Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
STS, XLR, STS V-Series, CTS V-Series, XTS....
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Increase braking performance with various upgrades from D3 Cadillac. The Escalade is a great vehicle, but it lacks adequate braking performance from the factory. If you are looking for just a slight upgrade in braking performance or large upgrades, D3 Cadillac has what you are looking for.

Performance Rotor Upgrades
Application – 2007+ Escalade/ESV/EXT
If you are looking to just get a little more out of your factory braking system, this modification is a great fit. By replacing your heavy factory rotors with these lighter rotors you will get less rotating mass under acceleration and deceleration. Also you will acquire more consistent braking performance by increased cooling with the optional cross drilled or slotted rotors. This is a great upgrade to reduce that unwanted brake fade when conducting spirited driving.

Big Brake System Upgrades
Application – 2007+ Escalade/ESV/EXT

* Front 8 Piston: MSRP $3995.00
* Front 12 Piston: MSRP $4495.00
* Rear 4 Piston: MSRP $2195.00 (355 mm rotor)
* Rear 4 Piston: MSRP $2695.00 (380 mm rotor)

For those who demand the highest performance out of their vehicles, we offer our big brake kits. These kits are available in 12 or 8 piston front calipers and 4 piston rear calipers. The rotors are available in standard, slotted or slotted and cross drilled. Calipers are available in red or light metallic blue. Custom colors in dark blue, gold, gunmetal, silver, black, orange and yellow are available for an additional cost.

These brakes will clear the factory 22” wheels without ANY modification.

Please let us know if you have any questions.
Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac Escalade
253 Posts
Too expensive for my blood and I am happy the way it brakes now. I do have a question though, does one have to replace the master cylinder for this "upgraded" brake system?

·
Registered
'07 Escalade ESV AWD
248 Posts
Too expensive for my blood and I am happy the way it brakes now. I do have a question though, does one have to replace the master cylinder for this "upgraded" brake system?
Uhhh...you get what you pay for, and it doesn't come inexpensively for a reason. I guarantee there's a completely night and day difference between stock and the big brake kits. People are always anxious to add power, but skimp on what it takes to slow it down. Add a trailer to the mix and braking is that much more important.

ANYWAY, couple of questions for Dr. D; are the rotors OK to use with stock pads or do you recommend a specific brand/component to compliment them?

As far as the big brake kits go, I'm pretty sure that 18s are out of the question, but will any of them clear 20s? I have a summer/winter wheel swap issue that I need to contend with. Thanks...

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
Uhhh...you get what you pay for, and it doesn't come inexpensively for a reason. I guarantee there's a completely night and day difference between stock and the big brake kits. People are always anxious to add power, but skimp on what it takes to slow it down. Add a trailer to the mix and braking is that much more important.

ANYWAY, couple of questions for Dr. D; are the rotors OK to use with stock pads or do you recommend a specific brand/component to compliment them?

As far as the big brake kits go, I'm pretty sure that 18s are out of the question, but will any of them clear 20s? I have a summer/winter wheel swap issue that I need to contend with. Thanks...
My new Baer Claws will clear 20's, no smaller, these are probably about the same

·
Banned
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The piston size is matched to the master cylinder capabilities. Everything is matched and designed to work most effectively for the application the brakes are being applied to.

Anytime you start in increase rotational mass or increase accelerating performance you will certainly see the gains of having an adequate braking system to slow you back down. There is nothing more unsettling as a driver then when you have an inconsistent brake pedal and suspect braking performance. As Ronin already mentioned, you get what you pay for. These are great brakes and really show their worth when you are towing or enjoying some nice twisties.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

·
Banned
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would assume you are referring to the OE replacement rotors. Yes, you can certainly use OE pads on the aftermarket rotors. Obviously if you are spending the money to upgrade, you should try and opt for the higher performance pad.

As for the BBK. I can post up a brake profile and you can measure your wheels to see what will fit or clear your wheels. This would be the best way to see if you will have any issues. As for the snow wheels (20") it also depends on the wheel profile. If you have a nice shape to the spoke (cross section) you might be able to clear. The 22" factory wheels clear, not because the inner diameter of the wheel, but because there is enough sweep on the spoke of the wheel to clear the caliper. Subsequently the 8-piston BBK will not clear because the diameter of the rotor is smaller and the caliper will interfere with the sweep of the spoke.

I will post the brake profile tomorrow in 8/12 piston so you can see. Let us know if there are any questions.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac Escalade
253 Posts
4-4.5 g's?? Damn! Good thing I only drive 20mph :D
I agree. If I did the math right,,,a full set with new calipers on every corner it will cost you between $6,190 to $7,190. Then you have to purchase rotors and pads.
I completely understand the importance to stop in a timely and safe manner. My last car was a 07 Mercedes E55 AMG with several modifications done to the engine, brakes, wheels, etc... I saw the point with that car because it was a high performance sedan.

·
Banned
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello,
Actually the breakdown would be as follows:
Big Brake Kit - Front 8 Piston 405mm Cadillac Escalade $3,995.00
Big Brake Kit - Front 12 Piston 405mm Cadillac Escalade $4,595.00
Big Brake Kit - Rear 4 Piston 350mm Cadillac Escalade $2,195.00
Big Brake Kit - Rear 4 Piston 380mm Cadillac Escalade $2,695.00

Please note this is the price per axle and it is a complete kit (i.e. calipers, rotors, brake lines, mounting hardware, and pads). Everything you need for installation comes in this kit and for the price listed above. You will also notice the different size kits we offer as well. Most people don't usually experience like this, but it is certainly a huge difference in braking performance.

Please let us know if there are any questions.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

I agree. If I did the math right,,,a full set with new calipers on every corner it will cost you between $6,190 to $7,190. Then you have to purchase rotors and pads.
I completely understand the importance to stop in a timely and safe manner. My last car was a 07 Mercedes E55 AMG with several modifications done to the engine, brakes, wheels, etc... I saw the point with that car because it was a high performance sedan.

·
Registered
'07 Escalade ESV AWD
248 Posts
I had an '05 S55 AMG and I still see the point with these kits on the Escalade. I have a 8x22 car carrier and if I was towing the S55 in it behind my Escalade I would appreciate high performance braking in an unexpected/emergency situation. Sure some guys would like these because they look cool but that's not to say that other people like myself wouldn't want them for a "legitimate" reason, which is my case is towing. (I'm not aware of anyone autocrossing an Escalade, but I could be wrong...) That being said anyone who drives their Escalade like it's an E55/S55 is an idiot...

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
I had an '05 S55 AMG and I still see the point with these kits on the Escalade. I have a 8x22 car carrier and if I was towing the S55 in it behind my Escalade I would appreciate high performance braking in an unexpected/emergency situation. Sure some guys would like these because they look cool but that's not to say that other people like myself wouldn't want them for a "legitimate" reason, which is my case is towing. (I'm not aware of anyone autocrossing an Escalade, but I could be wrong...) That being said anyone who drives their Escalade like it's an E55/S55 is an idiot...
My 09' with Baer Claws on all 4's, well you better be seatbelted in when you hit the brakes or your hitting the windshield, have not towed with it yet but there is no question it will stop MUCH faster.

·
Banned
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You hit the nail right on the head! These make a HUGE difference when towing. I drove an EXT with the 12 piston set up on it and pulled a trailer without any issues. Not only did it not feel like there was anything behind me, but it stopped effortlessly. Unlike the 08 GMC 3500 dullie when towing, I didnt have to use the trailer brake assist on the Escalade. The dullie I would have to... Great brakes and certainly a must for those that use it for towing.

Thanks,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

1 - 12 of 12 Posts