Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally made the purchase! A 1998 Black ETC w/ wheat (cream?) interior. 50k, never driven in rain or snow, all service records, and absolutely flawless! This car drives unlike anything I've driven - smooth as glass, yet fast, nimble, and fun to drive!

I've put a 4yr/48k warrenty on the car, and I plan to use this as my daily-driver. I don't drive particularly far (~12k Mi) per year, and it's a pretty even split between city & highway.

This leads me to my questions - other than yearly radiator flush, what sort of maintenance will I be looking at? Should I be flushing the tranny as well (as she does have 50k on the clock right now)? Do plugs & wires last until 100k? I took the air filter out yesterday - looks to be clean! Fuel filters usually need replacement?

My last question - On the dash "info" center, what are the "normal" ranges for the battery voltage? And what is a "healthy" gas mileage? Right now I'm seeing 11.9 volts with the car off, and once it's started, I see about 12.3 to 12.8. As far as mileage goes, I've been seeing about 13-14mpg, with mostly city driving. To me these figures seem about right, but since I'm new to this car and powerplant, I'm curious what the more experienced folks on the board think!

I'll try to get some pictures up soon! Thanks for the input!

-Scott

·
Registered
26 Posts
The service manual doesn't call for tranny fluid change unless your in a climate of 90 degrees F or above in hilly terrain, using the car for performance, or as a limo.

Radiator flush isn't called for (per the service manual) till 100,000 miles. Being as it's 5 years old go ahead if ya feel like it.

The volts are fine also. Mine averages between 17 and 20 MPG each tank depending on how much ideling I do and my heavy foot.

Congrads on your car.

·
Watching the Watchers
5,959 Posts
Congrats on the car. I would go ahead and do all the services if you plan on keeping i for a while, ya know an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Gret thing about late model Eldo's is, that since they dont make them anymore it will never be outdated by a newer model. So you'll have the latest and greatest Eldo for years to come.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Remember, you wont do any harm by overmaintaining...... Especially to the northstar.......

With mileage.... It sounds like your not quite what you should be getting....... Some people get more like 17mpg in the city........

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After a few days, things are still great with the car! I finally got the car programmed (seat memory, auto-lock in gear, etc.) Gas mileage is getting better - I'm seeing about 16mpg with all city. I'll be doing all highway this upcoming weekend, so I'll update you with those figures!

I just ordered rubber floormats from weathertech for the winter (I hate snow!), and I got the detailing kit from Zaino, complete with claybar! Once I get a few coats of Zaino on the car, I'll take some digi-pix and post them!

Here's my only question - What's the story with the pre-wired cellphone kit? Did cadillac sell a phone with the car, or does any hands-free kit with the proper inputs/outputs hook up?

The only person who doesn't like the car is my girlfriend.... She's not a big fan of the color - but loves the ride & interior. As I told her, "Like I'd take car advice from someone who drives a Neon?!?" LOL!

Thanks for the warm welcome & all the input!

-Scott

·
Registered
1996 Seville STS
141 Posts
BostonETC97 said:
I finally made the purchase! A 1998 Black ETC w/ wheat (cream?) interior. 50k, never driven in rain or snow, all service records, and absolutely flawless! This car drives unlike anything I've driven - smooth as glass, yet fast, nimble, and fun to drive!

I've put a 4yr/48k warrenty on the car, and I plan to use this as my daily-driver. I don't drive particularly far (~12k Mi) per year, and it's a pretty even split between city & highway.

This leads me to my questions - other than yearly radiator flush, what sort of maintenance will I be looking at? Should I be flushing the tranny as well (as she does have 50k on the clock right now)? Do plugs & wires last until 100k? I took the air filter out yesterday - looks to be clean! Fuel filters usually need replacement?

My last question - On the dash "info" center, what are the "normal" ranges for the battery voltage? And what is a "healthy" gas mileage? Right now I'm seeing 11.9 volts with the car off, and once it's started, I see about 12.3 to 12.8. As far as mileage goes, I've been seeing about 13-14mpg, with mostly city driving. To me these figures seem about right, but since I'm new to this car and powerplant, I'm curious what the more experienced folks on the board think!

I'll try to get some pictures up soon! Thanks for the input!

-Scott
Hey, Nice car! I think your gas mileage will improve. I would change the oil and filter and then just drive it for a few weeks. At some point after buying a car I go on a maintenance frenzy just once. Like you said I would change all the filters, the coolant (maybe flush), and change the transmission fluid and filter. After that maintenance should be mostly oil changes.

The ETC is a lot different than a neon. If you have heated seats your girlfirend will be an ETC fan by November or December at the latest.
Maybe the first winter drive with heated seats in a blizzard with traction control and 3900 lbs easily plowing through snow drifts might convince her. If not, then a 1000 mile trip in spacious smooth climate controlled comfort might do it. I would think that at some point she may begin realizing how different the ETC is from the Neon.

Enjoy,
96STS

1 - 8 of 8 Posts