Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1995 Concours
When inserted, Ignition key(s) don't start engine and I get a message about
theft deterrent and to wait 3 minutes. After the 3 minutes it will do the same thing again.
My remote starter starts the car fine.

:confused:
Thanks

Ed

·
Registered
99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55
3,516 Posts
Does the 95 still have the chip in the key? If so your Passkey wires in the column may have broken or the contacts in the ignition switch are worn so it is not reading the resistor chip corectly. Remote start systems need to bypass Passkey somehow so that is why your remote start works when the keys don't. If yours is not a chip key car its likely still a Passkey related problem, but maybe not the stupid little wires.

·
Registered
99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55
3,516 Posts
Then most likely your problem is the Passkey wires or ignition switch contacts. You can try cleaning the contacts and your key. Otherwise you need to go under the dash and find the Passkey wires going down the steering column. I believe its two small gauge white wires that run together in an orange sleeve going down the column to the big block connector at the base. You can do resistance checks to see if they are still good - should be an open circuit with the key out and measureable resistance with the key in. If there is no change your wires are broken or the contacts in the ignition switch are worn. If that is the case you have 2 choices: 1) R&R the column to replace the wires and/or ignition switch or 2) find the resistance of the key, get a resistor of the same value and splice it into the wires.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
The remote start likely has a resistor installed to "trick" the theft system into working without the key in the cylinder.

When manually starting the car with the key you are losing the signal to the theft module from the key.

Replace the ignition lock cylinder, have them match the pellet in the old key and cut you two new ones to the cut of the new lock cylinder.
Your old ignition keys won't work.
The wires are broken inside the steering column.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts