Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac Escalade ESV
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ive had this issue where ive lost the front passenger side center cap 2x on my 7 spoke wheels. I always thought they were stolen but today i confirmed that was not the case.

I upgraded my 7 spokes to 14 spoke platinums today and when i got home, the cap was gone. From the same location of wheel. No pot holes, bumps or anything out of the ordinary. 7min drive from Discount Tire to my house. Went straight home from the store. The cap was on as i did a walk around and tapped the center of each cap just as a precautionary measure..

Anyone ever experience this? Luckily Discount Tire is going to help me out and get me a replacement.

·
Registered
2015 Escalade and 2018 CTS-V
320 Posts
Make sure you're buying the correct diameter cap. they're not all the same.

·
Registered
2007 Escalade
171 Posts
After driving for a bit, check to see if the wheel is hot (be careful, they can get very hot. I touched the wheel out by the tire and I couldn't leave it on there for more than a second).

I had an issue where the front driver's side caliper was sticking and the pads dragging on the discs had heated up the wheel so much that the center cap friction tabs deformed and would not hold the cap on. I actually watched as my new cap fell out of the wheel while driving and hit another car. Thankfully, I was just pulling away from a stop light and the other car was parked. The last was very nice about it as she handed it back to me.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Mark

----------

I dunno why I can't edit my post.

The last sentence should read: The lady was very nice about it...

Sorry.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't checked if the wheel is getting hot but I did take off one of the other caps off the wheels and they were not on tight, popped off quite easily. I was able to push them in a bit more (other 2) with my bare hand. They seamed loose fitting.

I got one of my original caps and compared the ring inside. The aftermarket caps are cheap round rings where as the factory ones are bent to go into the 6 tabs. So I took off one of the factory rings and put it on one of the aftermarket caps (front pass). When I put it on the wheel, much tighter fit yet still pressed in by hand. I went on to install my OEM cap from my 7-spokes onto the front passenger (didn't want to drive with no cap). It fit nice and tight. I was able to secure it by hand. I drove it like that for about 50miles today and yep..still on there pretty tight. The caps I have (oem and aftermarket) measure 8" across the face. I'm gonna swap out rings on the other 2 for now until I order some new caps (my oems are faded).

I'll try to get some pics posted in the AM.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually, ive got a ring comparison photo.
Left (aftermarket OE Performance)
Right (OEM P/N 9597355, 9598295, 9598677)

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you lining up the cap with the valve stem per the back of the center cap?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
On the original 7 spokes, yes. On the aftermarkets no as the caps dont have the valve stem on the backside.

----------

Is it possible just to purchase the ring on the right from somewhere?
i haven't had a chance to look but im gonna need some too. Maybe dealer.

·
Registered
2010 ESV Platinum WDT
189 Posts
Quick fix - 2 Dab's of clear silicone on the cap 180 degrees from each other does the trick. One at the pry spot, other directly across. Aftermarket caps are the worst. I've had them physically squeek from not being tight enough when pressed in. Also cured by the dab of silicone. Still can take them off quite easy. come off easy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts