Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Daughters ATS came with only one key fob. Where can I find one and how hard is it to program? I hear it's easy. See pic...

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 Luxury ATS 2.0T Manual
837 Posts
The programming is easy. There's a procedure you do with putting the new key in the slot inside the arm rest and then I think you do the other key, too, so that they're all on the same code. I have seen the procedure in the owners manual. Most of the keys I see on eBay and Amazon, although cheap, usually don't have the Cadillac emblem on them and either don't have the slide-out key or have an incompatible one. There's a site called carandtruckremotes.com that sells OEM keys and the ATS ones are around $90 there. I don't know if they can cut the insert for you with your VIN or not, though.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
10,033 Posts
Ebay. I sold two of those exact fobs a few months ago there, and they went cheap. They are shared with other Cadillac models.

·
Registered
2017 ATS 3.6 AWD Premium Luxury Coupe
26 Posts
My Daughters ATS came with only one key fob. Where can I find one and how hard is it to program? I hear it's easy. See pic...

what year ATS? just curious

Im assuming going to Cadillac wouldn't work for some reason right?

·
Registered
2017 ATS Coupe 2.0T Luxury, formerly 2011 CTS Coupe Performance
99 Posts
Cadillac will charge an arm and a leg for them.

I believe in that era, cars came with one fob with a hidden key and one without (my CTS did). The one without the key will lack the emergency entry ability, but getting the key cut can only be done at the dealer and is fairly spendy (~$50) for a key cut.

They are easy to program as set forth in the manual, as Sergio describes.

·
Registered
2017 ATS 3.6 AWD Premium Luxury Coupe
26 Posts
Cadillac will charge an arm and a leg for them.

I believe in that era, cars came with one fob with a hidden key and one without (my CTS did). The one without the key will lack the emergency entry ability, but getting the key cut can only be done at the dealer and is fairly spendy (~$50) for a key cut.

They are easy to program as set forth in the manual, as Sergio describes.
good to know thats an option though. Expensive, IM SURE lol

·
Registered
2013 3.6 RWD Premium - 2006 BMW Z4M
1,547 Posts
I bought this one 9/7/2018 - AMAZON ATS KEY

Now $35, programmed it myself (give credit for Cadillac making this a DIY problem). Works great, only issue is the "panic" button is a little sensitive, not a major problem but occasionally goes off on accident. One of my original keys got wet so I could use the cut key, just moved it over. Without the existing cut key you have to decide if you have to have it or not. Key fob doesn't have the Cadillac emblem on it but I don't care, pulled it off the old key with the thought of adding it to the new one but never glued it on.

·
Cadillac Owners Troll
2019 CT6 Sport 3.0TT,2015 Luxury ATS , 2016 ELR, and Volt
2,380 Posts
I lost one of mine so ordered a aftermarket one on ebay. It does lack the crest but so what. Although programming an extra fob is easy, it will most likely show up as key #3 which means it won't recall any seat and mirror memories. I had to delete the original fobs and then reprogram the 2 remaining ones. This is more complicated and you have to follow the directions to the letter, but once done, everything is back to normal.

·
Registered
Cadillac
6 Posts
I had to get a fob for a 2006 XLR in California. Did not even have an original fob. The cost was under $300.00 at a dealer. So probably not too much just to program one for you at a dealer.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had to get a fob for a 2006 XLR in California. Did not even have an original fob. The cost was under $300.00 at a dealer. So probably not too much just to program one for you at a dealer.
From what I'm reading, it's very easy to program these. I won't need the dealer for this simple job.

·
Registered
2013 3.6 RWD Premium - 2006 BMW Z4M
1,547 Posts
From what I'm reading, it's very easy to program these. I won't need the dealer for this simple job.
Could DIY in the amount of time it takes to drive to the dealer and back. This not counting the hassles in scheduling an appointment and either waiting for them to do it or going back later to get the car. Then there would be a charge (as their should be).

I did mine and it isn't that difficult, also lots of instructions available from different sites, mostly from companies selling keys. It's also on here somewhere but I deleted my saved link after I replaced my key.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2016 Corvette Z06, 2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel
2,817 Posts
Very easy to program, particularly if you already have one and the instructions are in the owner's manual. The only reason for going to the dealer is if you want to erase the missing fob to avoid a previous owner stealing the car because I don't believe that program option is available through the built in system.

Rodger

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
10,033 Posts
As I've posted in other threads, you don't need a dealer scanner to delete (or pair new) fobs. A good Snap On, Autel, etc can pair, renumber, and delete fobs. Just FYI if you know someone at an independent shop (or if you have your own good scanner).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As I've posted in other threads, you don't need a dealer scanner to delete (or pair new) fobs. A good Snap On, Autel, etc can pair, renumber, and delete fobs. Just FYI if you know someone at an independent shop (or if you have your own good scanner).
Do you mean an OBD2 scanner?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts