Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2016 ATS Coupe 2.0T RWD Lux Black/Black
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K., this may sound like a weird question, but has anyone read, heard, or experienced that keeping your CTS keyless ignition key fob near a computer could drain the key fob's battery?

The reason I asked is that when I purchased my previous car, an '06 Lexus, the owner's manual said that keeping your key fob within 3 feet of a personal computer could cause battery life to deteriorate rapidly. No explanation for this was given. So while I had that car, I religiously removed my key fob from my pocket and set it a distance away whenever I was working (or playing) on a computer. (Not sure if it really made a difference, but I did have to replace the battery only once in the 5 years I owned the car, and that was after 3-4 years of use.) Anyway, I see nothing like this in the CTS manual, so I have just been keeping my key fob in my pocket. Maybe this is a Lexus-only issue, or maybe the technology has just advanced that much in 5 years that it's no longer an issue at all. Or maybe I'm living very dangerously! Thoughts?

·
Registered
08 CTS4 DI Hot Lava Edition PDZ AWD FE2
402 Posts
I found this passage on a toyota prius forum -

Exposure to RF as above can cause the fob to respond spuriously, using the battery in the fob. This can cause premature failure of the fob battery if it is done on a regular basis, as in having your fob and cell phone in the same pocket.

Never thought about this before. Don't know if it has any merit or not. Maybe if your computer is sending out a wifi signal or something but I would think that would interfere more than 3 feet away.

·
Registered
2016 ATS Coupe 2.0T RWD Lux Black/Black
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses on this! Sounds like there's nothing to worry about.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts