Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
'03 STS (RIP), '89 Eldorado, '13 Malibu, '89 Grand Wagoneer
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's not a problem or anything and I'm pretty sure I know what it is, but I've been meaning to ask for sure.

Maybe about 10-20 seconds after I start the car I hear what sounds like a motor engaging from the rear of the car. I've just figured that it is the fuel pump engaging as I know that is tied in with the Passkey system. Is this correct or is it something else? If it's not the fuel pump what is it, part of the suspension? Just wondering.

Also, and this sort of ties in with the Passkey thing. I only received a single driver's key and fob when I got the car as well as the valet key. The wife has the valet key with the rest of her keys as she doesn't really drive the car. However if she does ever drive it, will she be able to with the valet key? From what I understand the valet key is not Passkey enabled, right? I just want to make sure so I can tell her as I don't want her to take the car someday only to have it shut off somewhere down the road because the fuel pump was never engaged.

It hasn't really been that big a deal since the farthest she's driven with that key is out of the driveway. If she ever did need to take it somewhere she could/would just use my key. But does anyone happen to know how much another driver's key+fob would cost... I'm sure they're not cheap.

Thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,105 Posts
The pump noise is the air compressor for the active suspension leveling system. It goes through a "prove out" test and then replaces any shock air lost since last start. When you DON'T hear it, worry....... You should have key fob #1 and #2 as well as the valet key. (Are there 2 personalization buttons on the driver's door panel ??) If you don't disable the trunk and fuel door switches by turning off the switch in the glove box, and then locking it, the key does everything except open the trunk and/or unlock the glove box manually (the buttons under the headlight control will still pop the trunk and fuel door unless disabled as above....) It's all magic.

·
Registered
'03 STS (RIP), '89 Eldorado, '13 Malibu, '89 Grand Wagoneer
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok.. that makes sense, I figured it either had something to do with the fuel or the suspension. I knew that whatever the sound was, it was perfectly normal, I was just unsure about what it was doing exactly.

As far as the keys go, yes I have the two memory buttons on the door. I only have key fob #1, we didn't get #2 but we get the valet key. So the valet key can be used to drive the car around. I thought that I had read somewhere that the valet key didn't have the passkey feature and could therefore only be driven a short distance before the fuel was cut, like a valet parking the car in the parking lot. I could be completely mistaken on that though. It would be great if the valet key could be used to drive the car indefinitely as to save me from having to pony up the cash for a replacement #2 key and fob.

btw - good to see ya, haven't seen you on here for a little while!

·
Registered
2009 CTS4 2007 STS
298 Posts
If I'm correct the valet key can be used like a normal key with the exception of opening the trunk and glovebox. That's why you have the switch inside the glovebox. There are a couple of websites that you can get a key but i think they are $45 plus at the dealer. As for the keyfob i got the ones for my 97 STS off of ebay some new some used just match up the #'s for your year and model. Dont know how much the dealer charges but like anything else with a caddie it's gonna cost u but the new ones tend to last longer. oh yeah if you choose to go the ebay rout make sure u get the directions for programming them. the dealer charges for that also.

·
Registered
99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55
3,516 Posts
I believe the valet key must have the Passkey chip - otherwise it would not start the car at all. I think Passkey only validates the key's "signature" or code at start - deciding whether or not it will engage the starter motor. The only other difference should be that the valet key has a different cut that will not operate the glovebox or trunk. If you got another remote and set it up as #2 you could hang the valet key off of it for your wife, she could have her own seat/mirror settings (they go with the remote - not the key) and you can save the cost of getting a new key at the dealer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts