Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2007 ESV AWD
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased my first Cadillac! It is an 07 ESV AWD, with every option. It had almost 34k miles and is quicksilver with ebony interior. I traded my 07 Land Cruiser for this because we needed more room. Anyway, I am new to Cadillac, specifically the Escalade. I know the new 09 models have bluetooth, however, are there any changes from the 07 to the 09 otherwise? Any concerns I should aware of? I would appreciate any help/advice you can give me.
I have noticed alot of small orange colored specs on the paint and chrome. With some pretty hard cleaning, it will come off. Through research on this site I suspect it maybe what is called rail dust. This ESV came from Michagan. I am located in NC, where it will for as long as I have it. I plan to try a clay bar on it as soon as I can. I also noticed some minor places on the 22" chrome wheels where the chrome seems to be corroding and/or peeling off. Anybody had this happen?

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
Welcome and congrats on your truck. What you are seeing is rail dust as you said, claying will remove that problem, use plenty of lube and you will be fine. You can read about claying on our web site if you have never done it before. Apply a good synthetic wax product after claying will help keep the buildup down on your clear coat. If you have any questions ask away. :)

·
Registered
2007 ESV AWD
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the replay!!!
I just purchase the HI-Tech Magic Sponge, which is suppose to be a better and easier alternative. I have also been researching an acid wash. I may end up trying the sponge and the clay, then try the acid if need be. The difficult areas will be where the rail dust has formed around the emblems and so on. These areas will be difficult if not impossible to get to.

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
I would stay away from the acid wash, it old technology and clay is a better safer choice, our shops did the acid wash thing in the 80's. I like clay better than the sponge, the sponge is good for touch ups.

·
Registered
2007 ESV AWD
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Through extensive research I have read that the clay bars and sponges only remove whats on the surface. The rust particles have embeded into the paint pores. The only way to truly remove all the particles is to use some form of acid wash. I found one made by Car Brite called fall out gel or liquid. The problem I have is the rail dust is all over the paint and chrome. It's in those tight places around the emblems and so on. You can't get these areas with a clay bar. I would have to use some form of chemical to remove it in these places. Can you tell me more? I am certainly no expert at this and will gladly accept any advice.

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
I use clay in tight areas all the time, on chrome and plastic chrome as well, you just need to be very careful. The problem that acid washing can cause is some clear coat damage as it goes to work on the metal pieces in the clear coat if the acid is not neutralized completely. With acid wash you need good ventilation and body protection (eyes and skin) You may want to find a good detail shop or body shop to do this for you if you have never done this before, because you can do damage to your finish. :)

·
Registered
2007 ESV AWD
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, the clay bar will in fact take off the rail dust? How hard is it to get off with the clay bar? Is there an extensive amount of rubbing in the same spot to get it off? I mean the rail dust is down the sides, front, and rear of this esv. It's on the platics and chrome as you mentioned. I have a large vehicle to do as it is, if I have to spend 30 mins on a 1ft square area it will take months to do with clay. Thanks for helping me with this. I really appreciate it!

·
Premium Member
17 XTS Platinum V-Sport; 17 Buick Envision AWD Turbo; 10 Lincoln MKS AWD Twin Turbo
3,766 Posts
Would not be surprised if your vehicle is from the Lansing area. I get bad rail dust on my 07 Quicksilver every winter. In the summer I am able to wash the truck so much that the dust rail never imbeds itself. I use 3M adhesive remover and a clean white washcloth to rub out the dust every Spring. I am sure clay, etc works too. This is just another easy remedy.

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
You have an IM. Even if your truck is loaded with rail dust claying should not take more than an hour or two, if I am claying one of my Escalade's it takes me about 15-20 minutes. Just remember plenty of lube and pay attention to the clay, as you start picking up debris from the surface on the clay bar you will want to rotate the clay to keep a fresh "working surface", and if it still showing a lot of debris on the clay bar you will want to kneed the clay bar to keep a clean working surface on the clay. :)

·
Registered
2007 ESV AWD
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks so much for the help guys! It was purchanced from the Grand Rapids area. Not sure where the buyer lived though. It was serviced at two dealers. Superior Caddy in Brighton and Harvey Cadillac. Most of the servicing was at Harvey Caddy in GR.

I am a bit confussed. I read so much about this rail dust. Some have said claying will remove, some say it will only remove the surface contaminents and the only way to get it all it with chemical decon, then clay it. However, if I understand you guys right, claying alone will take care of it and there is no need to use the chemical decon/ acid wash the paint?

·
Registered
2007 ESV AWD
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Would not be surprised if your vehicle is from the Lansing area. I get bad rail dust on my 07 Quicksilver every winter. In the summer I am able to wash the truck so much that the dust rail never imbeds itself. I use 3M adhesive remover and a clean white washcloth to rub out the dust every Spring. I am sure clay, etc works too. This is just another easy remedy.
Thanks for the reply on removing rail dust. I did a google on the 3M adhesive remover you mentioned, however 3M has several types of this. There's Adhesive Remover for Surfaces, General Purpose Adhesive remover, Adhesive and Wax remover, and about 10 more kinds. Exactly which one did you use and where did you purchase it? Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
17 XTS Platinum V-Sport; 17 Buick Envision AWD Turbo; 10 Lincoln MKS AWD Twin Turbo
3,766 Posts
3M General Purpose Adhesive remover

^^ That's the one! I got mine at an autobody supply shop in town called "Finishmaster". It may be a chain. Not sure. I originally bought it to remove side mouldings and de-badge an 01 Tahoe I had. Then I tried it on road tar and it was the best stuff ever. So then I tried it on the rail dust. Trust me, I get a lot of it - mostly on tailgate section for some reason. My office is right near the GM rail lines.

Tips:

1. You will need to rub hard, be sure the truck is CLEAN before you start.

2. WEAR PLASTIC/LATEX gloves - this stuff is powerful and will irritate your hands.

3. When done, apply wax to areas it has been used on, as the remover removes the wax too.

Since I have dealt with this yearly on the same color as you, PM me with any other questions and I would be happy to speak on the phone about the process. And, if for some reason it does not work because the particles have been on there too long, I would follow hcvone's advice, as clay will do the trick too I am told. I just like the 3M because....it has many uses for me, is relatively cheap, and has worked well for this task.

Todd

1 - 12 of 12 Posts