Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
13,986 Posts
What PN ya got? I just put mine in the other day (PN 332649), and I agree ... it seemed to barely fit over the edges of the opening.

I figured it was just 'cause I was too dumb to know any better. :banghead:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What PN ya got? I just put mine in the other day (PN 332649), and I agree ... it seemed to barely fit over the edges of the opening.

I figured it was just 'cause I was too dumb to know any better. :banghead:
332649 also. hopefully it seals ok once the lid is screwed down...

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS-V
48 Posts
I just installed the K&N 33-2649. It's much thinner than the original filter, but it seems to fit the perimeter of the box just fine. :thumbsup:

If anyone is interested, I bought mine through amazon.com. It was $37.24 and the shipping was free.

·
Registered
05 CTS-V
325 Posts
Does any one know how well the K&N really filters the air? Their claim is to high air flow numbers not how well it filters the air. I have had K&N filters on cars before and I was finding fine dirt in the intake track down stream of the filter. After contacting K&N they never said what the micron size is that their filters go down to. Now I live in a very dusty area and my concerns my not apply to every one. Any one have any ideas on this subject?

·
Registered
'04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V, '13ZL1, '12 V, '16 Z06 SC757
6,440 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
Does any one know how well the K&N really filters the air? Their claim is to high air flow numbers not how well it filters the air. I have had K&N filters on cars before and I was finding fine dirt in the intake track down stream of the filter. After contacting K&N they never said what the micron size is that their filters go down to. Now I live in a very dusty area and my concerns my not apply to every one. Any one have any ideas on this subject?
I like and run K&N filters in SOME applications. I would NOT, however, run one in dusty conditions because I too have found dust downstream of the intake. I run one now on a street driven motorcycle because it never sees a dirt road. I do not run them in any vehicle that I might have take down a dirt road. I have seen tests on the internet that confirmed that K&N filters are not usable in high dust conditons, but I haven't come across one lately.

·
Registered
2004 CTSV
590 Posts
I have been running the K&N panel filter for about a year on my V. I had the same concern about the fit. I have been monitoring the particulate dust downstream of the filter in the inlet tube just upstream of the throttle body and there doesn't appear to be any visible dust collecting on any surfaces. But I don't drive in super dusty road conditions.

Regarding the suitablility of the K&N filter in dusty conditions - remember you don't get high air flow through a filter (having about the same surface area)
without reducing the pressure drop. So I wouldn't be surprised that a freshly oiled K&N has slightly less filtering efficiency than an equivalent paper element. However, as you use the filter the dirt particles fill the voids and the filtering efficiency goes up - as does the pressure drop. But as the pressure drop increases, the flow rate of air decreases - so it is a catch 22. The only way to really increase the air mass flow rate is to increase the filter surface area or decrease the air temperature, or preferably both.

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
I have been running the K&N panel filter for about a year on my V. I had the same concern about the fit. I have been monitoring the particulate dust downstream of the filter in the inlet tube just upstream of the throttle body and there doesn't appear to be any visible dust collecting on any surfaces. But I don't drive in super dusty road conditions.

Regarding the suitablility of the K&N filter in dusty conditions - remember you don't get high air flow through a filter (having about the same surface area)
without reducing the pressure drop. So I wouldn't be surprised that a freshly oiled K&N has slightly less filtering efficiency than an equivalent paper element. However, as you use the filter the dirt particles fill the voids and the filtering efficiency goes up - as does the pressure drop. But as the pressure drop increases, the flow rate of air decreases - so it is a catch 22. The only way to really increase the air mass flow rate is to increase the filter surface area or decrease the air temperature, or preferably both.
Yes, and the only way to protect you engine in high dust conditions is with oiled foam filters.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts