Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
NONE
3,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone, I'm finally getting around to installing the Kars III kit I got from Lollygagger and I had a quick question about the cradle spacers. I currently have the GM TSB bushings, should I be taking those out and just using the cradle spacers from the kit or should I use them together?

Also, did we ever get a definitive answer from any of the Kars III makers/installers as to how the bushings should be installed between the pinion support and cradle brace?

Like this?:

or like this?:

Thanks!

·
Registered
04 CTS-V with a little hp persuasion device
3,824 Posts
The first picture is how it is supposed to be installed. The builder of the original kars posted about this a few months ago. Also, if you think about, it makes since. The pinion is trying to climb under acceleration so you want the rubber on the compression side, which in the first pic it is.

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
14,080 Posts
The first picture is how it is supposed to be installed. The builder of the original kars posted about this a few months ago. Also, if you think about, it makes since. The pinion is trying to climb under acceleration so you want the rubber on the compression side, which in the first pic it is.
^^^ Yeah that. ^^^

Ted, when I installed my KARS kit, I had the Specter Werkes bushings in. I elected to leave them installed and NOT install the steel ones that came with the KARS kit. Seems to work just fine since the Specter ones are hard as heck. I have the GM bushings laying around somewhere, but can't recall how hard they are. I think you want that to be rigid or hard at those points. Hope that was of some help.

·
Registered
04 CTS-V
935 Posts
How much welding was there involved? Can you possibly post a pic of the welds?

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Throw the GM bushings away and use the KARS spacers or the Specter bushing inserts.
As noted the top picture is correct.
Don't skip welding those pads on the body and painting them up nice.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, Black
2,165 Posts
As stated before, the top one is correct. Matter of fact I think that picture is directly taken from my car in my "Does your KARS look like this?" thread. Luke installed mine the correct way. As funny as it looks, it's what actually helps "stabilize" the rear. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
'04 CTS-V
35 Posts
Not to hijack your thread, but can I install this and then go have it welded up or do I need to have the welder handy when I do the install?

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
14,080 Posts
You can install it and have it welded afterward. In fact, that's what I did.

·
Registered
NONE
3,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds good guys, I'll install it like the first pictures and ditch the TSB bushings. I'll try and take a pic of the welding tomorrow when I'm under there, but it is LITERALLY the most simple welding job I have ever done. I consider myself an OK welder and didn't really feel comfortable welding on the V (I'm used to welding on big ugly off road trucks) until I saw how easy the job was.

Thanks for all the responses!

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
1,627 Posts
The bottom pic is from my car and that is definitely the wrong way to install the red bushings. Acutally, just tonight I had finally had enough of the insane amount of diff whine that was being transferred into the cabin and totally removed the two bolts and now the car is quiet again. I think for normal driving I am going to leave the bolts off and just let the diff brace hang out there in space until I decide I want to do a burnout then I will put the bolts back in with the red bushings on the outside of the plates. (P.S. I have never heard the cabin noise with the bushings in the correct locations, so maybe it is drastically better than what I have been experiencing, but for the time being the bolts are staying off)

On another note: Last night before taking the bolts out I did a hellacious burnout and had no wheelhop, it was a nice experience.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts