Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2013 XTS
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get another key for my car. If I buy one on ebay and have it cut will the computer recognize the new key or does it need to be programmed prior to trying to use it ? I know on newer cars if the transponder is blank it will program when you put it in the ignition the first time. I have a 2000 STS.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,119 Posts
It has to be programmed. The procedure is in your owners manual.

·
Registered
98 Deville, '15 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium, '12 Ford Escape
3,294 Posts
take it to a real lock smith to have it cut. I bought two on ebay for cheap, had one cut at my local ace hardware which at least has the wheel grinder. the new key is slightly off so i have to put it in and then pull back a tiny bit for it to turn. Programming is easy though. I use the copied one as a spare. Haven't had the 2nd one I bought cut yet.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,119 Posts
There is no chip (resistor) in the newer keys. It takes a little more than just inserting the key. I think you still need one original key in order to code a new spare.

·
Registered
2000 Polo Green Metallic Cadillac STS 60K
787 Posts
You can order those Ebay keys, just make sure you order a good set from a good seller (check feedback). I ordered a set of Caddy keys off Ebay, took them to my local hardware store to have them cut, and did the simple programming steps required to program the keys. I believe the process is simple as putting your original key in the ignition and turning it to the ON position for 15-30secs, remove that key and insert a new key within 3 secs and turn it to the ON position for 15-30secs. Programming complete.

·
Registered
not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350
7,700 Posts
i went to a lock smith got a new key cut from them for 24 dollars after tax 2000 SLS
but they did not have ot come to the car to program it i asked why he siad its a clone
what does he mean
how come they did not have to come to the car to program the key im at a lose here it worked fine but confused why did they not program it and it worked

1 - 8 of 8 Posts