Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright.. so here's something I'm encountering, and I'm pretty new to detailing and cleaning so bear with me.

So I just polished and waxed the car, and now pollen, dust, dirt.. that stuff kinda sticks. It's a total PAIN IN THE ASS. :mad:

Anything I can do to make it so these little particules don't stick to my car?

Also, anyone got any good tricks they use personally when detailing, inside or out? Here's the only one I got: detailing tips at autopia

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Basically, the wax is extra thick and sticky right after you apply it, so the best way is to wash it once...... You could also look into getting one of those dusters...... There is something about them in the detailing section, and id be interested to see how well they work!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I would definately suggest a california car duster, they make the quick wipe much much easier. I would also carry a quick detail spray and towel in case of bird bombs.

I am not an expert on detailing, just a fanatic, but i would think one possible reason that the dust, dirt, etc were sticking to the car could be due to the fact that the wax hasnt cured yet. Other possible reasons could include "old" wax? I am not positive but i believe that most waxes have a "shelf life."

I would be curious to hear what type of polish and wax you used, if you would be willing to share?

·
Registered
103 Posts
After all the rubbing you do when waxing static elect. seems to attract dust. Just wash it and it will be less of a dust magnet.
The Calif. car duster is great. It should come as standard equip. w/black cars.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Absolutely. Kempie, I'll have to pick up a duster. The pollen my car collects just irks the hell out of me.

Behemoth, here's what I did. I washed the car with Dawn, twice. Went over everything to make sure there was no dirt. Then used Zaino Z5+ZFX, and then Zaino Z2+ZFX. After buffing, I finished everything by sealing it with Meguire's Cleaning Paste wax. Put on one coat of that. Afterwords, I let it dry (it was about 10pm at this point) and was all done.

Now as I said.. I'm new to detailing. I'm starting to wonder if the Zaino is all I needed, and the wax was just dumb. Or... maybe Zaino's too much, I need to start with something less complicated. I just want a good looking car, you know? :)

Thanks for the help, guys!

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
You know, I have found that a simple wash with dawn, and then some of that colored turtle wax <you can get at autozone, its called colorcure or something like that>, it gives pretty good results (not the best ive had, but good enough, it still shines like a red mirror), and it lasts a long time..... It hides scratches wonerfully... And it comes with the "chipstik" to fill in bigger scratches...... Definitely worth the 7.50!!! And the entire process only took me about 45mins..... Including a break!!! :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I also use turtle wax color match wax but i put a coat of Meguirres gold on top. I think it does a fantastic job.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have to say that i am not familiar with Zaino, alhtough i have heard good things about it. Your process sounds solid, in fact very much like my own with AIO, SG, Plaste Glaz (or Soveran). I havent heard of Zaino attracting dust per se, however i have heard (and seen first hand) that Blackfire does attract dust. (Apparently there was a flaw in the chemical compound a few months back and some "bad" stock got released, but its been corrected as of late).

I would suggest getting a getting a cali car duster, wiping down the car, and then going over it with a quick detail spray (Cystal mist, or Quik Detail) and then see if you notice as much dust.

ps. i know u can wax over sg, or zaino, but u can not wax over blackfire, so i dont think the problem lies in the process.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Right on. Sounds like I probably did things right, then.
I know at least that when I was done, the car looked orders of magnitude better than when I got it.

Zaino came with a detail spray so I'll check that out and see what the effects are.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The Zaino application sounds right on. You dont need to use the ZFX on the last application of the day. The ZFX allowes you to skip the Z1 and do multiple applications instead of waiting 24 hrs. between applications.
I have not put anything (wax) over the Zaino as it(wax) doesnt last near as long and to my eyes nothing is needed.
You will have to wait for the wax to wear off or dawn wash it again to remove it before applying more Zaino or useing the Zaino spray.
You can put wax over Zaino but you cant put Zaino over wax.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I just read on another forum, www.autopia.org that "topping" Zaino w/wax will lessen the life of the Zaino. The silicones & oils in wax will eventually "eat" through the Z and break the bond that holds it to the car.
Just thought I'd pass it on...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
5 Participants
kempie