Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think or has been your experience with K&N filters. Worth the money? Clog to easy? Great product? Interested in what everyone thinks.

·
Banned
1976 Eldorado project
1,631 Posts
There is a lot of controversy with this topic. Some people think they let too much dirt into the engine.

Either way, I use them on a lot of my things including ATV's, etc and the Caddy. I think that it is a great product and definitly worth the money.

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
I tend to think the gain in power is not worth the price. Not even close in my mind.

·
Registered
1989 Sedan DeVille is now just a fond memory ....
10,429 Posts
I have K&N's in my cars. Hard to tell any performance improvement but you will save money in the long run by not having to replace the filter. Unless you are using the $2 cheapies, then it will take much longer to see savings. :p

·
Registered
20 Posts
Meh, I used to have a rough idle, I threw in a K&N and did absolutely nothing else and it evened out quite nicely. I'd definitely say they're worth it.

·
Registered
70 Fleetwood, 87 and 90 Brougham, 94 Fleetwood
215 Posts
They do increase power, but only at the top end and not so much you would feel it. They do last almost forever, though. That is where they are of benefit.

But, they have to be cleaned periodically. The recharger kit costs about $20 here in Canada, but you can clean your filter(s) several times with it.

I use one in my '70 with a smaller lid that allows as much air into the engine as it demands, and on my daily driver '85 Caprice also with a small cover. I am satisfied with them.

I have heard the rumblings about the K&N's allowing more dirt into the engine as well, but I have not found any studies that prove this, and any harm that results from it.

But, if you want to steer clear of the K7N, the AC/Delco filters offer a good compromise between fitering ability and air flow at a decent price.

Mike

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
guidematic said:
I have heard the rumblings about the K&N's allowing more dirt into the engine as well, but I have not found any studies that prove this, and any harm that results from it.
Might want to search through the northstar section for that.

K&Ns won't do anything better than a properly sized paper filter. Just about zero gain on a northstar, maybe that's what's spoiled me to the whole idea of a K&N on any engine.

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
I swear by them and I've had the panal filters in two of my vehicles. I DEFINATELY noticed fuel saving on the HW, and a slight increase in power which I will gladly take. I started a gas mileage thread on K&N in the lounge a month or so ago that you might like to read......

They are fun to clean out too.

·
Banned
1976 Eldorado project
1,631 Posts

Like those? lol

The company is Green Filters, imagine that. I know that there is another company that makes green filters though, I'm thinking it starts with an A...

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
terrible one said:

Like those? lol
The company is Green Filters, imagine that. I know that there is another company that makes green filters though, I'm thinking it starts with an A...
"Green" Now there's an original name LOL. Are you thinking of "Air Raid," I think they are orange or red like K&N's.

·
Banned
1976 Eldorado project
1,631 Posts
Yeah I'm familiar with Air Raid but thats not what I'm thinking of I knew of Green too but it just seems I read an article comparing different filters a while ago and there was a green filter on there but the company wasn't Green...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts