Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 97 sts. the keyless entry transmitter only works if i am close to the car. i just replaced the batteries and still the same thing. how far away should these things be good for ? my 2000 gmc i can activate from 30 feet. thanks dave

·
Registered
39 Posts
keyless transmitter

I also have a 97 sts and I have the same problem.. Bought new batteries and still I have to sometimes hit the open button several times before it works. It frustrates me some also.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Re: keyless transmitter

If you want extra distance (and I kid you not, im dead serious), put the transmitter up to your chin...... Normally my remote only works from about 25 feet, but I can get maybe 200ft when on my chin.......!

·
Registered
520 Posts
I have a 92 Eldorado, but I doubt there's much difference in this. I think my manual says it works from about 15-20 feet. My Blazer works from about 40 but it's an after market system.

·
Registered
16,105 Posts

elwesso said:
If you want extra distance (and I kid you not, im dead serious), put the transmitter up to your chin...... Normally my remote only works from about 25 feet, but I can get maybe 200ft when on my chin.......!
You are absolutely correct! I didn't think anybody else knew about this. When my dad took delivery of the DTS he ordered in Feb, the dealer explained to hold the transmitter under your chin, with your other arm extended, therefore your body acts like a radio antenna and can actually extend the signal by many feet! Mind you, this may look pretty stupid in a parking lot while you are getting groceries! :D It might come in handy if you cannot find your car among others, and you can hear the honk if you re-lock the doors.

·
Registered
47 Posts

Cooked...

My '98 STS is the same way.

I can turn the alarm on & lock the doors from 25ft away, but I can't open her unless I'm within 6-8ft of the car...

Strange.

I'm going to try the chin method, silliness be damned! :bonkers:

·
Registered
6,471 Posts

You CAN add extra distance by installing a small "helper" antenna on the RKE module. I did it in a couple minutes and it works pretty good. You just make a loop out of some copper wire and attach it to the top of the RKE module with tape. The loop I made kind of resembles tha old UHF antenna that used to come with your TV.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
When I had a '91 Seville, it had a GM Goodwrench remote installed. The remote would work as far as 50-60 feet in a parking lot, but if I was in Manhatten, it wouldn't work if I was standing next to the car. I can imagine how the residents are getting cooked by microwaves over there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Katshot said:
You CAN add extra distance by installing a small "helper" antenna on the RKE module. I did it in a couple minutes and it works pretty good. You just make a loop out of some copper wire and attach it to the top of the RKE module with tape. The loop I made kind of resembles
tha old UHF antenna that used to come with your TV.

where is the rke module? thanks dave

·
Registered
16,105 Posts
El Dobro said:
When I had a '91 Seville, it had a GM Goodwrench remote installed. The remote would work as far as 50-60 feet in a parking lot, but if I was in Manhatten, it wouldn't work if I was standing next to the car. I can imagine how the residents are getting cooked by microwaves over there.
Not to mention all the microwaves being shot through our bodies from cell phone towers, cordless phones, satellite tv antennas, radio stations, amd microwave ovens!! One has to wonder what all the long-term effects of this technology will do to our bodies in the future. Did you hear about right after 911, when they shut down all flights for a day or two, the skies cleared, became more blue (lack of chem or com trails). I have heard of studies that test people before and during a blackout, and during a blackout, with no microwaves, etc. people felt more at peace, relaxed, and had lower blood pressure. Now you know why it is relaxing to go camping and get away from it all. :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
ShadowLvr400 said:
Let me just say, you are all lucky bastards. I have a range of about 8 feet... On a good day. Had times where 2-3 feet is more like it. Remote my a$$.
ROFL @ ShadowLvr . . .It's the exact same for me on my 99 STS, I get within a foot of the drivers door and it is so bad with no response from the Key Fob, that I actually start to get the Key out ready for use. Just when I start to do this the car responds, unlocking the door and its almost as if it saying to me “Hah Hah Bi*ch, thought you were going ta use that key huh”

You know, you all had me laughing here today, I thought, I was the only one who put the RKE to his Chin or temple to get the friggin’ thing to work…Now I don’t feel so bad…GAWSH, it’s nice to know I am not the only weird lookin’ fella walking to his expensive car gesturing as if he wants to shoot himself in the chin or temple! LOL

Thanks for the Smile guys!

DAMien

·
Registered
204 Posts

dkrj said:
where is the rke module? thanks dave
Are you asking, where is the rke receiver?

Not sure but for some reason I think I remember reading somewhere that its near the pass. rear wheel vicinity inside the trunk but don't quote me on this.

My '97 RKEs work as most of you describe. The furthest I can get from the STS is about 1 to 2 car widths.

I too will try the chin method, and the copper wire loop method too!

..rickko..

·
Registered
204 Posts

rickko said:
I too will try the chin method, and the copper wire loop method too!

..rickko..
I just tried it! Wow!!!!!!!! The under-the-chin-arm-out method works fantastic!

I was able to lock/unlock my car from 86 feet!!!!!! (I measured it!)

Thanks for that tip!

I'm going to try the copper loop method tomorrow..... how cool!

..rickko..

·
Registered
47 Posts
LOL!

You crazy bastadges...

The chin method works!

Holding the remote up to my chin, I can open the STS's doors from 75ft now, instead of the usual 6-8.

Unbelievable.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Katshot said:
What, you think your body only makes a good antenna for radios and TV's? ;)
The chin method is great i used to use it all the time till i bought a car with out a keyless entry and i don't know if i can get one for it without installing a mess of stuff

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ralph said:
If you mean "bastards", then yes you are correct! :D
Hey Ralph . . .Speak fer yer self dude, I'm a 'Hoe', I get paid DAWG!
LOL

DAMien

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
12 Participants
bob2231