to a dealer or a reputable garage. They should be able to find out how much parasitic current is being drawn from the battery when the car is turned off. They do this with a simple measurement at the positive terminal of the battery. The manufacturer specifies a range of current drain for a given car with a given set of accessories. They'll be able to tell instantly if the drain is beyond specifications. If so, they should be able to trace the cause of the excessive battery drain.

Please let us know how this turns out.

·
Registered
2008 SRX-V8, 1991 Eldorado
1,543 Posts
Parasitic battery drains are difficult to diagnose without any tools. Your first most important tool is your brain, the second, a Factory Service Manual, the third, this forum.

You really need to get your hands on a factory service manual next.

·
Registered
13 Challenger RT, 11 CTS Coupe Premium, 94 Eldorado (RIP)
1,306 Posts
When the battery is charged good, do all your dome lights and accessories work fine? Check your glove department light and your trunk light escpecially. If they aren't working, you could have a short that is draining yoiur battery.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts