Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
CTS 2003
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so yesterday when I got back into my car from shopping, I cranked the engine, it started and then immediately turned off, the car was still in park, the key is stuck in the ignition, I cant pull it out, Ive tried wiggling it and still it doesnt help, it feels locked in the ignition, I tried to crank it hundreds of times and it seems as if it has no power connected to the ignition. I checked the battery, AAA came out to tow me home, they disabled the battery because the car was still on. The only messages it says is, service theft system & service idle.

Does anyone know what I should do?

·
Registered
Cadillac
6 Posts
well, hate to say this....when my '03 did that, the ECU fried, it just happened at a gas station without warning....$1000 later she was back and running.

the ignition cylinder needs a signal from the ecu to release the key, from what I read it's not uncommon in '03's.

good luck
jon

·
Registered
04 CTS SPORT/LUX W/NAVI LIGHT PLATINUM ON BLACK- COOL MODS!
1,313 Posts
If you are completley unable to get the key out, the culprit is most likely a bad ECU. Luckily, this part is covered under the Federal Emissions Warranty. This means that if your car is less than 8 years old and has fewer than 80,000 miles, the dealer will replace it for free. I had this done for my car well after the OEM warranty expired.

If you are no longer covered under the Federal Emissions warranty the part costs almost $600 and labor would probably be another $150 or so.

Good luck.

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts
I had a similar issue.
Dealer re-set the alarm, and then added some sort of filter harness to it. No issues now.

·
Registered
CTS 2003
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so I took it into a mechanic and he by passed the Anti Theft system... it still says service anti theft system. I just spent $130.... im sure if I would have looked harder in the forum I couldve did it myself. Now im not sure if I should just surrender and take it into cadillac or wait and see if it does it again.. now when I picked it up from the mechanic the TC light is on and running sluggish. I posted a new thread on this.

·
Registered
CTS 2003
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh and to reply to the questions on this thread... I have 91,000 miles so am extremely passed the 80,000 warranty... and the battery is a new battery I bought 3 months ago.

I want to blow this car up!!! it is costing me alot of money for these retarded repairs.

·
Registered
03 cts 05 deville
2 Posts
ok, so yesterday when I got back into my car from shopping, I cranked the engine, it started and then immediately turned off, the car was still in park, the key is stuck in the ignition, I cant pull it out, Ive tried wiggling it and still it doesnt help, it feels locked in the ignition, I tried to crank it hundreds of times and it seems as if it has no power connected to the ignition. I checked the battery, AAA came out to tow me home, they disabled the battery because the car was still on. The only messages it says is, service theft system & service idle.

Does anyone know what I should do?

Take the plastic housing off the bottom half of the steering column. Just under the ignition switch (close to the key) you'll see a small pin. Pull it and you'll key will release.

DallasGoldBug at gmail dot com

·
Registered
03 cts 05 deville
2 Posts
How old is your battery? If it's 4 years or older, I'd suspect that first.
Yes and no. They car has a low battery safety system that wont let it turn over if the battery gets low. The theft security lights may also light up on the dash which makes some people think its the security system that's bad. But its not its just a low battery.

As for the key stuck in the ignition. Remove the plastic housing from the bottom half of the column so you can see the where the key is in the ignition switch. Under the switch there is a small pin. pull the pin and the key will release.

A guy owed me money on a 03 i a pink slip loan. He defaulted so since I had title, I got new key and went and did repo. Knowing he had set of keys, I set the car out and pulled a certain wire under the hood (which one will remain secret) so the battery allowed the locks to work. in the middle of the night he tried to take the car but when he went to start it, it wouldn't turn over. Then he freaked out because the key got trapped. hehehehehe I so sneaky. Called cops and that's all she wrote.

you can send your $$$ that I just saved you to
Dallasgoldbug at gmail dot com :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts