Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking since I'm tuning up my 472 now, I'd like to get an open element air filter kit for it. When I looked at my current air filter container, it has numerous vacuum hoses hooked up to it that I assume would cease to function with an open element filter? Or is there a place to hook up the vacuum hoses on the open element filters? :confused:

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
those hoses are form the AIR pump... personally I would dump the AIR pump as soon as I could, espeically if you are doing anything performance with it.

you don't need a K&N brand air cleaner... any 14" open element would work, mine was $30 and made by Edelbrock. Only thing that is neat about K&N is the lid is also a filter, I think thats cool... but its alot of money, and there is no way a 14" open element would be anywhere near close to restricting a BB Cad even a built up engine.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One of them was hooked to the air ride level control tank though. Im not sure what it does in particular but I figured if I unhooked it then the ride leveling wouldnt work. Come to think of it, how does the Air leveling work without a compressor and pulley hooked to the front of the engine? All I see the tank hooked to is a bunch of vacuum lines...

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
the air ride has an electric compressors... somewhere near the left fender.

None of mine have a hose going to the air cleaner, then again mine are a newer type... sounds to me like it is just the intake for the little electric compressor...you can put it anywhere and it woudl work (the hose) if thats the case.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well in that case, I'll have to run down to my local auto parts store and order one. Am I correct in assuming that the stock air container is a bit restrictive? Thanks for all of your advice guys I really appreciate it! :)

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
I had 2 issues with the 14" open element on my 425....

first, you'll notice the breather for the left valve cover, goes tot he air cleaner.

Witht he open element you loose that and there is now a hole in the valve coevr (I drove around like that for a couple days :) ) To fix this just go buy a breather element and slap it on. Although on my 425 atleast, the opening of the hole is non-standard size, plus the old grommet fell apart. So I bought new breather grommets, which were too big, so I cut a chunk out of it and was able to get it in, then the breather went into the hole, tight fit, but it isn't going anywehre now.

You will need a new air cleaner threaded rod, the factory threaded rod has an S type bend in it to move the acual air cleaner back, can't use that with the open element, but you gotta cut the new threaded rod to size otherwise it sticks up wayyy too much, and if you close the hood, the rod will dent it.

Finally, the air cleaner did not clear the AC lines and some other junk, so I had to buy a riser kit. I needed 1.5" of risers (1 x 1" and 1 x .5") and that cleared it perfect. Witht he new intake manifold and rebuilt carb, I now have a 1" carb spacer, so the 1" air cleaner riser is gone, just using the 1/2"

Thats all though.

Yeah, the factory air cleaner does choke it a bit... these cars were made to be quiet, yet powerful.... what other vehicle has a 7.0/7.7/8.2L big block V8, yet you can hardly hear it idle, and running wide open sounds like a faint engine sound from within the car?

What I also didn't like about the factory air cleaner, most the filtering was concentrated around the snorkel inlet... that part of the filter would always get dirty, then you gotta rotate the filter a little etc...

the open element, under part throttle you'll hear a suction sound... once the secondaires open, you'll definitly know its there. If you have the stock exhaust system it is fun, when someone is in the car for the first time, drive around for a while never opening the secondaires, the car will still accelerate nice and stuff, then when pulling out, just floor it, and the increase in sound and power will surprise anyone.... then they are like woha... this Caddy is fast!

For an all stock, restored car.. atleast a luxury car, the factory air cleaner does look better... but in my case my car isn't stock, and it isn't restored, so for me, the open element looks alot better... plus you loose the intake hose 9I don't think the 472 had one) and the hot air hose going from the left side exhaust manifold... lot more open and clean looking.

As far as power, it sin't going to be like 20hp or something, it may add a bit, or it may just seem like it does... but it does eliminate a big restriction... getting the air it needs.

Of course, the front 1/2 of the air cleaner will get more dirty then the back, when it does, just rotate it.

Another benifit that I havn't heard much, but I believe helps, or atleast the logic says.... these engines have huge mechanical fans on them... when the engine is running, reach over to the carb and bring the RPM up a bit, feel the massive amounts of air blowing on your hand? well now all that is is kinda....somewhat... being forced into the air cleaner right in the flow of that air... sure it is hotter then air from say behind the headlight or the wheel well (since it passed thru the AC condensor and radiator) but even when my engine is hot, the air blowing dosn't seem to be abnormally high or anything... so that has to do something to help airflow.

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
This picture is older, it now has the modified and painted '68 472 intake manifold, and the valve covers are painted (looks reeeeallll nice) and no EGR.... but, you get the idea :)

there was a generic aircleaner at Advance for like $27, then both a Holly and an Edelbrock for $31... for the couple extra bucks I wanted the brands.... plus they looked a little nicer... really what made me get the Edelbrock was the fact that Edelbrock makes the intake manifold for the BB Cad's, and I figured one day I would end up with one on the car.... plus, the design of it just looked alot nicer.... from what I seen, 3 or 4 of the other guys that have a 14" open element air cleaner on their BB Cad's all have the Edelbrock too.

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
I'm still not really convinced it would be worth giving up the factory unit that takes in cool air for a less restrictive unit that takes in post-radiator hot air. I see what you mean about the fan Rick but that's not going to be worth anything noticible.

Maybe when I take the 75 to the Dyno Edge I'll do a pull or two with it on, then run an aftermarket one or just no air filter (their dyno room is pretty damn clean anyway.) I'll probably have more crap to test that's more important though... I'd like to test stock vs open element filters, modified stock manifold vs edelbrock, stock exhaust vs dual 2.5" vs headers and duals (although 2.5" is too small for what I plan anyway so I doubt I'll do that one, maybe dual 3" instead) also vs exhaust cutouts if they'll allow them in their shop.

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
terrible one said:

That along with the cowl hood was an early thought of mine :cool2:
That is pretty much a dual snorkel air cleaner... though it seems like what you are doing is just ducting colder air to the air cleaner, it is the same theory.

A family friend, his son owns a machine shop (where I got my manifold cut) the son built the father a sweet 500 to put in the fathers '69 Coupe DeVille. The father wanted the car to look fully stock, so he took a factory air cleaner, and a 2nd air cleaner, cut out the snorkel, welded it into the other air cleaner, then ran another one of those dryer hose things to another point on the car, its all painted, and looks like a factory dual snorkel air cleaner.

Weather it adds power or not, IMO it looks cool, sounds good and helps to clean up the engine bay.... over all, I like it alot.

getting one of these adapted to the Cad is another choice if retaining the factory air cleaner means that much:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&from=R10&fstype=1&catref=C6&satitle=dual+snorkel&sacat=-1&catref=C6&bs=Search&sadis=200&fpos=33760&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=1&fsoo=1

Here is an older picture of the 425 with the origanal air cleaner.... this is *after* I cleaned it up and painted it, it was rusty and didn't look good... I gotta say, once it was painted it made a BIG difference in how the engine looked, and it didn't look all that bad... I just like the 14" open element Edelbrock better, and for the whole $30 it was, I was bored and picked it up :)

·
Banned
1976 Eldorado project
1,631 Posts
Yeah I guess it is kind of like that, but with still more airflow. Just thought that may be a way to at least give it some cold air in the mix. Here is a pic of the '76 with the air cleaner cleaned up and painted, and the valve covers cleaned up and painted a weird blue that I had laying around. Before the complete performance rebuild started, of course. :thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts