Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2005 STS 1SG
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a full loaded 2005 V8 RWD with which I believe MAY be a 1SG. Car is in near perfect condition cosmetically. 90k miles in 10 years, no accidents, 1 Florida owner, serviced at dealerships, and under $8,500. Car needed new pads, rotors, and front tires as well as the condensation headlight mod and a thorough cleaning of the 18" rims. Started off with the front tires, found a set of Pirelli PZero Nero is 235/50R18 for only $139 a tire.

Did my free research and even though the tires I believe are discontinued they did have a pretty good set of reviews. So far they're pretty quiet and comfy. Tread patern isn't bad either, and I'm going to see how they do during the summer. If they hold up I'll grab a set of 255/45R18s for the rears (yay for staggered tire sizes....)

Brake set arrives in a week, going to do tints in the meantime and next week take off the bumper, put in LED fog bulbs, do the headlight drilling, sand and buff/polish the little bit of oxidation of each headlight and replace the little bullet parking light (as long as I have that stupid bumper off). Also I wanted to ask if anyone knows if you can hook up a backup camera to the nav unit? I've seen one on ebay that is integrated into a license plate frame and even though we have sensors I really prefer in seeing behind me when I park since NYC parking can make your head explode.

Thanks in advance for all your input!

·
Registered
2005 STS 1SG
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wow, 10 hours and no replies... looking at the titles of 95% of the threads it seems that this forum is more about what's broken on your STS instead actually discussing the car

·
Registered
2006 STS 1SF N* RWD NAV F55
705 Posts
I'm jealous, I looked everywhere, including Florida, Found only one 1SG, in Marco Island,
and the owner wanted the money (UP FRONT), so I reported him.
You asked a LOT of different questions, Pirelli has NOT shown up here,
mostly Continental, Michelin,and one other.Some Generals.
No camera can be hooked up to the car, you have to use a seperate screen.
What does LED Fogs get you ? While you in the side door of the headlights,
to replace the peanut bulbs, Use permatex NON hardening to help the 9 year old
gasket on the side door.ALL your build is in the trunk, the tag on the trunk spare cover,
I took a picture of it, to take to my computer, and save it.
it will tell you if you have a 1SG. NOT 1SZ and what brakes
you have JL9 or JE5, to know what rotors, and /or pads you need.
A lot of the guys on this forum, work, so posting at 10:00 AM will not get you a rapid reply.
The headlights have a vent tube, on the rear, and it should be facing down, as far as I know.
So I don't know what you mean my drilling, other than draining the water out.
Use a hair dryer to dry it out completely.I got my peanuts from Cadillac, and they were
over $ 9.00 a piece, and the WRONG color, to match my low beams, etc.
Hope this helps. Happy Motoring.:stirpot: :welcome::welcome::cool2::cool2:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Keep those tires clean and use a protectant that blocks UV rays, I had those same tires they dryrotted on me and had a lot splits between the treads.

·
Registered
2005 STS 1SG
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TimmyC wrote about how to eliminate condensation by drilling 3 holes in the rear and bottom of the headlights to ventilate them anand stop condensation build up.

1SG, no?

20150512_231814_zpswbtajwky.jpg

·
Registered
2005 STS 1SG
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No easy way to add a backup camera; no good way at all.
Yeah I've seen some use a separate monitor and I'm wondering if they make one thin enough to be wired up to sunvisor so it can be folded away when not in use.

·
Registered
2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE
8,178 Posts
Since you probably have TQ5 - Intellibeam Auto High Beam Control, you wouldn't want to go the route of a replacement mirror to display the backup camera and integrating through the Nav display would require an old-style Lockpick and be clumsy in operation, anyway.

There was a vendor claiming support for direct connection to the Nav display, but the documentation was a bit thin and no members were willing to pilot a project with questionable support.

IMHO, the URPA renders one almost unnecessary, but opinions vary. Good luck in your search.

By the way... Welcome to the forum & congratulations on your purchase. These are fine automobiles and a lot of fun to drive, especially in the 1SG trim.

·
Registered
2008 STS4 V8 1SG Platinum Edition
606 Posts
These people claim to have a plug and play backup camera system that integrates into the nav head. Nobody here as far as I know was willing to give it a shot. If you do, please report back how it went...

Email from Tadi
On this page, is the module they will need: http://www.tadibrothers.com/Catalog/CarSpecificCameraSystems/BMW-Backup-Camera-System

Here are suggested cameras for the STS:
http://www.tadibrothers.com/Catalog/BackupCameras/120-Black-License-Plate-Frame-HD-Backup-Camera-Hi-Res-CCD

http://www.tadibrothers.com/Catalog/BackupCameras/120-Black-License-Plate-Backup-Camera-Hi-Res-CCD

·
Registered
2005 STS 1SG
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If it's plug and play why wouldn't anyone jump on this? My concern is the link you attached is for a BMW, not the STS.

·
Registered
08 STS-4 N* 1SG, 08 DTS Luxury II, 04 Bonneville GXP N*
3,210 Posts
It was either a new replacement cover (which won't have one), someone peeled it off (perhaps to relocate it elsewhere), or the cover is used and the label was taken off because it didn't match the VIN and options.

·
Registered
2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE
8,178 Posts
Any GM Dealer can do a VIN report. Got a friend?

CompNine used to give them away upon joining. The CTS area had a few 'insiders', too.

Stop by your local dealer. They are good friends to have on your side. If you're a morning person, bring a dozen donuts. If you sleep in, make it a dozen tacos.

·
Registered
2005 STS N*
125 Posts
Okay I think I will figure it out.

But I am curious Stringztoo, how the Pirelli's are going to do. I'm looking for some new tires in the next year and I'm not sure what I'll be buying.

·
Registered
2005 STS 1SG
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okay I think I will figure it out.

But I am curious Stringztoo, how the Pirelli's are going to do. I'm looking for some new tires in the next year and I'm not sure what I'll be buying.
Well I mean I've only had them on for like 4 days 100 miles... but I'll post an update on here towards the end of the fall and let you know how they held up.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts