Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
'05 CTS-V
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find myself at a decision point, hoping for input from those of you that have owned multiple generations of Vs.

I have a 2005 CTS-V, bought it 3 years ago with 13k on it. It now has 57k. I bought it with a Maggie on it, with an 8lb pulley. Discussions with Magnuson reps have led me to believe it's roughly 560hp at the crank due to the pulley. Love the car but a 2 Gen Coupe, manual is a car that turns my head.

Things I don't like about the '05 or will need in the future

-The paint job. It has a crazy circa 2005 custom paint job that basically makes me look like a drug dealer. I've both plasti dipped and wrapped the car. If I keep it, I'll want to repaint it. It was originally Stealth Gray and the jambs are intact. I'm estimating a respray in stock color with me disassembling and assembling would be roughly $5k

-LS7 Clutch. Stock clutch is doing great, but eventually it'll need one Those are what? $1k?

-The whole avionics(sorry, aviator here)/radio/15 years old and dated at the time of manufacture center stack. I'd want to retain the DIC...and I've seen the standalone DIC swap with radio swap, and the removal of the ash tray with radio still in place mods. I'm not an audio installer, though the only thing that gives me pause about it is manufacturing or modding the bezel

-Lack of backup camera. could be fixed with $400 of camera plus different Gentex rear view or if there's a viable flatscreen swap for the radio, could be included in that.

-Rest of the interior is good, I don't launch it from a stop so the stock rear is hanging in there. I have new headlight modules for it and I recently sourced a full set of spare wheels. The car was undercoated at birth (sold in WI new) so everything is pretty pristine in there. I did brake pads all around last summer.

So I figure it's somewhere between $7-10k to get it where I'd really want it. Book or selling price right now is about 10, plus a bit for the Maggie.

Second Option is to go find and buy a 2nd Gen manual coupe, with like miles. Looks like $40k or so assuming I can find one. 4 doors are less but I'm out of car seats now so the Batmobile is looking attractive to me. Cost of this venture would be $30K with trade or private sale of the '05.

I've never driven a 2nd Gen. I love that the '05 is like a go cart with a Saturn V strapped to it. Fastest car I've ever owned and I've had a few fast muscle cars in my time. My girlfriend's Challenger R/T with a manual feels like a tugboat compared to it.

So I'm looking for advice....I know there's plenty of folks in this forum that have owned them all, or that have found themselves in my shoes, or both. Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
That's amazing you found an 11 year old v with 14k miles. Me, I'd put less into the car, wrap/dip it and keep it.

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
7,852 Posts
I'm a devoted V1 owner and have no intentions to change that. However, I think the consensus from everyone I've seen go from V1 to V2 on this forum or other forums is that the V2 is a better car in every way. If they were closer in price I think it would be a no-brainer to go to a V2, but as your post highlights, there's a big difference in pricing.

·
Registered
17 xt5 & Blk 05 cts-v
2,465 Posts
I'm a devoted V1 owner and have no intentions to change that. However, I think the consensus from everyone I've seen go from V1 to V2 on this forum or other forums is that the V2 is a better car in every way. If they were closer in price I think it would be a no-brainer to go to a V2, but as your post highlights, there's a big difference in pricing.
I wouldn't say it's better in every way lol. v1 is arguably a better drivers car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts