Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Lexus LS430, 1993 Deville
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1993 Deville that has been sitting in the garage for a few years. My question is since the battery has been disconected so long, is it possible that the RKE remotes will not work (on the computer end, not the fob's). Is the computers memory non-volitile, or will it need to be reprogrammed due to the fact that the battery has been disconected? Thanks

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
No, there shouldn't be an issue. If anything, they may need to be synced, which just involves holding both the lock and unlock buttons down for a few seconds.

I see you're from Boston, howdy neighbor.

·
Registered
1993 Coupe Deville, 2009 XLR-V 1 of 6 Crystal Red
2,484 Posts
On a 93, there has to be a jumper wire on a couple terminals of the ALDL, each remote push any button once and on board should syncronize. The reason I say should because that is the procedure, it does not mean the RKE unit in the car will work.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Dennis93coupe, that is the procedure. But it doesn't always work. I bought a new remote programmed it that same way and it worked once or twice and that would be it. Tracked it down to to anti theft / keyless entry module. Just saying it's a possibility.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Moistcabbage;

Howdy. If I have to I will re-sync when I hook up the new battery. Hopefully there won't be any problems. Thanks for the help.

Dennis93coupe;

If I am not mistaken, I thought it was pins 16 and 1 that have to be jumped on the ALDL, when programming new RKE remotes. I thought I saw that somewhere.

bobdt;

I will keep the anti-theft module in mind if I have any problems when programming the RKE. Hopefully when I hook up the new car battery they will work just as they did before I disconnected the old battery.

Thanks for the assistance guys. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
26,323 Posts
Disregard what I said about syncing the fob, I didn't pay attention to the year.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Dennis93coupe, that is the procedure. But it doesn't always work. I bought a new remote programmed it that same way and it worked once or twice and that would be it. Tracked it down to to anti theft / keyless entry module. Just saying it's a possibility.
Anti theft and keyless entry modules are seperate, which was it?

----------

If I am not mistaken, I thought it was pins 16 and 1 that have to be jumped on the ALDL, when programming new RKE remotes. I thought I saw that somewhere.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My original question was; if the car battery has been disconnected for a long time is it possible that the keyless entry module, or I guess the anti-theft module also have to be relearned, kind of like the car radios memory when you disconnect the battery. I can't say for certain that there is a problem, I have not bought a new car battery for it yet. I am in the process of putting it back on the road and I have to have it towed up to my local garage to have the turn signal lever fixed; I cannot hookup the battery until the short in the turn signal lever gets fixed; the car is inside a garage and there could be a fire risk.

----------

That's great. I will print that out. Thanks

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Nope battery disconnect will not affect the keyless entry or the ant theft. Yes the clock and stations memory in the radio and fuel data ie mpg trip etc.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok great. Thanks. I see you said that fuel data is affected by the battery being disconected. Would that just be something that would automaticlly be relearned after I drive it 50-100 miles?

·
Registered
26,323 Posts
Fuel data, as in average MPG. Disconnecting the battery has the same effect as resetting it manually. The display shows the average MPG since it was last reset. Nothing has to be "relearned".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts