Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1978 Cadillac SDV (Commodore Blue Met.)
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, just looking for some insight here or anyone who may have experience with this, anyways, awhile back i switched out my stock single plane intake on my 78 sdv for the dual plane 472/500 version. As well as doing the open plenum mod to the intake i also decided to try out a 1" carb spacer when i put everything back together. I took pics n made some notes while dismantling everything beforehand and was able to get it all put back together without much trouble. One thing i hadnt accounted for however was the transmission kickdown switch and its mounting in relation to having added the 1" carb spacer n therefore raising the carb that much higher. So now with the linkage bracket installed in its original position atop the intake mani ive noticed that on the end of the bracket where the kickdown switch is located that before adding the spacer the switch had aligned parallel with a part that looks to me like it is part of/or completes the switch on the carburetor itself ??hope that makes sense to u?? But now when looking at it from driver side of engine bay they are not aligned as the carb sits 1" higher while the linkage bracket remains in its original position. My guess is that i need to raise the bracket an inch to where it will sit parallel to the carb the same way it had before. If im right about this, does anyone kno a good way of doing so? The bolts in which the linkage bracket mounts to from the intake i dont believe r long enough to add an inch spacer to. If anyone can make sense of what im talkin about, as im sure there was probly a much better way of describing the issue, im currently stumped and all my searching online has come up blank as for finding a solution, any help would be greatly appreciated. Im just worried about burning up my transmission or doin some other kind of damage to my car. Thank u all in advance and take care! no

·
Registered
95 FWB 81SDV 96 FWB 94 Fleetwood
1,564 Posts
You have a TH400 transmission , The kick down switch adjusted wrong or not working can not hurt the transmission.

·
Registered
1980 FBC
3,193 Posts
The switch has a centering pin that fits right into the middle of the throttle shaft.

The detent switch itself gets rotated clockwise when installing. Then the black arm just rests against the linkage, adding to the return spring's pulling of the throttle toward closed.

One bolt will allow spacing to match the new carbonator position but the stuff on the other end is not easy to manipulate.

And as the Dr. said the kickdown is not necessary. You can do the same thing by manually shifting.

·
Registered
1978 Cadillac SDV (Commodore Blue Met.)
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sweet! Thats all i needed to kno, thx guys!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts