Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is no way that that little piece was in any way a "strangulation device." There is no way that that little piece was robbing hp tq or airflow. It is simply a rubber lead to the piece attached to the side/bottom of the intake box when you remove it. Can someone please explain why removing this would do anything at ALL>?

·
Registered
'04 CTS-V platinum/blk.
1,227 Posts
04CTSVFLA said:
Can someone please explain why removing this would do anything at ALL?

Removing it does nothing. That is why many, including myself, left it in. Leaving it in place also allows the factory intake to properly be returned to stock.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont have a aftermarket intake...yet (i am getting the volant). But i still dont see how that would do anything. Can anyone take a picture of the piece so we know we are talking of the same piece? Anyways does an aftermarket intake have that "lead" coming off the box towards the front grille that would even connect to this snorkel?....(where the snorkel used to be)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Nope. I ripped that rubber thing out and cut out virtually ALL of the rubber pieces that would impede airflow from the grille back. Even if it didn't hurt, having that limp, loose rubber piece flexing and flapping around in the wind while your accelerating (especially at higher speeds) for sure could not help in providing optimum performance. And sometimes, that extra 2-3 hp can make a difference at those speeds. ;)

·
Registered
05 maggied CTS-V, 2017 NSX Whoo Hoo!
8,810 Posts
L.Sanchez said:
Nope. I ripped that rubber thing out and cut out virtually ALL of the rubber pieces that would impede airflow from the grille back. Even if it didn't hurt, having that limp, loose rubber piece flexing and flapping around in the wind while your accelerating (especially at higher speeds) for sure could not help in providing optimum performance. And sometimes, that extra 2-3 hp can make a difference at those speeds. ;)
How many cuts did you end up with on your hands?
Fighting with those stupid rivets is the pits.:thehand:

The only way to remove it properly is by removing the facia and drilling the rivets.
I ended up doing that when I installed the maggie.

·
Registered
187 Posts
heavymetals said:
How many cuts did you end up with on your hands?
Fighting with those stupid rivets is the pits.:thehand:

The only way to remove it properly is by removing the facia and drilling the rivets.
None. I actually am only 5'7", so my hands aren't huge. I was able to pull the rubber right over the rivets and pull the whole snorkel out without removing the girlle and such. Just a medium length screwdriver. I swear it can be done!

For all those out there, a 6 pack will get you my hands and help if you need it. :)

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I too was able to use my hands to simply rip the snorkel out (pulled the rubber over the rivets). Now my only problem, and L sanchez you may be able to help, is I now have 3 loose aluminum rivets rattling in my engine compartment. Any ideas on how to remove them?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
heavymetals said:

·
Registered
2004 Black on Beige CTS-V
57 Posts
04CTSVFLA,

I just removed the radiator cover and took wire cutters, reached my hand through the hood release hole and cut the rivets off with the wire cutters, letting them drop down to the plastic tray below. If you pull on the plastic piece the rivets were attached to, the back part will drop too. Then, all you need to do is remove that tray from the bottom and take them out if you want. I think they will evetually rattle out off that try though, so there might not be a need to do that. Fixed the problem for me though...

·
Registered
669 Posts
I was just going to post a request here to see if any one on this forum has a name for me at the Cadillac engineering/design team - I've been looking at that intake snorkel wondering why it was designed the convoluted way it is. Is it inhaling air from the top of the grill maybe? :hmm:
I've contacted my Cadillac Personal Assistant for a name however, have not received a response from her. Does anyone here have a name at Cadillac for me to contact for an answer? :hmm:

·
Registered
2011 Raven CTS-V Coupe
248 Posts
I was just looking at that thing a few days ago. I assumed it was there to keep water from getting sucked into the air box. For those of you that removed the snorkel - have you driven in the rain since you removed it, and did the air box take on any water?

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V | 2012 CTS-V
970 Posts
I drove in a rain storm so bad I thought the car was going to stall out from all the water in the street. I was worried about the LPE intake I had on at that time. I checked it at home and it was fine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts