Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some experimenting going on in the CTS-V camp on CAI systems. They're not to happy with the Volant. 10secvette found the K&N c5 cone fits in the OEM box with some alteration. Here's a clip.

If you compare the stock airbox to the volant and then look under the hood to where they reside. There is very little room for improvement over the stock design. We are limited to fresh air induction be sheetmetal surrounding the airbox by design. Just because the volant box has it's sides cut away means nothing. Those opened up sides still reside behind sheetmetal with very little cold air access.

With the airbox out of the way, remove the grill and you will get a better view to the stock rubber inlet boot etc. Cut that piece out, it's held by 2 rivets. That opens up one of the stock airbox (main) inlet tubes, take an exacto knife and cut a square hole in the plastic surround that resides in front of the other inlet tube on the stock box. If you look at the factory round hole in the box, it does not seem to draw fresh air from anywhere, yet volant makes this hole huge...... worthless. Eye appeal, nothing else. You now have as much cold fresh air as your going to get without cutting sheetmetal. I had a used c5 K&N filter laying around which fit the stock airbox width wise and we trimmed to fit lenght wise. The stock inlet elbow appears to be restictive and we tested the stocker against the volant piece, no change between the two. I hope this helps and saves you all a few hundred bucks for the same results.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60032

·
Registered
The Mighty Kael, 2004 Black CTS, Every Option
2,432 Posts
well its good to show that the volant intake is something you should not spend your money on that a drop in k and n panel filter and some easy mods to the stock airbox will get the same gains.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
i can't believe a flat panel k&n can yield as much in the stock airbox as a cone filter. does the c5 k&n resemble the size of the airhog? i mean, the surface areas are just incompairable. i'm not arguing, just trying to understand here.

·
Registered
CTS
1,485 Posts
Kael said:
well its good to show that the volant intake is something you should not spend your money on that a drop in k and n panel filter and some easy mods to the stock airbox will get the same gains.
I bought SD Marine's stock Airbox, I want to try a stealth airbox setup with K&N. IF you look at the K&N filter setup for the 3.6 THAT uses a cone filter, but its open to the engine compartment. If you could modify the stock airbox and make that K&N setup fit into it and give it intakes to breath from, then I think you could have a good setup.

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TripleOught said:
i can't believe a flat panel k&n can yield as much in the stock airbox as a cone filter. does the c5 k&n resemble the size of the airhog? i mean, the surface areas are just incompairable. i'm not arguing, just trying to understand here.
10SECVETTE said he did some trimming for the c5 panel. Ody had talked about tryin' a K&N cone inside the OEM box. I think he was unsure how to hook the cone to the intake.

·
Registered
2017 CTS-V
1,670 Posts
RobertCTS said:
10SECVETTE said he did some trimming for the c5 panel. Ody had talked about tryin' a K&N cone inside the OEM box. I think he was unsure how to hook the cone to the intake.
I did this. I put a 6" K&N cone filter into the stock box. I removed the tubing and the plastic wall inside to get the cone to fit. It was much quieter compared to just an open air element but it felt a little sluggish. I switched back to the 9" intake without the box and it felt more powerful. I think the small hole that the stock intake needs to breathe through is the main restriction.

This was done when the weather was cool so the free breathing advantage outweighed the cold air advantage. Perhaps when the weather gets hot, the cone inside the stock box will have more power than the open air filter. I guess I'll have to wait until next year to find out.

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
If the restriction is the filter itself, then yes a filter with larger surface area will flow more and should increase power. With the stock airbox, the issue is feeding the filter lots more air than the stock fender port will flow. Doing a TonyA mod, but using a larger cone filter would remove the filter as the restriction.

I'm wondering how much of the increase I saw on the dyno with the K&N was due to larger filter area, the velocity stack filter transition, or the hard intake tube. The key to fitting a cone type filter in the stock airbox is diameter. The MAF sits pretty high in the airbox but a small (say 6" diameter base) cone filter may fit if angled right. You'll have to completely gut the waffle grid and the inner tube to the fender port. Noise may also become an issue. This can be abated by gutting a stock air filter panel and enlarging the rectangular center hole to fit around the base of the new cone filter (you need the gaskets on the edges to properly seal the airbox anyhow). Then drill a bunch of 1/2" holes for noise dampening.

For maximum filter area, I'd use an oval cone filter (6"x9"x6") that keeps the height minimized, with wider width, and plenty of length. Look inside the stock airbox and you'll see the dimension restrictions. I tried to test fit the K&N filter inside the stock airbox to no avail. You'd also have to open up some large holes in the front of the airbox, a la TonyA mod. Then you'd have to figure out how to get the air from behind the bumper to those holes. If you've got the stock CTS bumper, removing the lower grill covers should be enough (and cutting a hole in the rubber flap behind the headlight to match the airbox hole). The V bumper will have different issues as there are no grill covers to remove on that side of the rubber air panels, which keep air flowing to the radiator.

It can be done with the proper research and trail and error, and would look very stealth, when the dealer opens your hood, though.

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sure would be nice to have the K&N inventory at your disposal to see the biggest cone filter that fits in the box!:yup: Anybody check the K&N website to see if they have any tools to look at cone dimensions?

·
Registered
1970 Eldorado.
4,023 Posts
Anybody has a stock airbox for sale still? I want to take one to a mod shop that I pass every day. They carry K&N and can do custom mod's. I want to try that out, without being unable to drive my car.

Let me know! ThnX!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts