Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i like my 98 Deville but the constant thought that if the headgasket goes out the car will be almost worthless. What is a clean 98 Deville worth with a bad engine? The constant "black cloud" headgasket Curse of the northstar engine is on everones mind that ownes one out of warranty. My Fleetwood had a bigger engine and got better gas mileage. There is one thing I never worried about with it was a headgasket blowing. The Fleetwood did not bottom out, it has more ground clearance, larger seats, chrome bumpers and rear wheel drive, wider center arm rest, rear vanity mirrors, sunglasses compartment, lights to show taillights are working. The Deville dash display is not as good as a 96 Fleetwood, hard to see A/C controls because of steering wheel. I could work on the FW 5.7 if I had to, the Northstar I can not fix much on, I sure can not fix a N bad headgasket. The northstar engine would cost twice as much to fix as a 5.7 and still be a northstar with no real secure feeling about the engine. The Deville does hug the road better. Is it true that N engine cylinders can not be bored and no oversize crank bearings available? And why in the heck did they put cassette radios in 1998 cars? They must of had to unload them. I hope to make the right decision before the HGs blow. TexasCadillac:bigroll:

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,996 Posts
i like my 98 Deville but the constant thought that if the headgasket goes out the car will be almost worthless. What is a clean 98 Deville worth with a bad engine? The constant "black cloud" headgasket Curse of the northstar engine is on everones mind that ownes one out of warranty. My Fleetwood had a bigger engine and got better gas mileage. There is one thing I never worried about with it was a headgasket blowing. The Fleetwood did not bottom out, it has more ground clearance, larger seats, chrome bumpers and rear wheel drive, wider center arm rest, rear vanity mirrors, sunglasses compartment, lights to show taillights are working. The Deville dash display is not as good as a 96 Fleetwood, hard to see A/C controls because of steering wheel. I could work on the FW 5.7 if I had to, the Northstar I can not fix much on, I sure can not fix a N bad headgasket. The northstar engine would cost twice as much to fix as a 5.7 and still be a northstar with no real secure feeling about the engine. The Deville does hug the road better. Is it true that N engine cylinders can not be bored and no oversize crank bearings available? And why in the heck did they put cassette radios in 1998 cars? They must of had to unload them. I hope to make the right decision before the HGs blow. TexasCadillac:bigroll:
Only those who read about it everyday. You have a bad case of internetitis. When my '97 gave me a LOW COOLANT warning my heart sank. Thought sure is was a head gasket. Turned out to be a crack in the purge line nipple on the surge tank. I fixed it and sold it to a neighbor at 107K 2 years ago and it is still going strong.

·
Registered
1996 Deville (sold), 2000 Mustang GT
1,300 Posts
I am somewhat biased towards the fleetwood. A rear wheel drive caddy can be alot of fun, not to mention there is actually an aftermarket for the lt-1 unlike the N*. Yea definetly not a good feeling waiting for the other shoe to drop, and a clean deville with a bad hg is worth 1500-2000 tops.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
I vote Fleetwood, simply the most reliable modern Cadillac ever made, whether it be the TBI 350 or PFI 350. But it sounds like you've already made up your mind.

·
Auto Enthusiast
1992 Eldorado Touring
3,688 Posts
1996 Fleetwood, :thumbsup: Although mine is not a daily driver anymore.... but the white one I sold has become the daily driver of a Caddy enthusiast in California:

I sold my white 1996 Fleetwood with every option including CD player & moonroof for $7800 last month. It only had 60K orignal miles.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That Fleetwood is what I wanted and with a sunroof too. I would have bought it. TexasCadillac
1996 Fleetwood, :thumbsup: Although mine is not a daily driver anymore.... but the white one I sold has become the daily driver of a Caddy enthusiast in California:

I sold my white 1996 Fleetwood with every option including CD player & moonroof for $7800 last month. It only had 60K orignal miles.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
You have posted repeatedly about your headgasket concerns despite the fact that your car has been nothing but exemplary since you bought it a month or two ago. I do not think there is anything we can say that is going to change your (mis)perceptions about the Northstar. I have always been big on getting the awareness out there of the *POTENTIAL* problems some may have with the N* if it is not maintained properly, but most of them will run to 200k or more.

Is the headgasket issue ridiculous? Yes. Is it bigger than it should ever have been allowed to get? Absolutely. Does it make an otherwise world-class engine worthless? No, it does not, it is merely something to be aware of when considering a Northstar powered vehicle.

I personally dont like the "turtle" Fleetwoods and have always been into the "box" generation that went through 1992. To me the 97-99 Deville is a little sportier, and more "executive express" looking than the fleetwood. I am a Northstar caddy guy at heart, even with their potential problems though.

As Chad said, it sounds youve already made up your mind... but do not fault a car that has done nothing wrong.

·
Registered
97 Deville
93 Posts
Well Fleetwood's are nice cars but i will never take over the Deville i would have it as a secondary car but not as my primary. Look if you properly maintain your Deville you should have no worry yeah you might have part that go out because they are not exactly new cars. I have own 2 deville so far my first was an 89 with a 4.5 engine and that was a beast i owned it for 4 years when i bought it has 100K and i sold it 2 years ago with 144K i only replace a few things on the 89 simple things Radiator had a crack, serpentine belt, water pump, tires, other than that it was regular oil changes, spark plugs and coolant. When i sold my 89 i bought a 97 Deville which has also been great i bought with 80k 2 years ago and so far nothing major i had the same problem that Ranger had my surge tank was leaking and i got the low coolant level light and i freaked a little but i replace the tank no problems ever since. Other than that Mobile 1 oil changes,New tires at 86K Tranny Flush at 88K, Coolant Flushed at 92K, New brakes at 94K, and i'm currently at 98,205 miles and this car is my daily driver with no problems so you need to stop being paranoid about HG's and just take care of the car and it will take care of you on the road.

·
Auto Enthusiast
1992 Eldorado Touring
3,688 Posts
... but do not fault a car that has done nothing wrong.
So explain why you chose Chad's quote for your signature???

I have had both at the same time, it was a 1999 Concours with every option. Beautiful car and loved all the electronic gizmos.. but it just didn't have the elegance and feel of the true Cadillac line. My brother had 2000 STS, 2003 DTS, and 2002 SLS... now he is driving a 1994 LT1 Roadmaster ;) Why? He hasn't spent a penny in maintenance on the Roadmaster whereas he spent $8,000 in maintenance in the 2 years he had his DTS.

·
Auto Enthusiast
1992 Eldorado Touring
3,688 Posts
Hmmmmm...right.... ;)

·
Registered
34,087 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
i have a 98 deville..bought it with 60k a yr ago...i run a courier business and have put 28k on it the last yr...with exception to the gas mileage this car is a rock...i have maintained it to the best of my abilities..checked fluids regurlarly and i got to say the engine is tougher then a bag of hammers

·
Registered
1993 CDV 102k
982 Posts
I dont get it. Whats so tough about a bag of hammers. Are they magical hammers?

Go with the fleetwood. Its not likely that the hg's will go bad for you but it sounds like you would enjoy the fleetwood more. I would do it because the fw is cooler, bigger, retains its value more, and cheaper to maintain.

·
Registered
Cadillac
4 Posts
Go with the Fleetwood!.

I have a '95 DeVille (not N*) and my Dad has a '95 Fleetwood. The rear-drive, 350 cid is quicker and better-handling. Plus the Fleetwood just looks classier and will be a car worth preserving through the years.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Go with the fleetwood. Its not likely that the hg's will go bad for you .....
But lets say the H/G on a Fleetwood RWD did go out (I still haven't seen an LT1 with a H/G issue). There is access to do it yourself, there would be no need for timeserts. It would a couple hundred dollar ordeal unless there was other damage caused.

·
Auto Enthusiast
1992 Eldorado Touring
3,688 Posts

·
Registered
1993 SedanDeville (RIP), 2006 CTS (current)
3,338 Posts

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
How about this instead?

Now instead of running through a Bosnian minefield, you're singing and dancing through a Bosnian minefield.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts