Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
SRX Performance
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched and read everything. Haven't tried the chin trick yet. I've taken my car (a 2012 Performance SRX) to the dealership twice over this and had no luck. Seems like the distance is getting shorter too. I used to be able to start my car from inside a store like Walmart or Lowes from well over 150 feet away, I didn't have to hold the fob funny, or even been able to see my car. Now I'm lucky if I can unlock or start it from 15 feet away, usually it's 10, sometimes less. For me to start my car from my house I have to open the storm door and stick my hand out to start it. Yes I've replaced the batteries and I even got a brand new fob (under warranty) and yet I'm still having this problem.

Any ideas? Can they reprogram the car to a new frequency or something?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2010 SRX Luxury
248 Posts
The remote start range is very short and poor. I say it works about 8 parking spots away and that's it. This was by far one of the biggest bummers for me when i got my srx.

·
Registered
2013 Cadillac SRX Performance AWD
70 Posts
Solution: OnStar remote start lol...it costs $$$ but you can start your car half way around the world :crybaby:

·
Registered
2015 SRX
31 Posts
Put a meter on the new battery. I bet it's low. I check every "new" battery I buy and a lot of them are already below the stated voltage.

·
Registered
'14 SRX4 Perf., Crystal Red Shale/Brownstone, DAP, spare
758 Posts
Put a meter on the new battery. I bet it's low. I check every "new" battery I buy and a lot of them are already below the stated voltage.
Agree. A few years ago with a different vehicle the fob battery was getting weak so I bought a 2-pack to replace the batteries in both fobs. Both 'new' batteries were dead out of the package. It could have been very old stock or possibly 'knock-off' batteries that are becoming more and more prevalent in the marketplace.

·
Registered
2014 SRX Premium
55 Posts
I find the remote on my 2014 works over quite a distance, similar to the OP's initial experience. My last vehicle (2009 Equinox) you had to be within 20 feet for it to work - I'd pretty much have to go outside and up to the vehicle to get the remote starter to work. I tried changing batteries several times, and had exactly the same experience on both remotes....I wonder if there is some other "tuning" that can be done.

·
Registered
14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Son of a Gun Grey Metallic
3,074 Posts
My ATS remote works at a much greater distance then either my '10 or '13 SRX's did/do. Almost double sometimes.
Might be where the antenna is located in the vehicle?

·
Registered
SRX Performance
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Still having this's issue. Anyone else? It's not the battery, it's not the fob, it's not brand new faulty batteries. Tomorrow will be the fourth day my car is at the dealership, and the third or fourth trip about this issue. I've even drove around town with the car beeping at me saying there isn't a remote when obviously there is because that's how I got in the car and started it!

----------

Also, to note, when I first got my car, for about the first year, I could start my car with the remote from inside stores, like Lowes and Walmart 100+ feet away.

·
Registered
2012 SRX Performance AWD, 2018 XT5 Luxury AWD
43 Posts
I posted the below yesterday in another post and deserves a repeat in this thread:
I’m in total agreement with this problem. Let me preface with this statement: I love my SRX and my dealership and it’s service department, BUT, technology is not without its bugs and being a tech nerd I understand this. I too am having the same issue with my 2012 Performance. The last time my vehicle was in for scheduled maintenance I addressed this remote problem, stating that I sometimes have to get 5 ft. from the car to initiate the remote start, open the rear hatch etc. Some times when I am at the drivers door I have to touch the handle a few times before it will unlock, this also sometimes happens when I push the button on the rear hatch. The dealer replaced both fob batteries and stated that this was the problem. NOT. I am still experiencing the same issue and am in total belief that the receiving/transmitting unit in the vehicle is the culprit. CADILLAC, there is an issue and I believe many are just living with it. Being a former Cadillac purchasing agent with the Old GM I am convinced there is a problem in this area.

·
Registered
2014 SRX Premium
250 Posts
I've searched and read everything. Haven't tried the chin trick yet. I've taken my car (a 2012 Performance SRX) to the dealership twice over this and had no luck. Seems like the distance is getting shorter too. I used to be able to start my car from inside a store like Walmart or Lowes from well over 150 feet away
Mine (2014 SRX) starts/unlocks from approximately 100 meters - in case of direct line of sight. With the cars in between it may be shorter. I think this is typical distance for most of the remote-start systems with fresh batteries.

If we think about what may go wrong...since you have tried brand new fob and the result is the same it would be logical to assume that the problem is either in the car or in a source of radio noise that is usually with you - like your cellphone. Unlikely, but possible.

If it is under warranty, why don't you make it the dealer's problem? Two similar cars, one unlocks from 100m, another one unlocks only from 5m, to me this is the reason to make the demand to fix it under warranty. Most likely if they change the module inside the car it will fix the problem.

·
Registered
2012 SRX Luxury
287 Posts
Remote keyfob issues and the TPMS (Tire monitoring system) both work together and are received by the amplifier/receiver module that is piggybacked onto the control module. The receiver module needs to be replaced. That's the reason for the short distance operation.

Steve BTDT

1 - 12 of 12 Posts